Search Unity

Does Unity 5.5 is Stable release or not?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UNITY3D_TEAM, Dec 2, 2016.

?

Does Unity 5.5 is Stable release or not?

1. yes

28.3%
  2. no

32.1%
  3. Havent installed still

39.6%
  1. UNITY3D_TEAM

UNITY3D_TEAM

Does Unity 5.5 is Stable release or not?. vote yes or no.and comment about your experience

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's a little buggy so far but these are from what I can tell, random editor bugs.

Ryiah and UNITY3D_TEAM like this.
  4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Some minor issues here and there, but it generally seems pretty good. If you need any of the new things it has, go for it. Otherwise waiting for a 5.5.1 or something like that, is not a bad idea either.

UNITY3D_TEAM and Ryiah like this.
  5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

UNITY3D_TEAM and Ryiah like this.
  6. 00christian00

00christian00

Are you telling me they broke the iron rule that you need to wait for at least 5.5.1 for a stable version?
    You don't break a sacred tradition like this Unity, bad bad Unity!

7. neginfinity

neginfinity

Found few features I like in the "what's new" list.

Custom per-particle data, for example, per-light command buffers, etc.

Time to update, I suppose.

8. UNITY3D_TEAM

UNITY3D_TEAM

i have one big question does this working fine when building with android without any problem with android sdk and java?

9. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Unity might have a habit of breaking a few things when they upgrade. But they have yet to break an entire platform. I think you are good to go.

Ryiah likes this.
  10. I_Am_DreReid

I_Am_DreReid

Can't wait to download it and check it out, my internet connection is crapping out :(

UNITY3D_TEAM likes this.
  11. neginfinity

neginfinity

Kiwasi and Ryiah like this.
  12. 00christian00

00christian00

After 1 day of testing I am going back to 5.4.
    Guess the rule still do apply. Nothing major but many little bugs which are annoying and hurt my productivity.
    Things like profiler always throwing errors(which is marked as fixed btw), problems editing animation curves, impossible to disable animated shaders when not playing, some random freeze, changes in API behaviour(oh Unity how much you love doing it?), etc.

_Radagan likes this.
  13. UNITY3D_TEAM

UNITY3D_TEAM

so u saying animation systems throwing some errors?

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

A passive NavMeshAgent is expected to have no path. But this one has 2 polygons errors here :p

15. 00christian00

00christian00

Nothing so blocking,all minor things.
    When you edit an AnimationCurve( https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/AnimationCurve.html) and try to change the time of a key the curve disappear, leaving only 1 keyframe. It's an editor only issue.
    Everything I tested, playback related, worked more or less fine, but there are many annoying little things in the editor, and that was only 1 day of testing.
    Since I don't need 99% of the new features, I'll wait. The only thing that interest me are the new particle improvements and the trail renderer, but I am in no hurry to get them.

16. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Wait till unity 5.6 is released to get 5.5

JamesArndt, Shizola and Ironmax like this.
  17. daisySa

daisySa

We've been getting that one since 5.4.2f2. I was hoping that 5.5 would fix it, but... :(

It's not exactly the most descriptive message I've seen.

18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

This is really a little bit rushed, but Unity's aware of that I think, so weekly patches.

19. N1warhead

N1warhead

It may be just me. But I find the Android Builds suck now..

It will build once, then for like the next 10 times I run a build it doesn't recognize my device. Try unplugging device, try switching to all the difference USB choices (MTP, Charging only, camera, etc). And sometimes one of them work.

JamesArndt likes this.
  20. Player7

Player7

"Does Unity 5.5 is Stable release or not?"

Hmm I have come across one addon that is completely broken and doesn't even have compile errors, a nasty one I encountered just before 5.50f3. It was the copy component clipboard plugin that would crash Unity if you try removing a Missing Script from component.... There is also a bunch of other errors I've seen leading upto 0f3 some can be fixed/ignored by removing the Library folder and letting it do its thing again, and others just aren't going away until new patches come out as they just slip by unresolved.

Anyway compared to previous releases in the 5.x , 5.5 is better to me... I pretty much just move my project along with the beta releases now (not all of them, I skip some of them whenever) its a little easier to stay upto date on new things added and making changes to project in small increments (updating /throwing out outdated assets (that should be native UNITY!) etc) with any api changes that they do... not to say its the best way, certainly lots of bugs and project hold ups to be encountered.

If I was upgrading a project from an earlier version though I'd rather have dealt with all the changes over a longer time period in increments ie over a beta phase though. In some ways better than have a project completely broken with so many things to look at resolving jumping from minor/major releases.. And when looking at and doing it that way you will already know that 5.50f3 still has some annoying little bugs that won't get looked at or fixed until 5.6 (rarely do bigger required fixes and issues get completely backported to the older version that quickly, so its a no brainer for me, you have to stay on bleeding edge, and if you're indie why not, you're not exactly making game progress as fast as a studio with multiple people, where staying locked into a version makes more sense than trying to get keep everyone jumping around with unity beta releases it would have more of negative effect to productivity)

And that's why I now want to see the announcement for 5.6 beta, because 5.5 is old now :)

21. Meltdown

Meltdown

Works for me well so far, I'm just happy that the PhysX update hasn't broken my vehicle's physics :D

22. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I'm about to try trueSKY integration and then also vehicle physics for my 100% custom vehicle... fingers crossed!

I installed the update the other day, but have been waiting on a trueSKY update that I think came out yesterday.

23. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

This doesn't at all speak to the stability of the new version, but last time I tried something like this the shadows were just a patchy mess. I probably could have tuned to improve things, but now just by ramping up the shadow distance numbers...
    kilometers.jpg

After some quick testing my vehicles both seem to work exactly how they did yesterday on v 5.4.3. That's a wheeled vehicle using Edy's Vechicle Physics and a flying vehicle using custom physics-based controls.

I'll have to keep playing around to see how other things go, but so far I'm really happy. One of the biggest visual issues in my game is just gone, with virtually no work from me.

@aliceingameland, please pass on my thanks to the team!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  24. neginfinity

neginfinity

25. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

26. budukratok

budukratok

Looks like "deep profile" is not usable anymore. When it turned on, Unity is eating all of my RAM (14 GB for Unity process it's a record, huh). Maybe it's OK and I need to buy 32GB RAM? :)

27. UNITY3D_TEAM

UNITY3D_TEAM

good question .support need to answer this!.some one from support please answer!

28. budukratok

budukratok

Again about RAM usage of Deep Profile feature.
    On 5.4:

On 5.5:

(12 168 MB) of RAM and it just froze.

I think there is an issue :)

Tested on 3 different PC's - same result.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  29. budukratok

budukratok

And again - now with the error message:

30. hakankaraduman

hakankaraduman

It is not stable to me. I get freezes in the editor every 15 mins or so when compiling or debugging with visual studio. I need to close and reopen unity. Unfortunately I can't downgrade to 5.4 because scene assets are not compatible.

31. Velo222

Velo222

I like this thread. I was wondering myself whether or not 5.5 was stable enough to upgrade some of my major projects to it. I tend to like to wait for a bit, in order for them to get the "kinks" worked out.

This is some good info :)

32. iamthwee

iamthwee

I'm still on 5.2.3f1!

How many months do people normally wait before the latest is a viable option? Is it just preference?

33. Player7

Player7

Seems something wrong for you, for me deep profile mostly becomes less usable simply because it takes a year just to scrub the timeline over areas where without deep profiling something might have taken 100ms, with deep profile that same spike might be well over a 5000ms making it alot slower to navigate the events at that point. I'm not sure if something in 5.5 or 5.5part2 ie 5.6 is meant to address this and provide us with some improved debugging tools? Roadmap for 5.6 doesn't show much, maybe 5.7 ..yes hmmm where is that on the roadmap now...

34. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I don't generally wait for it to be "viable". I just update when updates have something I want/need, as opposed to when they happen to be released. Usually I skip lots of versions, but I've installed a few pretty much straight away lately.

Mind you, in doing so...
    ... everything is in version control so I never run this risk.

ZJP, Kiwasi, Ryiah and 1 other person like this.
  35. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

I upgraded my (fairly large for PC platform) project a few days ago and so far so good. I just had to change a few lines of code in compliance with the deprecated API warnings. I also had to update a few things in image effects to the ones from the 5.5 standard assets.

36. neginfinity

neginfinity

Downgraded to 5.4.x due to monodevelop breakpoint issues.

37. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Im not having any problems with it so far 5.5p3

38. neginfinity

neginfinity

39. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

I've only run into one issue so far, using 5.5.0p1. I just replaced my Motherboard and CPU so I had to reactivate. 5.5 was making me reactivate every time I launched it. I had to open an earlier 5.x version and activate from there, and now the activation is sticking.

40. derkoi

derkoi

Tried upgrading my main project and it just crashes on import. Not managed to trace the issue yet. Other projects have been fine. Typical luck in the world of game dev I suppose.

JamesArndt likes this.
  41. Green-Sauce-Games

Green-Sauce-Games

Try to run Unity as Administrator. it solved me a similar problem.

42. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

I shouldn't need to. :) But the problem was solved by activating 5.2.0 which carried over to 5.5.0p3 and it hasn't asked me to activate again.

43. 00christian00

00christian00

Saw it has reached 5.5.1 too soon, smell fishy but I wanted to give it a chance anyway.
    Tried the the latest patch, was greeted with a ton of " Extension was not registered" at start up.
    Not the best sign, guess I'll wait some more.

44. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

I've not done a lot with 5.5.1 but today I updated an AR application that was built in Unity 4.6. I went to 4.7.2 first just to be safe, then to 5.5.1p3. It utilized an older version of Vuforia and updating Vuforia was about the most painful part because it was a very manual process. The only real snag I ran into was some weird memory stream error when trying to import the package, then telling me the whole package had already been imported, requiring me to restore from backup and try again. Other than that, it went very well though. Built the package out to an APK and deployed to an older Android device running KitKat and it ran just fine.

Ryiah likes this.