Search Unity

[Discord Community] Game Dev Network

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LiamSorta, Feb 15, 2017.

1. LiamSorta

LiamSorta

Edited ~

Good day/morelikelynight Unity browserer
    , we run a lovely game development community over on Discord called GameDevNetwork, a place where everyone from total beginners to industry veterans can talk about cutting edge technology, their favourite Nintendo easter eggs or marketing tips for release.

We've got a bunch of channels to ensure the smooth running of chats, a few examples of these are:
    • Code - Solving bugs, asking all the questions
    • Art - Show off your awesome skills or get some pointers
    • Looking-for-members - A channel for forming groups, Rev-share/Unpaid projects here
    • lfm-paid-projects - Devs need to eat too, we separate all paid projects for visibility and require proof of a contract so that our devs are protected in their dealings.
    • legal-support - Curious about IPs? Work contracts? This is the place for you
    • Unity - We have a high percentage of Unity users as part of our community, if you have a query then I'm sure we've got someone to help!
    We also host a bunch of awesome competitions, be that in the form of monthly single-winner challenge events (last months was to sing Disney's Moana - How Far I'll Go) or Game Jams with a few awesome prizes here and there.

We're invested into making sure your developer experience is as smooth as possible, so whether you join us for a day or a year, we'll do our best to help you become the best developer you can be <3

Join us at: https://discord.gg/ApvAcpR

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    MaestroBlur and TSB-Game-Studio like this.
  2. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Cool - I'll take a look. There are a few other Discord servers that have a lot of discussion. More the merrier!

LiamSorta likes this.
  3. LiamSorta

LiamSorta

Great to have you, Tom! Super jealous of your desk.

Yeah, there are some brilliant servers out there such as Game Dev League and Unity Developer Hub, we're going for a slightly smaller community feel with ours :)

4. MaestroBlur

MaestroBlur

It is a really good server, id recommend it

LiamSorta likes this.
  5. zaxwlyde

zaxwlyde

I'd recommend it as well. Very friendly moderation team (admittedly one myself), we try to keep current and engaged with everyone, we have plenty of work available and more rising by the day, & lastly we are partnered or sponsored by a few other discords that help increase the networking capability you have within it!

If you see this thread, go ahead and give us a whirl, you won't regret it!

LiamSorta likes this.
  6. Devonax

Devonax

I have been part of this community for 2 weeks now and I'm happy I found it.

People here are nice and understanding. You can talk about anything and there is always someone that will listen or help you out. Are you working with unity, making your first game or you just have some problem with coding or components? Then there is the Unity channel and people taking their time helping you out. Are you a music creator then you can talk to other composers and learn from them, hear their creations and start making connections for the future.

you like talking about games? are you a 2D artist? Do you love modeling and want to learn more and get in touch with other professional artist? Are you part of a group that creates indie games and need more people to make your game a reality? looking for work as a freelancer? This community has it all..

they are friendly, understanding, patient and they love sharing their work and knowledge.. I'm happy I found them and I believe I made some friends while being there. Liam is awesome and is helping me out alot aswell.

you would be doing yourself a disservice not to be part of it :)
    Even if you think you are already part of many other groups, think about it, The more connections you make the better it would be for your skills, knowledge or group..

I just wanted to share this.

LiamSorta likes this.
  7. LiamSorta

LiamSorta

Thank you so much! I'm incredibly happy that you've had such a positive experience :) It means a great deal to me.

Thanks to everyone for your involvement with this community so far, we've seen some outstanding pieces of work from our members and seen many a new dev gain more confident in their ability over the last few weeks.

8. davethegoliath

davethegoliath

yoooo it's ya boy dave, i'm a composer and i just wanted to share my story with GDN -- Liam posted in a game dev facebook group where I'm a member, admittedly a pretty small group local to my city (maybe 40 to 50 members). this was after my first game jam experience (GGJ). i had never thought that i'd be able to write music for video games, honestly!! i immediately joined, and almost just as fast had a group to work with. it's been a great place to learn new things, talk to people, and make connections.

AND NOW I'M MAKING A VIDEO GAME. i'm doing story + sound. it's wild.

i'm incredibly grateful for the server, honestly. it could not have come along at a better time for me :)

9. LiamSorta

LiamSorta

Thanks for the feedback Dave :) It's really nice to see how active our community is!
    We've hit 300 members in less than a month, incredibly proud of you guys <3

10. Hawsaw

Hawsaw

I'll check it out :) I've wanted to get involved with some more communities

LiamSorta likes this.
  11. Kxng

Kxng

Sounds Interesting

LiamSorta likes this.
  12. Dewelly

Dewelly

Top community, made some good connections already, happy to be part of history in the making.

LiamSorta likes this.
  13. LiamSorta

LiamSorta

Lil bump, we're hosting our second game jam at the start of next month! I'm thrilled with the progress we've been making as a community, starting from this post and now about to reach out 1000 member milestone :eek:

For anyone interested in the jam: https://itch.io/jam/game-dev-network-blueberry-jam

14. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

^ Can confirm. This is a tip top community that's helped me out enormously at the beginning.

LiamSorta likes this.
  15. LiamSorta

LiamSorta

16. LiamSorta

LiamSorta

Hello everyone!

It's been an incredible journey so far over at GameDevNetwork, from welcoming a whopping 3500 developers to hosting 5 jams with 150 individual entries, I wanted to share with you all our upcoming event!

For the festive holidays, we will be running the 'Big Festive Jam', a game jam running from December 8th-17th where we will also be running a raffle in support of SpecialEffect, a charity dedicated to bringing the incredible experiences you all create to disabled gamers. Charity link: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/gamedevnetwork

Want to join in? Sign up at: https://itch.io/jam/gamedevnetwork-the-big-festive-game-jam
    No team? No problem: http://crowdforge.io/jams/gdn

Have a wonderful day!~

17. Louisar92

Louisar92

:( you kicked me out dude!! I only meant I was leaving the 3d stuff for now and to try the 2D development side of things :'( one very hurt wolfa! :( Mommawolfa btw!! :'(

18. LiamSorta

LiamSorta

Hi Mommawolfa,

While we don't discuss bans publically, we only issue them in the event of a unanimous concern from our moderation team. That said, your posts about development had nothing to do with the team's decision.

I wish you all the best!

19. officialkattenelvis

officialkattenelvis

I feel like I was unjustly banned from this Server. Can you please unban me? Username Katten#3120