Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Discontinuation of Unity support for BlackBerry 10

Discussion in 'BlackBerry' started by Aurore, Jun 11, 2015.

1. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

So what now 5.1.4 was released and the last 5.1x release.

No more BlackBerry support, sad that issue's where left not fixed, they should have duty to solve them all.
    For the first time I can say Unity management s***. Lets go silent tactic, best so it seems.

For the Blackberry developers thank you and great work on trying to fix as much as possible before the end date. Much appreciated Alex and team. I guess you will be moving onto other development work now like Tizen that no one really develops for ;-)

Jonny-Roy and Wadjey like this.
  2. mr_zog

mr_zog

It would be interesting, if it is an option to get things fixed via paid support. Could anybody from Unity comment on this?

Partly, I understand Unity dropping BB, as BB themselves don't seem very dedicated to BB10 or even their own devices anymore (just like with Flash).
    On the other hand, hearing Unity will grow up to 500 employees, it's hard to imagine they can't afford one guy to maintain the BB platform.

We keep getting bug reports from users that unity games freeze on passports.

MrEsquire likes this.
  3. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Well to me, I already paid, Unity announced BlackBerry support, and PS Vita via PSM support I buy a Pro license, both are dropped...granted PSM was out of there hands, but on both occasions Unity said they was not dropping either while knowing full well they were. I just don't understand why BlackBerry can't be open sourced, they have no interest in it, allow us that do to fix the issues ourselves.

lloydsummers likes this.
  4. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Agreed, what annoys me is Unity taking usual approach of just being silent about the issue.
    They made posting they dropping it and not allowing for further discussion.
    Least some agreement with customers and developers.

lloydsummers and Jonny-Roy like this.
  5. QA-for-life

QA-for-life

Unity Technologies

Generally, you don't get any guarantees that a bug you encounter will be fixed, even if you have paid support. Support will help you find workarounds, sometimes escalate priority on bugs and sustained engineering might be able to look at it, but some bugs simply have to be fixed by the developer of the feature. Blackberry is one such platform, among many others.

But even more, once we stop supporting a platform, it means it drops from paid support as well.

I think I'll venture a bit of explanation to the whole "support a platform" discussion, and although I don't think you will like it, at least it is the truth from my chair.

When we take on these minor and new platforms, there is no real incentive for Unity as a company to do them. Unity has always been about the masses. For that reason we partner up with the platform holder and they often pay us to take on work which has very little financial value for Unity. Supporting a new platform is a massive investment and we don't go into that without some hope of getting it paid back.

Blackberry was one such platform. Usually we have a contract for x time to support such a platform. That time is really the time the platform has to prove it can survive, gain the community and become a factor in the ecosystem. By the end of the contract, we (Unity) have to look at whether it makes sense to put continued effort into the platform ESPECIALLY if the platform holder decides NOT to do it. I hope that gives some sort of insight as to why it happens.

As for the guys mentioning they got pro only because of Blackberry: Was that really a requirement? Didn't we make BB free together with all the other platforms?

6. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Yes, but I BB and PSM gave me the incentive to go Pro, I didn't want to be just a free user, I'm also Pro Android and iOS, BlackBerry is my most profitable platform, initially I was annoyed with Unity for the removal of BlackBerry, but your post actually clears things up and things make more sense. As to how I sideline my existing plans from BlackBerry to other platforms at this point I'm not sure, BlackBerry was an eager audience to please, the others are very saturated, but I'll find a way.

Thank you for the explanation it really helps to understand, it could really have come much earlier, and to be honest it would have helped if we wasn't told BlackBerry would not be dropped when it was already in the plans.

7. QA-for-life

QA-for-life

Unity Technologies

The thing is, we can't go out and say we will drop support for it before we (and the platform holder) have made the decision. If we went out early to say we *might* drop it, it would be the same as a death sentence without trial. I'm afraid this course of events is unavoidable, but I understand the frustration for you. It's also very complicated internally to plan around these kinds of unknowns.

Jonny-Roy likes this.
  8. mr_zog

mr_zog

Thanks for the response.

What I meant with paid support is, how much $$$ do you want to fix bug X or implement feature Y.
    You probably still got the BB guy employed, what's his wage + your cut = why don't you offer that?
    E.g. what would be possible for 5.000$, what for 10.000$?
    It's not about the sunken costs you spent ... it's about maintenance to a certain point.
    Namely a point, where a developer is still able to release a stable app.

If we know the price, we can try to setup the budget.

We are still on 4.6, because as we wanted to convert to 5.x, it was crashing on all ends (BB, WinStore, lightmaps in general). I don't even want to think about what's still not working, especially on BB10. And unfortunately, we don't have the time to create repros for your QA team for bugs that should occur if you test the stuff you develop.

9. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

I do appreciate the honesty, I wish this thread was created with more substance than it was.

Remember making a product or feature set free later does not automatically negate previous purchases. It isn't like many of us ran out and bought the pro add-on in the last few weeks just for BlackBerry.

I'm curious about what you are implying here or if you are unaware of your product history, which I doubt as a QA Director. In 4.x, if we wanted things plenty of features such as profiler, level loading, camera on a texture etc were limited to pro. In fact, you originally marketed BlackBerry Pro as a 1,500 add-on and if I remember right, changed pricing 3 times even mid-beta for BlackBerry (which I was fortunate to be part of). Note as well missing features became free for personal long after many of us paid. In my case it was camera to texture I needed to purchase for use in a game - I was tired of hitting roadblocks in your free version, I wanted to support Unity for supporting BlackBerry and to get rid of that god awful (sorry) year 2000-esque Unity launch logo. Finally, note at the time pro only came with BlackBerry & Desktop use (which I still have never used) underlining that the only reason I've ever used Pro is for BlackBerry.

Does the reason really matter though? The responsible thing would be to stand by your companies marketing decisions and assume there was a value to your pro license at the time and that some developers may not have qualified for personal licenses. Could someone save cash and use only the free version today for BlackBerry? I'd say yes in some cases, its almost stable (I stopped reporting bugs myself), and I certainly no longer see value in the current pro licensing model.

Regardless, it isn't like we all individually decided "hey lets buy something unrelated to the platform I want for 1,500 dollars". I suspect we are all reasonably intelligent human beings and obviously purchased the upgrade for a reason. If you are honestly asking what features made us purchase pro, I recommend discussing with your own marketing team what was advertised and consider a separate thread to gather more broad responses.

I find it fascinating how this reason used to be enough for your company to market us and email us to "go pro". Yet barely a year later employees from the same company are suggesting "That's a bad choice you made, we eventually made it free for everyone, why did you buy that?". If you think deeper about, there really is no value in us justifying our purchase to you except to breed hostility. I'm personally just considering this an unfortunate loss, the pro license was devalued by the free-personal change, and opportunities for refunds were poorly communicated and restricted by purchase date. I use it as a reminder of how my relationship with Unity is not always going to be positive.

Does this sufficiently address the question, or do you see value in me gathering more responses from other BlackBerry developers I know?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    Elkis likes this.
  10. grosssmutttr

grosssmutttr

Not supporting a platform anymore is no problem when you really let the users of your product know.
    This "Christian Church" tactic isn't the best way to drop support.

Just upgraded to 5.2.2 and wondered why my app isn't working anymore.
    Ok I found out that it is set to Web Player in the Build settings and tried to switch the platform back to BlackBerry. Oh wait! It isn't working anymore :mad:

This is how I discovered that Unity doesn't support BB anymore and that's what s****.

11. christougher

christougher

Just noticed BB support was dropped. I recently updated everything in my project to 5.3.0. I still see Blackberry listed as a potential build platform however the module is not installed nor is it visible when I run the Unity installer. Is it still possible to built to BB with 5.3? If so where can I get the module? Thx.

12. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I do not think it is, dunno why you still can see it there, they should have removed it by now.

13. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

Yes still in the process of removing it. I'm not sure why it still shows up I thought I had hid the option.... I'll look into that again.

14. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Can confirm it exists on 5.3.1patch2 - using MacOSX

15. mr_zog

mr_zog

For the slow ones: does this mean you can still export to BB with 5.3.1?
    Does it work?

16. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

Nope the module isn't shipped with the installer anymore so it isn't possible to deploy to blackberry in 5.3.x

17. christougher

christougher

Soooo, just to clarify... what is the latest version of unity that can build for Blackberry 10? Thx. 5.1.4? Will 5.2.x work still?

18. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

@christougher
    Yes, 5.1.4 is the last version that supports Blackberry. Sadly, but true.

lloydsummers likes this.