Search Unity

Dinky Dungeon Level Generator - RELEASED!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DaphydTheBard, Mar 30, 2012.

1. DaphydTheBard

DaphydTheBard

The Dinky Dungeon Level Generator is now live on the Asset Store!

Get it here: http://u3d.as/content/vertex-stream/dinky-dungeon-level-generator/2Ni

Note: Requires the Dinky Dungeon Tileset

VERSION 1.2 - NOW WITH RUN-TIME SUPPORT!

Want to create randomized, customizable, instantly playable levels for your game - with a single click? Then you need the Dinky Dungeon Level Generator!

Features:

* Based on our popular Dungeon Level Generator

* Re-designed from the ground up to work with the Dinky Dungeon Tileset!

* Fully endorsed by Phex3D, the creator of the Dinky Dungeon Tileset

* Supports the new 1x2 and 2x2 room sizes, and new interior models / decorations in the latest update!

* New decorator feature can populate your dungeons with furniture, monsters, etc.

* Loads of decorator prefabs out of the box - crypts, libraries, dining halls, barracks, etc. - or add your own!

* One-Click Dungeons: generate complete levels effortlessly. It's as simple as clicking a button!

* Full documentation and an example scene included - and lots of updates planned!

Note: The Dinky Dungeon Tileset is NOT INCLUDED as part of this package. Get it here:

http://u3d.as/content/phex3d/dinky-dungeon-tileset/2bH

$shot5.png
    $shot3.png

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  2. EvilDingo

EvilDingo

I bought this. When I click on "Generate" in the demo scene Unity gets an exception:

UnityException: Tag: DOOR is not defined!
    coDungeonImplementorDinky.CreateDoor (.coDungeonGenerator dG, Vector3 pos, enCellDirection dir) (at Assets/DinkyDungeon_Tileset/_Dungeon_LevelGenerator/Scripts/Implementors/coDungeonImplementorDinky.cs:1534)
    coDungeonImplementorDinky.ImplementDungeon () (at Assets/DinkyDungeon_Tileset/_Dungeon_LevelGenerator/Scripts/Implementors/coDungeonImplementorDinky.cs:1315)
    ceDungeonGenerator.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/DinkyDungeon_Tileset/_Dungeon_LevelGenerator/Scripts/Editor/ceDungeonGenerator.cs:66)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditors (Boolean isRepaintEvent, UnityEditor.Editor[] editors, Boolean eyeDropperDirty) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/b0bcff80449a48aa/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:886)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.OnGUI () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/b0bcff80449a48aa/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:243)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)

--

I have the Dinky Dungeon tileset which I imported first. I haven't made any changes to anything and only opened the demo scene and tried to generate a dungeon. It looks like it creates a single room and that's it.

There aren't a lot of comments in your code so I didn't really dig too much to see if it was something simple. Any idea?

Edit: Interestingly, it's setting the tag that's causing one of the issues. If I comment out the line that sets the DOOR tag, the dungeon generates (with doors).

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  3. DaphydTheBard

DaphydTheBard

EvilDingo

Apologies, this one slipped through the net.

You need to create a tag in your project called "DOOR" and this error won't happen. I shall update the documentation immediately and post an update today.

I will also modify the code so that if the tag is missing, it will spit out a warning (and not crash...)

The tag is used by the generation code to prevent adjacent doors from being placed when two (or more) rooms border each other.

I apologize again for any frustration this may have caused.

Dave

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  4. Newbquest

Newbquest

This looks awesome!

5. DaphydTheBard

DaphydTheBard

Thank you :) A lot of work went into this.

6. phex

phex

Yes - thank you :)

7. DaphydTheBard

DaphydTheBard

Firstly, a big thank you to those of you who have already bought a copy of this product. Your support is greatly appreciated!

We are trying to set up a business focusing on producing tools for unity users that generate content dynamically and rapidly (hence our level generator products).

I would like to put a question to our users - both existing and potential:

What sort of new features would you most like to see in future updates for this package?

Thanks

Dave
    Vertex Stream Games

8. Jaimi

Jaimi

Generators for other packages. Example:

http://dexsoft-games.com/models/cave_creator.html

http://arteria3d.corecommerce.com/3D-Content-Packs/Medieval-Fantasy/Medieval-Sewer-Pack.html

http://dexsoft-games.com/models/scifi_corridors2.html
    http://dexsoft-games.com/models/scifi_corridorsCS.html
    http://dexsoft-games.com/models/scifi_storage.html

http://www.unitymagic.com/shop/en/assets/modular-sewer-pack.html

or even (new product?)

Village generators!

Fantasy village pack:
    http://u3d.as/publisher/mindscape3d/1Gr

Dexsoft and Arteria both have many village packs as well.

9. RoyS

RoyS

Will order this as soon as I get my upgrade of Dinky Dungeon from Game Prefabs. This looks fun!

10. TylerO

TylerO

I have also bought this, and am loving it, however, adding support for generation at runtime would be amazing - and I will increase my rating from 4 stars to 5 stars :)

Aside from that, love this, was easily worth the $30, and I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone that wants to create some beautiful dungeons in a single click (and hopefully at runtime in the future!)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  11. TylerO

TylerO

Sorry about the double post, I accidentally pressed "Reply with Quote" to my above post, rather than edit XD

However, to add to my above post, if you could add monster placement (which i believe your old generator had) that would also be great, but not a deal breaker since such a feature I (and anyone else) can easily add :p

with that said, keep up the good work!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  12. DaphydTheBard

DaphydTheBard

Hi TylerO

Regarding monster placement - you can use the decorator system to achieve exactly this.

Simply create some decorator prefabs that include your monster objects, assign to the relevant rooms, and you're good to go.

13. DaphydTheBard

DaphydTheBard

It's coming :)

14. DaphydTheBard

DaphydTheBard

Ok guys

For those of you who can't wait for an official release, here is the official script that will be included in the update to add runtime support.

Instructions:

Import into your project.
    Attach it to a gameobject which also has the other dungeon scripts attached (generator, implementor, decorator).
    If you now run the game, you have a button you can click which will generate dungeons at run-time.

If anyone needs any help adapting the script to work under other scenarios, please feel free to drop me a PM.

Update will be out soon (when I can squeeze in the time!)

Cheers

Dave

Attached Files:

15. TylerO

TylerO

New runtime generation support is an awesome addition to the system, David helped me get this working personally (before he even posted it!) Its nice to have a developer that personally supports its customers and their products!

Overall, the system feels much more complete now and works like a charm, upgraded my rating from 4 to 5 stars as promised :) If you're looking for a dungeon generator, look no further than dinky... easily worth it and then some! :)

16. DaphydTheBard

DaphydTheBard

Thanks for the positive feedback Tyler :)

17. DaphydTheBard

DaphydTheBard

Hey Guys, v1.2 is out, which now includes run-time generation.

Thanks!

18. icetear

icetear

Hello Daphyd!

Great, thank you! But I can't compile it...

Assets/DinkyDungeon_Tileset/_Dungeon_LevelGenerator/Scripts/RunTimeSupport/csRuntimeGenerator.cs(8,17): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `coDungeonGenerator' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Any help with this error by chance?
    Thank you very much!
    Regards
    Mario

19. Eyehawk

Eyehawk

Hi DaphydTheBard, how much effort would be required to adapt a different tileset to this package? I have noobish to ok-ish scripting skills.

20. GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan

Hello, I'm pretty interested in this for a future project. I just have two quick questions.

1- Can I use it with other tile sets besides dinky dungeon. In particular would I be able to make my own tileset and use it.

2- Will it also place furniture and other decorations around the level?

Thanks!

21. StaticNova

StaticNova

Really curious about this also!

22. blackant

blackant

i have the same problem while i try to compile for windows

Assets/DungeonCreator/CoreScripts/ceDungeonGenerator.cs(2,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UnityEditor' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

any help is welcome

23. Jaimi

Jaimi

You need to place it in a folder named "Editor".

24. blackant

blackant

thanks !

it solved this problem and fund a new one :D

25. demonixis

demonixis

Hi,

I'm very interested by your product but can I use it with my custom assets, without the "Dinky Dungeon Tileset" ? Thanks