Search Unity

DictationRecognizer completed unsuccessfully: UnknownError

Discussion in 'VR' started by Hodgson_SDAS, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Hodgson_SDAS

Hodgson_SDAS

I'm trying to use the Dictation Recognizer but keep getting an completed unsuccessfully unknown error.

I've ensured all capabilities and settings are correct.
    Microphone, InternetClient, and device privacy settings are all configured appropriately.

Still getting this error.

I know this used to work, because I wrote the script almost a year ago.

Anyone else getting this error?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  2. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

What version of unity are you using? Also, is this happening during runtime on the device or using emulation in the editor?

3. Hodgson_SDAS

Hodgson_SDAS

5.5.1p3 - Doesn't work in editor.

case # 883241

Have not tested on emulator nor device.

4. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

I don't believe speech and photo capture is supported in emulation for the editor. There is a plan to to get this supported in the editor, unsure of the dates for this work.

Hodgson_SDAS likes this.
  5. Hodgson_SDAS

Hodgson_SDAS

Hmm, the Windows.Speech libraries do work for the most part. Just the DictationRecognizer fails.

Used to work in the past, so I'm unsure what the delta is.

It does seem to run for about 50 update loops before it fails.
    I've even tried initializing and starting it well after the scene has started using a button.

Attached Files:

6. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

I have seen the same issue as well, I can talk to the team again. I think I will get the same answer as above from them.

You could try changing your timeout time to see if that helps your issue.

Hodgson_SDAS likes this.
  7. pfreese

pfreese

Unity Technologies

Interesting. This has been a reported issue that we're still working to resolve with Microsoft, but only affecting 64-bit builds of Unity. If you're seeing a failure with 32-bit builds (I'm assuming so, since you're posting here on the HoloLens sub-forum), this might be a new issue we haven't seen reported.

8. Hodgson_SDAS

Hodgson_SDAS

Hey Wesley, changing the timeout didn't seem to fix this issue.

Pfreese, no worries, I'm currently using the 64 bit editor. Sounds like a library didn't get updated properly or something. If it's being compiled from C++ don't see why x86 would work and x64 fail, unless there's some dependency on an x86 process.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  9. MMOARgames

MMOARgames

I got a better description of the Error.
    ERROR: StartAsync on the continuous recognition session failed unexpectedly! [Operation has failed with error 0x80045509: (null)]

[Edit]
    Forgot to change windows settings.
    If someone is getting this error be sure to check out this link.

After updating my windows settings I'm just getting a failed status from the dictation recognizer but no error codes.
    Unity 5.5.1p3 both 64 & 32 editor builds fail.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  10. StephenHodgson-Valorem

StephenHodgson-Valorem

Hey guys, any update on this? Still broken in 5.5.2f1

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  11. WalkupAndAway

WalkupAndAway

Running into this same issue, and from what I've read, it sounds like a fix is all up to Microsoft. Can you guys verify that? Also, any advice on alternate speech recognition tools for the time being?

12. simonejennings

simonejennings

This error seems to be fixed on the new Windows 10 update: windows 10 creator. (usually I like to wait before I update windows, but unfortunately had to update manually so I could continue working on my project)

13. StephenHodgson-Valorem

StephenHodgson-Valorem

I too am now able to get the DictationRecognizer to run and get results back after the creators update.

Although now I am sometimes getting "Assertion failed on expression: 'SUCCEEDED(hr)'" when cancelling the input.

Bug Case 905005

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  14. alexchandriyaa

alexchandriyaa

any solution for this problem?? Voice recognition is not working in unity

15. StephenHodgson-Valorem

StephenHodgson-Valorem

16. unity_andrewc

unity_andrewc

Unity Technologies

I had to dig through some bug case links, but it appears this is a problem with user settings in the OS that we aren't reporting in a helpful way.

The following was written up in a comment on a bug case internally when he looked into this issue:

"This issue is caused by Speech Dictation not being permitted in the users privacy settings. My guess as to why this regression occurred is that at some point, the default permissions in Windows 10 for speech dictation changed from enabled to disabled. Users can check their settings with Settings->Privacy->Speech, inking & typing. If the button text is 'Get to know me', dictation is not enabled. When dictation is enabled, the button text will changed to 'Stop getting to know me'."

Looking at the OS settings on my RS2 Windows 10 machine right now, it seems that the "Get to know me" and "Stop getting to know me" buttons have changed to "Turn on/off speech services and typing suggestions" instead, but I would assume it's still the same issue.

I'll ask QA to file a bug against this to make sure we report this in a far more helpful way than an general failure message.

17. StephenHodgson-Valorem

StephenHodgson-Valorem

I've been able to get this to work successfully. Thanks Andrew.

18. xabylilis7

xabylilis7

Do you know if the dictation problem is still not working.. please, I need to know some information about it !

19. StephenHodgson-Valorem

StephenHodgson-Valorem

It is fixed in the mixed reality toolkit.

20. xabylilis7

xabylilis7

Thank you Stephen, one more thing, if I just want to use dictation with VR, does it work ? and is necesary to install Windows Creators??