Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Developing a high quality 2d point and click advenure game from scratch.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by giorgos_gs, Jul 22, 2016.

1. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

If you want to say something to help me with my task please do.

For the ones that want to know how I make the animations I make everything inside the Unity Editor with Mecanim and Puppet2D. For the path finding I use PolyNav2D. I use the latest Unity and asset bundles for the graphics and sounds.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  2. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I started the front walking. Its difficult so I need your help. My first animation is this.

3. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

It's way more difficult from the side walking because its pseudo 3D front and back movement. I could use your comments to fix this. Is this ok? I think something is missing and it looks odd..

4. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

And here it is with a background:

I am waiting for your valuable feedback to make this better...

5. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

6. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Ok, I made some improvements myself.
    I changed the feet so that the knee goes more straight, also the foot and shoe has elasticity.
    Then I made the head turn more and the palms and arms to seem a little more relaxed.

What do you guys think? Please advice..

7. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

I like it. It's getting there. The knee (to the left in the picture, character's right knee) looks a bit "shakey", don't know if it's the picture or if it's actually like that, but could be worth checking.
    Edit: Looking a bit more at the animation with the background, the legs need work altogether. They scale too much in comparison to the (assumed) distance covered. This also makes them "flatten".

Will the character scale while walking in depth? I don't know what kind of areas and of what depth you've imagined, but it would probably do more than scaling individual parts of the character.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  8. iamthwee

iamthwee

No... this is all wrong. I would suggest you need to create brand new sprites for forward motion, it looks like you're trying to fudge it (cut corners) with rudimentary scaling. That's not going to work.

The other thing I'd highly consider before going any further, is how important is sideward and 3/4 motion to your game? Some people just get away with a side scrolling game left right up and down.

As a quick tip for the front animation I found this, it might be of use.

https://design.tutsplus.com/tutoria...racter-walking-from-the-front-view--cms-25975

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    _M_S_D_ likes this.
  9. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Thanks for the link and the feedback. I cannot create new poses for the front walking because the FPS will be limited to the poses I will create. But now all the rest game runs in 60FPS and I dont want to change that. So I will have to find a way to work with the current sprites (maybe add another foot when it comes front).

Also I know that most games does not have sideward and 3/4 motion but I want my game to have motion to all possible angles to be more detailed. My previous game had only side scrolling.

10. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Yes it looks odd when walking in a background. It needs more work. Also yes the character will scale while walking in depth.

11. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Thanks for the feedback, I will try to make it better and show it.

12. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I made the animation from the beginning. I made smaller steps to match with the background. Then I worked more on the feet fingers to look more 3D..ish and on the hands to look relaxed. I move the body a little to seem like turning. The video helped me a lot with all these. Here it is:

PitHeimes likes this.
  13. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

And here is the walking with the background. Its not matching exactly because it needs to scale to smaller when it comes down. I will do this later.

Now I really need your comments guys... thanks

14. iamthwee

iamthwee

No still doesn't work I'm afraid. Try again.

15. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

The animation is not good or it does not work with the background?

16. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I have given the legs more movement to sync with the background. Then I have brought the knees in to look realistic. I have sync the head also. Here it is.

17. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Now it syncs with the background fine and with the other poses at the same speed. This is too much work!

18. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Is it better?

19. iamthwee

iamthwee

No still not quite there. The top half looks OK the legs and feet look wrong.

20. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Any suggestions for the feet? Is it the knees? Do I need to bring them inwords, closer to the sprite center?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  21. iamthwee

iamthwee

I think the knees move 'out' too much and so do the feet... length wise they seem too small. This is why it looks 'weird.'

It is of course difficult to convey such motion facing the front, especially using bones.

When the foot walks forward, you should really being seeing the 'underside' of his sandal, which is why I said you would have to create a different sprite, for these poses.

You just can't cut corners if you want to 'develop a high quality 2d point and click' game.

I guess you now know how much effort goes into animating especially those disney movies and cartoons we sometimes watch. Try again and I'll tell you if I'm happy with the result, at the moment you've captured the sideways motion nicely, the front and 3/4 motion is a long way off perfect.

22. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

You are right, I will try again and show it here.

23. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I moved the knees and feet inside. Also when the feet comes to the camera I moved them more towards the camera to look like longer and stop the weird short legs look. I didnt have time to put the underside of the sandals yet. Is it better?

Thanks for the help so far, you really helped.

24. iamthwee

iamthwee

It looks better, but the underside of the sandals should add the final touches to make it perfect.

Remember there should be no lateral (side to side motion of the foot in the front view.)

If you do the underside of the sandal that should fix it.

25. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I want to do it but the feet are meshes and I cannot break the foot apart, I will ruin all my current work. The only way is to add an underside sprite mesh on top of each foot, I have to sync it perfectly.

26. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I removed the lateral movement of the feet fingers without putting extra sprites (its hard to add another sprite on top the foot sprites). Now there is no side motions. Is it ok now or do you think the underside sprite is a must..

27. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

testing

28. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Sorry for this late respond but I am having issues with this forum. I cannot write/edit/delete my own posts in page 2. Support cannot help me, they say its a known issue and I should wait... Anyway I found a hack to write in my own forum...

29. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

To sum up, so far I have corrected walking states of 3/4 side front and back and walking front. Can you please review these 3 movements and share your comments to me. So far you have been a great help and I hope to hear more comments from you guys. thanks..

30. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Any comments on the animation? I would appreciate it...

31. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Ok, now I am making the last pose. That is looking inside (seeing his back). When I have more, I will post it.

32. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Ok I made the first version of walking with the back. Can you please check it and tell me how to make it look better? Thanks in advance.

33. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I finally finished all walking poses. It was too much work for one person! The hardest part was to syn all poses feet so when he turns it will look natural. Here is an example changing all poses fast.

Do you guys have any remarks for improvements? thanks