Search Unity

Detonator package not working in standalone builds

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by dregsor, Nov 5, 2013.

1. dregsor

dregsor

Just upgraded to Unity 4.2. When I build to PC standalone
    or the web player, Detonator explosions do not work.
    I've tried a bunch of stuff but no luck figuring this out.
    Searched the forums and Google with no success so far.

Anyone have a clue what the problem might be?

Unity free version 4.2.2
    Windows 7 64bit

2. twiesner

twiesner

What is the console saying?

3. dregsor

dregsor

Thanks for the fast response twiesner.

I'm having this issue running from a stand alone PC build. It works fine
    running from the Unity editor. I'm not sure I understand the context of your
    question regarding console output?

4. twiesner

twiesner

ctrl+shift+c in unity on a pc will bring up the console. Run the scene in the editor and check the console and it will tell you if there are any errors or warnings in the scene. I'm pretty sure the code for that package needs to be updated as some of it may be obsolete or removed from unity.

5. dregsor

dregsor

I always keep the editor console up on a separate monitor. No errors or warnings when
    running in the editor.

I downloaded and installed the package after I upgraded. I'll do it again just to make sure.

Someone must have had this problem so hopefully they will reply. It's the first time
    I've ever had the issue, and like you said, the package may need to be updated.

Thanks for the tips.

6. electricsauce

electricsauce

In the detonator folder, drag the preb, supporting emitter, sounds, and system folders into the resources folder so that they are included in the build. That's how I got it working in the planet link in my sig.

7. dregsor

dregsor

electricsauce, you are the man! (or woman if your a woman :)

I assumed all that was included automatically in the build. Guess that
    changed in the newer releases. So THANK YOU!!!

On a side note, I have a shadow below all my explosions. I've turned
    shadows off everywhere and tried other things but no luck. Ever have this problem?

Once again I can't thank you enough for taking the time to help out. Your karma is strong!

8. electricsauce

electricsauce

No problem. I'm not sure this will help with the shadows, but if you look in the sample supporting emitters folder, there are some particle systems and objects. Try turning off the shadows on those particle and mesh renderers.

9. IamKevinRichardson

IamKevinRichardson

This didn't work for me. I dragged all of the folders from the detonator's folder in my project into the resources folder of my game build and nothing happened. Then I went through and dragged all the individual files from every single folder of the detonator section of the project into the resources folder of the build and that still has not worked. What the flip? I also read that your main camera has to be tagged as MainCamera and I made sure mine was... still only working during the editor and not in the build... Am I dragging the wrong stuff into the wrong folders?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  10. IamKevinRichardson

IamKevinRichardson

Nevermind. I got it. It seemed to be generating the explosions without me having to manually enter the materials during while playing in the editor but in order for it to work in the build every single material had to be entered into the prefab.