Search Unity

[DEPRECATED] UnityCar 2.2 Pro. The most complete and accurate vehicle sim on Unity3D

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by newlife, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newlife

newlife

Hi tia,
    the included InputManager is already setup for the G27. If you want to use the shifter, you have to select "shifter" in inspector, driveLine section.
    Let me know if this work for you.
    In any case you can contact me on skype:michele.dilena

2. phikachu

phikachu

There's no instructions whatsoever on how to get this working for mobile devices.

I have played around with the code to no avail. The car controllers doesn't even work for me in the unity player. When I create a fresh copy of the project and run it, the only way to drive the car is to enable mouse controls as the arrow or WASD doesn't work.

So far, I can build to iOS and I've managed to put a single car onto a flat plain so the frame rate is acceptable. However, there's no means of controlling the car.

If someone has achieved this then could you let us know how it's done.

Thanks in advance.

3. newlife

newlife

Hi phikachu,
    I give support to all my clients via skype and email. Why didnt you contact me before writing here?
    However In order to make UnityCar work on mobile device you have to include (and select) MobileController in your car.
    I cant understand here why you cant use keyboards controller in your project, you have to explain me better whats going on.
    Contact me on skype: michele.dilena or via email unitycar@unitypackages.net

4. lockbox

lockbox

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  5. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

I know you are not asking me so I apologize if I'm sticking my nose where it's not wanted, but the simple solution here is to adjust the scale of the mesh in your modelling software before exporting, but its not necessary. I have rigged several cars with unitycar, and I do mean SEVERAL, and have not had a single issue with scale so long as you set the scale of the mesh on the import settings dialog, rather then adjust the scale in the inspector, making any changes to the scale in the inspector will send your wheels flying off into space lol.

6. lockbox

lockbox

Thanks for chiming in. It's all good.

Here is one of the videos. Watch the first 1:15 seconds. Thoughts? Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21zuMIsy2GM

7. Meltdown

Meltdown

None of the image links to the demo's in the original post work.

8. phikachu

phikachu

I thought it might be relevant as there were other posts regarding getting unity car to work on mobile devices that were answered but the solution to fix the controller issue was still far from clear.

I have added you on Skype, if you can help me get it to work then I'd be more than happy to write up the steps needed to get it working on mobile and post them here. What we really need is an example built just for mobile devices.

Thanks

9. yarore

yarore

Hello.

Yesterday, I was paying the money your unity packages.

Your E-Mail did not reach yet.

I hope today can receive.

10. newlife

newlife

Hello JungJin,
    sorry for the late. You should have received an email with the instructions to download UnityCar package.

11. screenracer

screenracer

I have enjoyed working with my partner on this project using unity car. But right now I am having some issues with how the body will unweld or break faces in the 3dmesh. I would like it to bend, not break.

I have tracked down it has something to do with the unwrap, but I cant tell what is causing the issue. Example, in my unwrap I have broke up into parts and unwrapped. But, when unitycar bends my car mesh, it breaks the faces based on the unwrap? I have taken some screenshots to show this example.

It would be awesome if you can fix this, or know of a fix. Otherwise we would have to disable the damage and only be able to use the driving code.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  12. newlife

newlife

Hi screenracer,
    did you try to increase deform noise and decrease max deform?

13. DEtH_MoroZ

DEtH_MoroZ

CarDamage works only with vertices, so you need to check your car's model for unwelded vertices. (Simply, there are some copies of vertices and system manage to move 2 different vertices in same position, but little different way)

14. screenracer

screenracer

Correct, but did you notice that in the 2 samples that it stayed welded when only the UV map was welded - it did not detach. But as soon as the unwrap was detached, it also detached in damage?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  15. DEtH_MoroZ

DEtH_MoroZ

As i said before, check your modeling software or so.
    CarDamage script works only with vertices.
    What does it mean: check it closer, might be some vertices have copy. CarDamage don't double or break anything, it is just moving vertices.

Another importatnt point is to use custom, low detailed (compare to car's original mesh) collider.

16. SeeleyBoothe

SeeleyBoothe

Is it possible to use this and make it so a game character can walk up to any car, get in , and drive it?

17. newlife

newlife

you have to write the code to make the character get in the car

18. SeeleyBoothe

SeeleyBoothe

I am still kind of new and have been able to do this with just a car model and character, but was wondering if anyone had done it with this plugin and could give me a few pointers as to how I would integrate it with the plugin.

19. SeeleyBoothe

SeeleyBoothe

Ok so I have gone off and figured out how to enter and drive a car. Works great.

Now I want to buy UnityCar as the physics are awesome.

My question at this point is I am working towards a multiplayer game. Which would mean that I would have multiple cars active at one time. Does anyone who uses UnityCar know of anything that would inherently stop me from doing this? Or when a car is created is it it's own entity?

Thanks!

20. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I want to buy this, but I have a question and forgive me if it's already been noted/asked. Will UnityCar work good with motorcycles and tricycles? A few of the vehicles in my WIP also need to handle like a motorcycle and a tricycle.

21. trooper

trooper

@SeeleyBoothe car's in UnityCar are self contained.

22. xcube

xcube

Can I hook up the trailer to the car or truck?

23. PLERinceW

PLERinceW

It's so great, but wonder can I use this for a motor racing game?

24. dog

dog

25. newlife

newlife

Hi guys,
    sorry for the lack of news in the last period, but I'm working really hard in order to make the new version a big step forward.
    To keep you updated these are some news in UnityCar 2.0:

- new and improved 3D car models;
    - improved performance: now its possible to get the same simulation accuracy even with one single iteration (big performance improvement (5x) with mobile platforms).
    - improved scaling performance: now its possible to increase fixed timestep up to 0.05 and still obtain acceptable simulation accuracy. On the same way, you can decrease fixed timestep and obtain increased simulation accuracy;
    - steering wheel;
    - onboard dashboard;
    - improved GUI dashboard;
    - improved TCS algorithm;
    - improved Steer Assistance algorithm;
    - improved clutch engaging algorithm (now behaves like in LFS);
    - improved clutch model (now is more realistic, especially with trucks);
    - car setup can be saved and loaded with an external file (Text Asset, compatible with ALL platforms) like in rFactor;
    - improved 3D tire algorithm;
    - improved suspension model. Now suspension calculations are more physical coherent. Old model is still used with arcade mode.
    - added a new parameter in cardynamics class: Fast Bump Factor
    - added a new parameter in cardynamics class: Fast Rebound Factor
    - some further optimization;
    - added a new parameter in drivetrain: autoreverse. Used to toggle autoreverse with automatic transmission;
    - added support for brake caliper and brake disk model;

More, here some shots from the new version showing some new features:

new car model included: McLaren MP4

steering wheel and onboard dashboard

improved GUI dashboard

improved truck model

Thats all for now. I think that for the end of this month I'm going to release the new version.

26. newlife

newlife

No, UnityCar is not suitable for motorcycle.
    If there is enough request, i'll write a package for cycle simulation

27. newlife

newlife

yes sure, its a simple breakable joint.

28. newlife

newlife

what do you mean exactly?

29. newlife

newlife

30. loki72

loki72

very nice about the next version update!

31. newlife

newlife

thank you. If anyone has any suggestions or requests for a new feature, just write it down here.

32. Shigidy

Shigidy

I can't wait for this new update. I appreciate all the work man.

Not sure if this is something you could do, but when your in the car could you show the drivers arms, and hands on the steering wheel and have him turn the actual wheel? Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  33. dog

dog

+1 waiting for v2

any chance to have a lap timer ?
    how many polygons in this new car ?

34. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

Looking forward to the update NewLife! Two things I would like to suggest:

* You have a crash sound effect already but it doesn't take into account jumping off of a ramp or falling from a high distance for example. When the car slams to the ground you would expect something like a thud or crash sound effect but their isn't.
    * Particle emitter for harder collisions. Just throw in your particle prefab such as sparks for scrapping/hitting against a collider at higher speeds.

A lot of the features you have added to 2.0 will make our lives so much easier, can't wait to incorporate it into our project!

35. devotid

devotid

@ NewLife: will customers get to download the update if we paid about a month ago? Ive only downloaded one time from the email link you provided after i payed....will i get to use the other one when the update is available?

I mainly need to get the performance upgrade to the physics "speed" as i my vehicles are moving at some very high speeds and could use all the physics "room" they can get. I am currently running it at .01 and your saying i can turn it down even further? Is that the frequency i here others speak about?

I also REALLY REALLY need the ability to save the vehicle setups to a "share-able/ downloadable" file and reload them through my NGUI menu system.

So far i am happy with the scripts and performance of the thing.

Well Done!

PS. Do you know why unity car makes my first person character controllers left, right, up and down (wasd) keys all stop working? The mouse still looks around but the walking and jump is disabled. I think it replaces the input settings in input settings.....but i dont know how to get the regular settings working again...... :(

Thanks.

36. newlife

newlife

its not planned in 2.0

it has more or less 70000 faces

37. newlife

newlife

sorry its not planned in this version

38. newlife

newlife

you mean a noise when the suspension hit the bump stop?

its a good idea

:)

39. newlife

newlife

After 2.0 release, all customer (from 1.0 on wards) will be able to download the new version via their own account that will be reset.

UNityCar 2.0 has been tested to speed up to 1000 kmh without problems. it works very well with standard fixed timestep (0.02) but it works good even with higher timestep (tested working till 0.05). With lower timestep (0.01 or less) it works even better.

Its included in 2.0

thank you

this is cause UnityCar has standard inputs (arrows) but also an alternative inputs (that is wasd). You have to delete the alternative inputs from input manager

40. DEtH_MoroZ

DEtH_MoroZ

By checking here and there I found out why this problem occurs and how to solve it.

If we will take a look at mesh documentation, we will notice some interesting info:
    "All vertex information is stored in separate arrays of the same size, so if your mesh has 10 vertices, you would also have 10-size arrays for normals and other attributes."

What does it mean?
    Imagine a plane consisting of four faces

Everything seems right.

And here is a plane with two uv sets, for two separate textures:

You can notice, that middle vertices have to hold info from two uv sets. However, from documentation we know, that mesh cant do that. So, while importing unity will duplicate these vertices to make such mapping possible.

Solution is pretty simple: set deformation noise to 0. This way position of deformed vertices will not be randomized.

41. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

First of all well done on an amazing and optimized package, really impressed with your work!

I have a question regarding the way the clutch works, and also about the particles triggered during skidding/braking. I have tried out the demos and I am very close to purchasing this but I am a little puzzled as to how you do a burnout? I've tried holding either the clutch (X) or the handbrake (Space) while accelerating but this doesn't spin the wheels at all. Also, there is no smoke triggered. I ask because this aspect would be an important part for my game if I purchased this.

Also, in the inspector screenshot on your website I noticed there is no slot for the tire smoke particle seen when skidding or braking heavily. If this particle customizable at all? Thank you and keep up the awesome work!!

42. newlife

newlife

Hi Hamesh81,
    thank you for compliments.
    For what concern burnouts, did you try to disable TCS? TCS is triggered when wheel spin in order to avoid losing control of the car. Turn off ESP too, cause is triggered when car fishtails.
    TCS and ESP have buth a parameter called minVelocity, that is minimum velocity below that they are not triggered. For TCS and ESP default value is 20 km/h, so they are triggered almost immediately after a startup.
    For what concern smoke, this exists, but for some reason its not very visible (you can see it testing the demos in slow motion (press F1) ). Im not nuch into particles, so its an hard time for me here. If someone can help me here, it will be appreciated.

43. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

Yeah I've tried it with TCS, ESP, ABS etc (everything) disabled, and I've tried both manual and auto transmission and with all the available cars in the demos. Whenever I try to do a burnout the car just sits there revving its engine without the wheels actually spinning. Is this what it's supposed to do or am I doing something wrong?

Can the existing smoke particle in UnityCar be replaced with say one of my own? For example, if I wanted to change the smoke particle to a fire particle, is this easy to do? Thanks for your fast response!

44. endupgaming

endupgaming

Is it possible to simulate a tank with caterpillar tracks with this or does it only do four wheel cars?

Cheers

45. SobhanNina

SobhanNina

@"EndUpGaming "

You can Simulate War Transports like BTR , or such thing's according to Multiple wheel support i tested 8 wheels BTR

but for Tank ...

maybe you can wish that he develop an ultimate Tank Simulation pack :D

46. newlife

newlife

thats really weird. How do you know that wheels are not spinning? Can you send me a short video showing whats happening?

yes its very easy, smoke particles is a game object on his own,child of skidmarks game object.

47. newlife

newlife

Like Sobhan says, you can simulate multiple wheels vehicles (no limits of wheels), but for tank you have to wait for a package on his own ;)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  48. endupgaming

endupgaming

Thanks, I'll be grabbing this one and if a tank pack comes out later I will jump on it.

Cheers

49. SobhanNina

SobhanNina

Well , Good Decision !
    If you Like to have Both wheel and "Track Wheel" Vehicles in your Game like :BTR , Bradly , Tanks , ....
    You have to first buy this awesome "UnityCar" Plugin , Then you have to make a "WISH" and "HOPE" and then Wait for "NewLife" maybe he develop a "Tank Simulation" physic system too !

So , be fast and make your wish ! :D

50. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

Great to hear about the particles, it sounds simple enough to modify. Here is the video of my testing:

And here is the kind "wheel spinning" burnout I was talking about:

Looking forward to some feedback.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.