Search Unity

Defaulter - Customizable Default Import Settings

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tonycoculuzzi, Dec 7, 2016.

1. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

This is Defaulter, a tool that lets you set the default import settings for different kinds of assets.

Links:
    Asset Store - Website - Support Email

(will update links when available)

Defaulter lets you override Unity's default import settings on certain asset types, so they import the way you want them to, the first time, without hassle or manual involvement.

For Example:
    - Disable the Import Materials property on Models
    - Automatically convert Textures to Sprites
    - Set the Spritesheet data on Sprites
    - Disable all Baked Lighting properties in Scenes
    - Import Models with a custom Default Material
    - Etc.

Current asset types supported:
    - Models
    - Textures
    - Sprites
    - Audio Clips

Info:
    Defaulter is still in development, but I'm planning to submit it to the Asset Store this weekend (December 11th)
    It will be available for 50% OFF during beta.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  2. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

CURRENT VERSION: Defaulter v0.6.5
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

PLANNED FEATURES:

- Add Component to models
    Automatically add an array of components to model objects when they're imported

- Set material, tag, layer, etc on individual Models in Inspector
    Adding the ability to modify the default material, tag, layer or other prefab-specific properties on a per-model basis, in that model's importer inspector (when selecting the object in the Project view)

- Callback for when a rule condition is met
    Adding the ability to specify an editor callbacks for when a rule is met, allowing you to apply your own functionality if needed.

- Model material search, without creating a new material

Adding the ability for Defaulter to search existing materials and apply them to imported models, similar to how Unity does it, but without creating a material if no material is found.

KNOWN ISSUES:
    - Mac OSX: Setup window is cut off

Know of any issues? Let me know in this thread, or shoot me an email!

CHANGELOG:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    v0.6.6
    - Auto-delete Blender backup files
    Adding the ability for Defaulter to automatically delete Blender backup files
    - Added support for Optimized GameObject Model Importer flag

v0.6.5
    - Fixed bugs: Unity Editor issues with Retina screens

v0.6.4
    - Fixed bugs: On library rebuild, Defaulter settings are being lost.

v0.6.3:
    - Added feature: Set Layer, Tags and Static flags on Models

Automatically set the layers, tags and static flags on objects when they're imported

- Fixed bug: Referenced objects (such as materials) are not being saved properly
    On reloading Unity, references to Unity Objects are not being saved. This may be due to a serialization problem, when storing Defaulter data in the Project Settings folder

- Fixed bug: Sprites are automatically setting properties on themselves, every import
    On import, sprites that are converted using the Automatic Sprite Conversion are setting/overwriting properties on themselves, like "Generate Mip Maps", etc

v0.6.2:
    - Adding Custom Rules
    Change default import settings based on folder structure, file name, extension, etc.
    (example: All Textures in a folder called "Sprites" will be converted to Sprites)

- Adding Spritesheet Support
    Set the "Single" and "Multiple" sprite properties, including rects, borders, names, etc

- Adding ImportMode functionality
    You can now change an import rule to apply itself only once, or every time an asset is imported

v0.6.1:
    - Adding support for Scene Files
    Set default LighMap, Lighting and NavMesh settings for newly created Scenes
    (example: Disable lightmap baking, enable fog, remove skybox materials, etc)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  3. Skjalg

Skjalg

Thats a really good idea! Great job on the look of that inspector as well, looks tight

4. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

Thanks, I'm glad you like it!

5. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

6. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

Update: Defaulter has been submitted to the Asset Store

7. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

I've updated Defaulter to v0.6.1, to add support for Scene properties. Scene properties will be set on first-save.

8. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

For some reason, Unity has taken much longer than 10 days to approve Defaulter for the Asset Store. Sorry for the delay!

9. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

Update: Defaulter was rejected due to "missing a demo scene" and "not including documentation"

Documentation is included in the tool, on the Info tab, and there is no in-scene functionality that a demo scene would be useful for.. So I'm not sure why Unity rejected it, but I'm resubmitting it with updated documentation, so hopefully that helps. Sorry for the delay!

10. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

Update: Defaulter has been resubmitted with the changes Unity has requested. Lets hope the process doesn't take another month.

11. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

Update: Defaulter is now out on the Asset Store!

12. Caiuse

Caiuse

Hi there,

We are looking to add in certain methods based on rules for a bad example If i wanted to my entire texture red on import I would like to have a delegate I can add too programmatically that will also run my method.

We've managed something half way :

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections.Generic;
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using UnityEditor;
    5. using Defaulter;
    7. public class DefaulterCustomMethodTest : DefaulterAssetPostProcessor {
    9.     protected virtual void OnPostprocessTexture(Texture2D texture)
    10.     {
    12.         base.OnPostprocessTexture ( texture );
    14.         for (int x = 0; x < texture.width; x++) {
    15.             for (int y = 0; y < texture.height; y++) {
    16.                 texture.SetPixel (x, y, Color.red);
    17.             }
    18.         }
    20.         texture.Apply ();
    23.     }
    25. }
    But as you can see its not using the rules.

13. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

Added this to the "Planned Features" list! It's a great idea

14. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

Submitted v0.6.4. fixed the bug that causes Defaulter data to be reset on library reload

15. Muckel

Muckel

Hi Tonzie,
    well the window opens now correct on Mac OS X and Unity3d 5.5 but the rules got never applied...
    can you check this?
    Here are two screens that show that everything is fine...
    thx M.
    Bildschirmfoto 2017-01-16 um 07.52.42.png Bildschirmfoto 2017-01-16 um 07.52.37.png

16. Muckel

Muckel

Hello Toni,
    what's up?
    would like to use it... !!!
    but doesn't work on Mac OS X !
    did u test on Mac or only Windows?
    If you don't support Mac than plz let the people know in the Store and here....
    disapointed :-(
    @ moment it doesn't work on Mac OS X and Unity 5.5

M.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  17. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

I made it pretty clear that Defaulter is still in beta. I've been using it regularly since submitting it to the asset store and it works great for me. Every time I've found a bug, I've fixed it and submitred a fix. This is not a "rip off asset" in any way, and I'm sorry you feel that way.

I've been submitting bugfixes regularly. I'll check on the Mac OSX compatibility this weekend, but I just submitted a fix to the Asset Store that should help. I'll double check as soon as I get a chance.

As for your "email and support are useless" comment, there hasn't been one email I've not replied to, so again, I'm sorry that you feel that way.

18. Muckel

Muckel

that's fine but if develop a Asset or Plugin and you sell it for all Platforms ... then it should work also as a BETA...
    I've spend the time to fix the Gui issue on Mac OS X sent it to you... get no reply nor is the fix find it in last version...

this is the defaulter window on Unity3d 5.5 Mac OS X
    Bildschirmfoto 2017-01-31 um 21.05.19.png
    hope you get it.... I would love to use this tool... also in beta stage but it doesn't work on Mac OS X and Unity 5.5...
    make it work... and I give you a 5 Star review it deserves than!
    M.

19. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

Oh wow, I think I understand what's happening now. Are you opening it on a retina screen? (Like a newer-ish iMac, or Mac Book?) Unity seems to have issues with retina displays in the editor. I'm looking into how to fix it though!

20. Muckel

Muckel

Hello Tony,
    any progress with the tool?
    It's now over 30 day's I reported the bug... nothing happen since then... abandon this?
    sure that I work on retina Mac's like most of us...
    We are working also on a new huge game... but only for Mac OS X & iOS...
    don't care about this Windows User that steal every bit... same on Android...
    M.

21. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

I'm still working on it. I keep revisiting it every so often to see if I can find the problem, while working on other parts of the system. I'll have a fix up very soon.

Muckel likes this.
  22. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

I believe I have fixed the issue, and I've submitted the fix to the Asset Store as Version 0.6.5. I've looked into it extensively, and if the issue isn't fixed, then it's because of Unity's poor handling of retina screens. If you check once the new version is approved, can you let me know if it works?

23. Muckel

Muckel

hello @Tonzie
    well you got it finally :)
    CONGRADS!
    looks like it works now on Mac too...!!!
    now that you fixed the issue I have only one wish...
    plz implement a safe and load rules feature...
    I often use different texture import settings depending on the images...
    some 2d some textures2d... some with alpha ... some read/write enabled...
    thx & looking forward
    M. :Tiphat:

24. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

I've submitted Version 0.6.6 to the Asset Store!

25. thehitsdoctor

thehitsdoctor

Hi Tonzie,

I'm considering buying Defaulter for a project I'm working on, but wanted to confirm it will work for our purposes.

I have several hundred meshes that were created from a single mesh (exported in Sequoia using hacksaw tool). Each mesh object file has a corresponding .png file that is the material file. The obj and png files use the same exact filename except for the extension.

I've yet to be able to import even one of the obj files and have the png material applied, even though I put the png file in the materials folder and have the import materials box checked, with the Material Naming set to From Model's Material, and Project-wide (I've tried very combo and when I drag the obj into the scene it's still gray.

My question is whether or not Defaulter will solve this problem or am I doing something else wrong (i.e. maybe it's the filetype png?).

If Defaulter will work and apply all of the materials automatically to the hundreds of object files, it will be well worth the money.

Please let me know, thank you!

Brett

26. thehitsdoctor

thehitsdoctor

Hi Tony,

I went ahead and bought Defaulter, however, I'm still having issues when I import my fbx and png files.

Could you please explain what settings I need to enable (or disable) in Defaulter order to be able to have my png be applied as the material to my fbx file when I drag them into the Assets folder?

Also - Should I drag both the fbx and the png file into the Assets folder at the same time or do I need to drag/import the png file first, and if so, what folder do I put the png in?

I'm already liking your tool as it will add the collider onto my meshes upon import, so it saves me from having to reimport to add the colliders. I just need to figure out how to import the fbx file and have the material applied to the meshes upon import, so I don't have to drag and drop the materials onto the meshes.

I have 300 fbx and png files to import, thus having the materials (png files) automatically applied is going to be a huge time saver.

Thanks,

Brett

27. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

Hi Brett,

As I stated in our emails to each other, Defaulter doesn't work this way. In fact, Unity doesn't work this way.

What you're asking requires you to set up a custom Asset PostProcessor that will take all the assets you're trying to import, turn them into materials, and then apply those materials to your FBX files. This is not something that Defaulter is intended to do

28. Fuegan

Fuegan

Hello,

Is it possible to deal with .fbm textures default settings using Defaulter? I have it at work (very good tool btw, well done) and it doesn't seem to get my settings for embedded textures.

It kinda looks like the embedded ones are always flagged as imported (might be the same flag as the model?) because if I set the settings to be "always" instead of "once" it works (so I have that as a workaround but if only one texture doesn't fit the rules I'm kinda screwed).

EDIT : I did some more tests and it's a bit trickier, the first time I import an fbx with embedded textures it works, but if I delete it and import it again it tells me the textures have already been imported and are therefore not modified by your tool. So it looks like the id aren't properly deleted for embedded textures.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  29. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

I'm not too familiar with the .fbm format, could you guide me towards some information on it? I'd love to look into this.

30. Fuegan

Fuegan

Sorry for the delayed response.

When looking for fbm on google I only find problems with it in Unity pretty much so I guess it's a Unity thing, not a "real" format. For what I know the fbm is a folder Unity creates when dealing with an fbx which embed textures. This folder then contains those textures.
    Let say you got an mesh.fbx with embedded textures you import in Unity it will create a mesh.fbm folder with those textures.

The thing I'm sure is that those textures are get by Unity from the fbx and copied in this .fbm folder (you can find them in the explorer).

It doesn't seem to be much more complicated, I guess the thing creating problems with Defaulter is that those textures are bound to the fbx, let say you delete the .fbm folder you can but if you change the import settings on the fbx it'll reimport the textures in the fbm folder.

Let me know if you want more information,

31. Abelius

Abelius

Hi there. Excellent plugin so far, but I have a little question.

I've set up all sprites to import like this...:

But later on I see this...:

It still defaults to RGBA32 format instead of DXT5.

Also, I don't know if this would be possible to include in the plugin or not, but it would be nice to be able to set the "Override for PC, Mac..." option to ON as well.

Of course, these two "issues" are not a big deal as they're just two clicks. But just in case I'm doing something wrong or you could modify the plugin with not much hassle, I wanted to get them to your attention.

Thank you!

32. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

That's something I have been looking into, or at least I was a while back. It seems like there may be some Unity editor utilities to draw the controls like this. It's still in the plans, just a bit lower priority right now.

33. kilik128

kilik128

need somethink's like this !

34. Abelius

Abelius

Hello!
    I know the asset has been deprecated, but I'm missing it a lot and I was wondering if there's some alternative out there...?