Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Decompile a unity game?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by pilchardDev, Apr 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pilchardDev

pilchardDev

Hello. I messed up real bad this time lmao. I have been in the process of making a game (not anything to big) I've been working on it for atleast a month now. I've built it into a .exe file a few times to put on my website. I got a new computer and forgot to backup the Unity Project. Is it possible to decompile my game back into a project? I don't want to lose all my work.

2. larku

larku

Unfortunately not.

There are likely some "tools" out there to rip the assets out, and perhaps get your c# scripts back in some form (maybe). But you're not going to get a working project back.

I feel for you.. For future projects begin with a off site repository of some sort (Unity collaborate, github, bitbucket, etc). I'd have trouble sleeping each night if my projects were not commited offsite somewhere. My house could burn down at any moment - even a solar flare could wipe my machine in an instant (even if that's never happen before in my life :) )

3. UziMonkey

UziMonkey

There are some programs out there that can rip the assets. They won't be the complete assets, if you had very large texture maps that were imported at a smaller resolution then you'll only get the lower resolution out again. If you had any .blend files in your project then only the mesh assets will survive. Things like that, the asset database is not the same as your Assets folder, some things are lost when you build.

As for code, there are tools like ILSpy that can pretty reliably recover source code from a C# DLL. You won't get your comments back or anything, but the code will be there and you can go from there.

Remember, if something doesn't exist in 3 places, it doesn't exist. If you're not going to use source control, do daily backups to zip files on Dropbox or something. Then at least the project will exist in your project folder, zipped in the Dropbox directory and uploaded to the Dropbox servers. A tiny bit of work is all it takes to prevent something like this from happening.

4. pilchardDev

pilchardDev

Okay, Thanks for the help :) I'll attempt to get some assets. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.