Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Debugging irregularities

Discussion in '2017.1 Beta' started by hardcodednumber, Jun 27, 2017.

1. hardcodednumber

hardcodednumber

I am using Unity 2017.1.0b10 and Visual Studio Enterprise 2017.

When I use the debug version of my dll, there are a number of problems compared to Unity 5.6.1.f1.

1. When I add the pdb and unity generates the mdb files to debug a dll project, the callstack does not match the execution line and/or breakpoint hit.
    1.a. On a breakpoint, I am unable to see what the value is for any class member or parameter to a method
    2. I am getting a NullReferenceException on a property when I stop the editor:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    SBM.DependencyInjection.Context.ProjectContext.OnDestroy () (at F:/Repos/SuperBitMachine/sbmcore/SBMCore/SBMCore/DependencyInjection/Containers/BindCondition.cs:9)

I am doing my custom version of Dependency Injection. When I look at line 9 in BindCondition, its this:
    Code (CSharp):
    2.         public object[] Parameters { get { return _parameters; } }
    The other weird thing is that ProjectContext.OnDestroy() has no knowledge of what IBindCondition is, nor what the Parameters property is:

Code (CSharp):
    1.         private void OnDestroy()
    2.         {
    3.             _logger.Log("Project Context Cleanup");
    5.             if (_container != null)
    6.                 _container.Dispose();
    8.             if (_instance != null)
    9.                 Destroy(_instance.gameObject);
    11.             _readySignal = null;
    12.             _instance = null;
    13.             _container = null;
    15.             GC.Collect();
    16.         }

It seems as if my .dll is being load as Release version, but I am assured, that I am build the Debug version.

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Using the forum for bug-reporting isn't the best way to report an issue that is important to you, but can be used to give it a little more attention.

If you found an error in Unity, I recommend to submit a bug-report following the advice in this document. Using the bug-reporter seems to be an important step, because that makes sure the report is in their bug-tracking pipeline and has to be processed at some point.

It's advantageous to attach a project to the bug-report that Unity can use to reproduce the issue and test their fix against.

From my experience, Unity prefers to get spoon-fed with a small project that they can use to easily reproduce the issue you're reporting, along with a how-to-reproduce list in baby-steps. I often record a video that shows how to reproduce the issue with the project I submit along with the bug-report, just to make sure to avoid any ambiguity. Depending on the complexity of the issue, a video might not be necessary.

The easier an issue can be reproduced by QA, the more likely it is to get forwarded to a developer, who might or might not work on a bug-fix for that at some point.

After you submitted the bug-report, you receive a confirmation email with a Case number. Unity often asks us to post the Case number in the forum thread, which allows them to find that bug-report if they look at your post.

Following these steps will increase the chance that Unity is looking at your issue tremendously.

LeonhardP likes this.
  3. hardcodednumber

hardcodednumber

So I figured out the problem. I was compiling my dll against beta 4 not 10.

For people who read this in the future, In VS, look at the reference to UnityEngine.dll make sure the path and/or version matches the version of of Unity you are targeting.