Search Unity

Daydream support in Unity editor for Linux

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by will-noble, Jan 19, 2017.

1. will-noble

will-noble

I'm currently using Unity editor 5.5.0p1 for Arch Linux from this AUR package. I would like to develop for my Daydream hardware, but I can't seem to find any helpful information about getting started developing for Daydream using Unity for linux.

This page seems to imply that the only way to develop for Daydream on Android is via the special "technical preview" release of the Unity editor, but the technical preview does not seem to have any linux-compatible or source code releases available. That page also says you can develop for Cardboard on iOS using nothing more than the Google VR SDK on top of vanilla Unity, which makes me think there's no good reason why developing for android should require a special build of Unity.

Do I actually need the technical preview, or is there another way to develop for Daydream with regular Unity? Otherwise, is there a way I could possibly install the technical preview on my linux machine? Is it possible to develop for Daydream using linux at all?

2. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

I believe 5.6 may run on Linux and it has integrated Daydream support.

3. Jesse_DuBord

Jesse_DuBord

@will-noble, if you build & install the "unity-editor-beta" package from the AUR, it will build and install the latest published beta version for Linux. :)

You can then run the command "unity-editor-beta" from your terminal of choice.

I believe (don't quote me on this) that you can install the beta and stable release side by side without any conflicts.