Search Unity

Daydream Renderer does not convert material with texture

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by reedny, May 26, 2017.

1. reedny

reedny

Dell XPS 2720, Windows 10 (14393.1198), GeForce GT 750M
    Unity 5.6.1f1
    GVR Unity SDK 1.50
    Daydream Renderer 1.0 (DaydreamRenderer.unitypackage from GitHub)

Overall Daydream Renderer is very high quality and wicked fast, I look forwards to doing more work with the shaders and lighting.

My project has materials with textures (emission color set to texture) and the Wizard converted them from Standard to Daydream/Standard but did convert the texture. It did convert the other attributes of the shader. I ran all of this on my Dell PC.

Screenshots of material before and after are attached.

To replicate:
    1. Create new project
    2. Set as Android platform, Daydream as VR, Android 7.0
    3. Add GVR 1.5 asset
    4. Create a new sphere
    5. Create new material (mat1) with Standard shader and emission color set to a colorful jpg
    6. Assign mat1 to the sphere
    7. Run app in Editor to see the sphere with its jpg texture
    8. Import Daydream Renderer assets
    9. Run wizard
    10. Run app in Editor and the sphere will have lost its texture
    Thanks,

@reedny

Attached Files:

2. tirichards

tirichards

Thanks for posting, I'm happy to hear you're finding the Daydream Renderer useful :)
    And thanks for all the detailed information that should make this easy to test.
    I'm going to run through your test case but initially I don't think that the emission texture will get converted. By design only diffuse and normal textures are converted, however, you bring up a good point and I will see about adding a case for converting the emissive texture when there is no diffuse texture present.

3. reedny

reedny

Thanks @tirichards, The materials I am using come from this Unity Store Asset. Some use the emission as texture, and others use normal textures. If the wizard can handle this that would be great, but it is a one-time conversion so doing it manually for some of the materials is not a big deal.