Search Unity

Daydream - GVRController doesn't work with scrollRect UI by default

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by UmairEm, Dec 15, 2016.

1. UmairEm

UmairEm

I am working on a Daydream App which has several
    paged-snapped and simple scrollable scroll rects in world space canvas.

GVRController works pretty well with button clicks but when it comes to scrollRect, I expect it to work as following:

1. point at scrollRect UI object
    2. click and hold.
    3. drag down (or any other direction based on scollRect's scroll direction)
    4. release click
    5. This should scroll the content just like any mouse-based / touch-based input model.

BUT

It simply doesn't work.

For snapped-Scrolls I already have previous-next buttons so I have simulated scrolling by detecting swipe on GVRController. I have a OnSwipe event in my script which is fired based on swipe direction, I handle this event in scroll-controller script and invoke clicks on Next/previous buttons accordingly.

Now here are few questions:

Can I make GVRController swipe to work with Scroll-Rect. I thought of manipulating horizontalNormalizedPosition but not sure if this will work intuitively?

Does GVRController fire OnScroll, OnPointerDown, OnPointerUp etc events so I can implement Unity Event interfaces to achieve the functionality?

Any kind of help would be highly appreciated.

2. nathanmartz

nathanmartz

Official Google Employee

Hi, UmairEm. We confirmed that there was a bug here. We've fixed it and it'll be part of our next release. However, although we've fixed the bug Scroll Rect doesn't actually represent what we consider good UX behavior for Daydream. You should check out the Scrolling UI sample in the SDK if you haven't already.

Also, OnPointerDown and OnPointerUp should already work. It was just OnScroll that had a bug.

3. nathanmartz

nathanmartz

Official Google Employee

Actually, one correction. We fixed OnDrag. We don't implement OnScroll as it's not actually necessary.

4. fmielke

fmielke

Hi @nathanmartz ! I read in the release notes from GVR SDK for Unity v1.2 that scrolling should be supported for Unity UI. But it doesn't, at least for me.

I used a common panel and scroll rect and cannot scroll there.

Do you have any hints?