Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Daikon Forge no longer being sold in the Asset Store

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BrainMelter, Aug 6, 2014.

1. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

balaam likes this.
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well, didn't see that one coming.

3. derkoi

derkoi

I returned to using NGUI after hitting the issues with mobile performance that many others had. The turning point was when they announced that the new version of DFGUI wouldn't be backwards compatible with the guis made with the current version. Either way I'd have to redo all my gui, so i made the decision to return to NGUI.

Money & time wasted, I wont buy another one of their products, totally lost faith in them.

Ostwind and Ryiah like this.
  4. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

I'm still here waiting for The New GUI.

NomadKing likes this.
  5. jordanlwebster

jordanlwebster

Can anyone tell me what Daikon Forge was on the asset store? Was it like a character model?

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

GUI solution (WYSIWYG).

7. ZJP

ZJP

What about a refund? or a sort of Class Refund Action?
    Unity Guys?!!! :confused:

8. giyomu

giyomu

They will refund you with rhum and T-punch ZJP hahaha...

9. tatoforever

tatoforever

Hence why I don't rely on the Asset Store plugins. You'll never known when those guys will stop supporting their plugins. An other reason why plugins must come with sources. As soon as there's some compiled dependencies It's a nono for me. If the author disappears there's a good chance I can fix issues with plugins sources.

10. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Being no longer available on the store isn't grounds for a refund.

--Eric

chrisall76 and User340 like this.
  11. jordanlwebster

jordanlwebster

Ok , thank you.

12. jordanlwebster

jordanlwebster

If you have already purchased item may you still have the ability to use it.

13. ZJP

ZJP

Hope no. :D

14. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

Yeah you can still use it. And DF comes with source code, so you can workaround potential issues. But it is quite disappointed they removed it.

15. movra

movra

What is the latest version? I can't even update it.

I bought DF-GUI in November 2013, tried it once. My personal experience was nowhere near the ubiquitous 5-star reviews praising DF-GUI and slamming NGUI. I couldn't even place a button in 3D space that would stay in place. Even the included examples were glitching.

In the meantime I moved on to other GUI middleware such as NGUI, NoesisGUI and CoherentUI. NGUI was a much smoother experience than the DF-GUI reviews let me think. Let alone NoesisGUI and CoherentUI, which are simply a step above.

A few months later an update was released with some fixes, but it was still in need of a lot love and care. "Give it some time", I thought. And now you're telling me it's dead and buried? I have literally not done more with DF-GUI than place one button, one sprite and one label.

People, watch out on the Asset Store and take the rave reviews with a big pinch of salt.

16. pKallv

pKallv

I am not familiar with this product but could it have anything to do with upcoming Unity releases with the new GUI coming out. ;)

17. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

Ya, that's prolly part of the story ...

18. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

I moved off of DF a while back because I wasn't happy with where it was going. While it was easy to throw together a UI in the early stages once you got going you encountered a lot of not easily solved problems. I'd rather have the initial pain with NGUI.

19. Marble

Marble

Bit of a burn. I was hoping to get more than six months of support and updates when I purchased DFGUI, but the writing was on the wall as soon as both of the latter dropped right off the radar. I'll just have to rewrite it all in the new native GUI.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  20. jp122

jp122

This.

The attitude of certain asset creators is indifference if not cynicism, as in "it's only $25, so I don't feel I should have to spend any time fixing the code/inverting the model's normals/fixing the texture problems/etc". They probably know they can get away with it because only they can authorize a refund, or they simply stop making updates, or pull the product from sale after negative reviews and exposure.

At least with things like source code or layered PSD's, one can avoid lengthy emails or stone walls of silence trying to get them to fix the simplest of mistakes that somehow get approved by the Asset Store

Ryiah likes this.
  21. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

This is a good argument for why the asset store isn't a replacement for inadequate Unity base features. The store is also a bit of a mess anymore. Since every asset has 5 star orgasmic reviews when its a code based asset it is completely unknown what kind of code you are getting when you buy it.

22. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Totally agree with this statement. Especially since DF was a GUI asset which will finally be updated in Unity in 4.6 (and looks great). Unity addressing core components that are under performing is definitely needed in some areas (like GUI). In other fringe areas its perfectly reasonable for the asset store to be used.

This sentiment I don't really agree with, while everyone is free if they feel they need support for years to steer clear of the Asset store and it is probably prudent in that case. Given typical asset store plugin prices (especially if you are patient and get the sales which was ~$30 for DF) I think you generally get what you pay for. For that price I think its understood that support won't be indefinite (but will probably be a year or so while they still have new sales). You do get the source so if you wish to customize you can or if you wish to fix issues after support stops you can. Even while developers are actively supporting you usually need to customize to your game anyways.

If there is a decent percentage of people that do want continued support a subscription purchasing model for plugins makes more sense (lower initial price but monthly cost vs. one time). Maybe in the future both unity and the asset store will explore other business models. That way plugin developers have continued cash flow. Unity would have to come up with a policy that would be more strict if support does stop though (and that might not be that easy).

23. Velo222

Velo222

I bought DF GUI about 5 months ago and never really had any support from the beginning. All of my questions I had to answer on my own or figure it out through trial and error.

That being said, it's currently the GUI I'm using in my game right now, and I have no plans to replace it for another GUI system. Currently it's providing all the functionality I need.

It's also unfortunate that by the time I get to releasing my game, Unity will have it's own upgraded GUI system.

So, I found DF GUI useful, even very helpful so far. But it's pretty annoying that it's no longer being worked on or supported. All I can say is that bites. :(

24. tatoforever

tatoforever

@greggtwep16,
    It's not about how much those plugins costs (most of them are a real bargain), the problem is when you base your entire project on such plugins. If you got issues with them (DF got plenty on mobile devices) and suddenly the author disappears, you are really in trouble.

25. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Is it still available for download for those who've already purchased it?

26. Dabeh

Dabeh

Nope. A warning would have been great...but I don't expect the asset store to take responsibility with anything any more, they will just shift the blame to the developer.

The Asset Store really needs some proper management; people with experience ideally.

27. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Well, needless to say, that's a bit crap. I paid for it, but probably can't actually get it now. I maybe still have the early version I got kicking around in a prototype project somewhere, but I certainly cant get to anything they've updated since then.

28. jp122

jp122

You can e-mail the authors for the latest, according to their forum post, they're going to provide a few more updates, or so they say.

29. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Sweet. I had a look at their site, hadn't seen that but it's good to know.

30. lmbarns

lmbarns

So lame your assets just disappear after buying them if the asset is removed from the store.

After being burned a few times I make sure to download and keep regular backups of the entire asset store folder fairly regularly. More often than not, I find that a new version might be broken and I can roll back to a previously working version off my HD without trouble. Currently having that issue with "grab yer assets". Latest version crashes when gathering my assets, but the previous versions worked fine.

31. tswalk

tswalk

hmmm, time to include that assets directory into my backup schedule...

unfortunate. if I had an asset and decided to pull it.. i'ld just make it open source (if it included compiled libraries)

32. Ryiah

Ryiah

Quite. I'm actually more annoyed with UT themselves than with the DF developers. They should allow you to have continual access to what you purchased unless the product is pulled for legal reasons.

33. User340

User340

Wait, let me get this straight, UT actually made it impossible to access to people who bought it?
    Did they delete the package from your downloads area? If so then that screams robbery to me. They can't just take a product back if I had it on my hard disk!

34. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

No, they haven't removed it from our machines. The option to download it is simply no longer there.

35. User340

User340

Okay, that's good news. They still should allow some way to download it, at least for 30 days after removal.

36. im

im

sadly w new gui coming in u 4.6 some gui asset authors are going to do the math, come up short and pull their soon to be dated assets

too bad they didnt just make it available for free cause now existing df-gui owners are going to not be able to get updates for df-gui from unity asset store...

37. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

I read the originally linked forum post and I am not sure we are steering in the right direction here. Is there any other official statement from DF except the one liner there?

Otherwise nobody said anything about DF will be stopped. The statement is "it's no longer for sale". AFAIK you cannot simply drop the price in the asset store from paid to zero so maybe they are simply making it free in a new package with the upcoming release of 4.6 on the horizon? Would be a much more logical thing to do from my POV then simply stopping it. It would seem way out of line and I'd not stone them (like I have the feeling some people are doing in this thread) before any explicit statement is there.

38. im

im

oh we like a good stoning

and nobody expects the spanish inquisition

AnomalusUndrdog likes this.
  39. NomadKing

NomadKing

To me, this is the worst part about this situation.

Asset sellers will come and go, it's the nature of industry, but surely retaining access to the last version for customers who've paid for it would be a good thing?

40. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Asset Store needs to step up their game and put that suggestion I gave long time ago: make it like SourceForge where users can download past versions, even let publishers put up stable and experimental branches of their plugins for downloads. This will also make it possible to have auxiliary downloads like sample projects separate from the actual plugin to keep the download size small.

Stoven, Socrates, chelnok and 7 others like this.
  41. Dantus

Dantus

I don't really get your logic. The most likely reason why they aren't selling it anymore is the new GUI. I expect that chances are high they would have continued otherwise.

42. jerotas

jerotas

That is incorrect. You can change your price of an asset at any time. There is both "free" and $0 as well as many other pricing options. If they wanted to change it to free or $2 they could have done so. This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen on the Asset Store. Especially unexpected from such a popular plugin. The thing that killed it for me is the total lack of warning or communication. Not to mention tons of complaints on DF's support being nonexisting in the last 3 months. Very disappointed and surprised. Dark Tonic would never dream to do such a thing to our loved plugins. If we were dropping or stopping updates for our stuff, we would communicate as much and the reasons why. And yes probably change the price to cheaper because of that fact.

I believe a plugin author has this duty to their buyers, unless maybe it's a totally free plugin. So thank you (sarcasm) DF guys for screwing the rest of us devoted plugin authors by taking down Asset Store plugin-buying confidence yet another notch. You haven't affected only your own income stream, you've affected us all.

Also, there's a link in the DF thread in the OP that tells you how to download DF-GUI if you already bought. So stop spreading misinformation please and saying that there's no way.

quantumsheep, Socrates, jmjd and 5 others like this.
  43. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

What a shame - for both Daikon and UT.
    Assets no longer to be sold on the store is ok for me - that's to be expected in an environment such as this. But the assets should be available for download to all customers who bought them in the past - via the asset store, not some 3rd party developer website that may vanish in the same way as its products from the asset store. Smells like robbery.

Fab4 likes this.
  44. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

So, on our side, the seller requested the Asset to be removed from the store and we are legally obliged to do so. That's pretty much all the info I have on this.

45. Dabeh

Dabeh

Maybe it's time to change the agreement?

A policy that customers must be warned 7 days beforehand if the request isn't because they did something naughty like steal code for their asset and that Unity also will continue to host the files for some reasonable time period etc.

If the asset was fraudulent, I demand details of the person who put it up. I've had a asset disappear and I have no reason for it other than that it was their request, that is NOT acceptable.

The fact things like this are not implemented is why I think the Asset Store needs proper management, it's crazy they're not already there..it's a staple.

Stoven, kenshin, Ryiah and 1 other person like this.
  46. wccrawford

wccrawford

Would it have been possible to prevent selling more copies of the asset, but still allow existing purchases to be downloaded forever?

47. Dabeh

Dabeh

It is possible everywhere else but Unity it seems.

An easy example is Steam, if the game is no longer on sale and it was legitimate you will be able to continue playing and downloading it for as long as you so wish.

48. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

I don't believe what you said is entirely true. Read the bold..... The asset store is holding the asset for previously purchased customers. I do believe this says, that you should maintain the download on the store...

Parallaxe and UndeadButterKnife like this.
  49. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

I've sent this to the Asset Store to respond to because they will know best.

50. Parallaxe

Parallaxe

This.

Plus: Very disappointed by DF's "non-communication" /-:

VicToMeyeZR likes this.