Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Event with Value not treated as it is

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by Vandarthul, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Vandarthul

Vandarthul

In Data Explorer, while creating a Custom event to be examined, I noticed some weird behaviour. Regardles of every single event that I put there actually has a value, while I place my custom events(11 event) , some of my events treated as strings(the Calculation dropdown is not active and fixed to count) and I could see the exact values sended in table explorer. I close and reopen the report and after some tries it fixes itself but it still happens sometimes. Even I tried one of my events which were put before with calculation method as average, makes itself fixed count.

Some screenshots:
    Capture.PNG -------
    Capture2.PNG

2. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@Vandarthul

Is this happening on Saved Reports? If so, would you be able to PM me with your Project ID? That might be a bug.

To give some clarification, in the Data Explorer numeric values can be displayed as numbers (with the count, average and sum displayed) or as strings (with each value received is displayed). The number option is indicated with # and string option is indicated with A.

custom-event-num.PNG custom-event-string.PNG

For things like a completion time, you will likely only ever need the average values, so the number format will suit you best. While things like a level number would be useful to see broken down by each value, so the string option would allow that.

As your screenshots show, once you have selected an option, we don't indicate which you have chosen (aside from disabling the Count / Sum / Average dropdown).

However, if you create a saved report with the number option and it shows the string option when you open the report, that's likely a bug. Please let us know if that's the case.

3. Vandarthul

Vandarthul

Hey @ap-unity thanks for the answer. No, it doesn't happen like you've described. When I close and open a saved report, it opens exactly as I've saved it. I understand how strings and values work(a.k.a # and A) but the problem is, in the screenshot above, both fields(named as "finished") are values( # ). When I add a new event, sometimes, it behaves like a string but it is actually a value.

Additionally, I wouldn't be able to reproduce the problem again now. Perhaps it was a temporary bug, or I may have mistakenly selected string version of "finished" parameter, but I don't think I did because I try it couple of times by carefully selecting the value parameter to be sure before posting it.

4. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@Vandarthul

OK, I understand what you're saying now. Although, I don't know why it would do that. Would you be able to DM your Project ID and I'll try to reproduce this issue for our dev team.

When you select the parameter, we load all the data for that parameter. Perhaps during that loading, it is set as a string and if something happens while it is loading, then it gets stuck that way. That is just speculation. I'll try to see if I can reproduce this issue for our dev team.