Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

CTS - Complete Terrain Shader - Deprecated

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, Jun 19, 2017.

1. kerrmedia

kerrmedia

CTS_grass_missing.jpg

Hi, just starting with this so this is a noobe question, I added a profile from the profile library to a Unity terrain, I tried them all actually, but only see one texture (which looks nice enough), but don't see any of the grass texture? What do I need to adjust?

2. JDrem1

JDrem1

I'm having a problem. I wonder if anyone can help with a solution please.

Once I have added CTS, I can add additional textures, but I cant use them, because they only paint solid black. Until I go into my profile and bake them.

But then I cant alter the metallic, and smoothness etc. Also baking them stops me swapping (in edit) pre painted textures.

Any ideas please?

3. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yes this is how CTS is designed to work.

You add textures and then bake them as this is required to create the texture arrays that make it possible to do PBR rendering. This is done only once - so am not really sure what the problem is here.

Once you have created your profile and baked it - a one off process - then it can be used at any time in the future and flicking between profiles (each of which can have radically different textures & settings) is a very powerful feature of the system.

You can also dynamically change the smoothness per texture, and / or add your smoothness or roughness textures and have them baked into the final result (not possible with Unity terrain).

4. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

You need to tell unity where to put your textures first - you can do it manually with the paintbrush tool on the unity terrain, or use 3rd party tools such as Gaia - which incidentally is on sale for 25% off, along with GeNa and Pegasus at the moment.

Here is a Gaia tutorial on how to texture your terrains :
    http://www.procedural-worlds.com/gaia/tutorials/spawners-unity-terrain-textures/

CTS would 'just work' with this. So you texture in Gaia, and then apply the profile in CTS. Instant face lift.

By the way, I am moving support to a ticketed system because support requests can get lost in the noise and go unanswered, so we will be using this thread mainly for information sharing, general chatter etc.

Please ask support questions here - its : https://proceduralworlds.freshdesk.com/support/home

5. kerrmedia

kerrmedia

Thats OK.... I have Gaia, was just throwing CTS into a project that is really just to work out some programming issues for IK. So CTS is not a replacement, but rather an enhancement of a terrain texturing system? Cool.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  6. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Pretty sure I have been quite clear now on how to get support.

Mark_01 and buttmatrix like this.
  7. JDrem1

JDrem1

I didn't even know what this curt response meant, until I read back to someone else's post, and the reply you gave them.

So no, I'm afraid you weren't clear at all in the reply to my post.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Freznosis likes this.
  8. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

this

FargleBargle and Mark_01 like this.
  9. claudius_I

claudius_I

I don't know if this problem is produced for gaia o CTS.

before runtime

runtime

I really don't know why the sand texture changed.

10. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

If you are looking for answers from the community, this forum is obviously the right place, but if you are looking for answers from Adam or Bart you should use the support channel from Adam's website *see above

11. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yep - i think this is probably the right approach.

I created a knowledge base article on this specific issue already this morning as its a common issue (the first time I saw it myself I was like whats up here??) but you would need to task a look in the support site to see it :)

Over time I think a lot of the questions people ask will be self resolving as I answer them and create knowledge base articles around the answers.

The other benefit for me is that where there are more common points of misunderstanding - then this is really an indicator of areas of the product that needs to be improved - and the support site will give me some useful metrics.

Mark_01 and FargleBargle like this.
  12. claudius_I

claudius_I

Performance swap demo (1920x1080) i7 4790 and r9 270
    Unity 160fp
    Basic 54fps
    Advanced 36 fps
    Tessellated 28fps

160 to 54 i very bad:(

ZoneOfTanks likes this.
  13. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Guess CTS isn't for you then. We have new update soon - with more performance gains - and in our testing on a 16 texture terrain it runs faster than Unity.

And in other news, CTS now supports World Manager API (WAPI). WAPI is an open source project I created to act as a middleware bridge between different assets to provide a common API to manage everything.

In this video, the scene was created with Gaia, rendered with CTS, water is AQUAS, lighting and weather is Enviro, and clouds are both Enviro and Fog Volume 3. World Manager was the middleware glue, and it was all driven by timeline!

The CTS WAPI integration will be included in the next CTS release, and the timeline integrations will be pushed to WAPI in the next few days. You can learn more about WAPI and get your free copy here : https://github.com/adamgoodrich/WorldManager

Finally - don't forget, Gaia, GeNa and Pegasus are all on sale until the end of August.

Magic73, Vondox, TeagansDad and 4 others like this.
  14. ZoneOfTanks

ZoneOfTanks

Wow!
    This year is a real break through in Unity terrain technologies, great job! :)

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  15. kerrmedia

kerrmedia

Well, got all those, going to take awhile to figure out how to do what your doing there, Do you have a basic set up demo for all those assets just starting with Gaia? i think this looks great, everything I hoped Unity would be able to one day accomplish.

16. Denzellz

Denzellz

"CTS Weather Controller needs a Custom Material to work with" this is what i get when i move the weather sliders using mapmagic

17. ProxyDetails

ProxyDetails

Hey, 2 questions:
    1. Is there any article or video covering workflow using GAIA and CTS?
    2. Is it possible to use my own splat map instead of generate it in gaia?
    Thank you

18. recon0303

recon0303

1. Confused by this question, there are plenty of GAIA videos. and some CTS showing how to use them. One tool is to make terrains height maps etc... Other is for terrain shader. The work flow is the same for CTS as any other terrain tool more or less. So I'm guess i'm confused. Adam has a ton of video's and Docs everywhere. Showing the work flow and how to use all his tools.

2.You can use any splat map you want.. You don't need to use GAIA's. If you don't want to, I use one tool to do one thing and another to texture. These tools are made to customize it to your liking in many ways.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    AdamGoodrich and Mark_01 like this.
  19. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

1. No not yet. Will make one today. Its pretty much a couple of clicks.

2. Yes. CTS doesn't care how the terrain has been textured (ie the splat map has been created), it just renders it.

Hard to say - I haven't tried the map magic integration. Will check cts code to see whats going on - suspect your terrain is not set up correctly with CTS.

Yeap - some of this is still hit off the press and has not hit the asset store yet. You can see the latest up to date information on it here :

http://www.procedural-worlds.com/blog/wapi/

I am also almost done on a very cool integration demo. The video for that will come later today as well.

20. neoshaman

neoshaman

Looking at Adam's signature is a good starting point

21. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yeah, I am re-iterating this message across all my forums as well...

I have a bunch of assets and a bunch of different communication channels - youtube, twitter, facebook, email, and multiple unity forums (which don't give me notifications), so I miss questions, and that's not the level of support I want to provide.

So - if you want a response from me then please go to my website at http://www.procedural-worlds.com/, click on Community and then Support. These request are tracked and won't fall though the cracks. There is also a knowledge base on the support system so chances are your question will already have been answered.

While you are on my home page please also subscribe to my newsletter. Once a month I will be delivering update news, reviews, tips & tricks and any cool freebies I come across, and some that I create specifically for my subscribers.

I will be using the unity forums now more for showing off cool stuff or making announcements.

Sorry in advance for the bold... wanted the message to get through.

Magic73, Mark_01, Vondox and 3 others like this.
  22. borjanews

borjanews

Hello i have a problem with map magic and cts i cant add cts in map magic i have the last versions of both
    http://prntscr.com/gcwnga
    Thanks

23. recon0303

recon0303

I would post this on Page 1 as well, easy to miss this, for people after it goes through more pages. Just saying.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  24. recon0303

recon0303

Ummm no offense man Read ADAM'S post above for support.. The one right above yours.....

Mark_01 and TeagansDad like this.
  25. LootlabGames

LootlabGames

Is there a way to use this asset without switching to deferred rendering?
    Deferred rendering messes up the light culling as well as other things.

26. borjanews

borjanews

thanks

27. Mighto360

Mighto360

Read Adam's post a few above yours (its in bold).

28. Mark_01

Mark_01

As far as i know CTS is being almost refactored so why not wait till the new release it out ? It may have changed a lot
    and I believe the new version will be out in a few days .. next week some time..
    perhaps with more features and all included, for one low single price as well :D ;)

And yeah if you want updates on that please ask where Adam is asking
    us to go.. this will end up being a lot faster for people to get answers in the future
    as the knowledge base grows and is far more organized then here.

More info at https://proceduralworlds.freshdesk.com/support/home

On that I'd like to suggest a direct link to the forums from the above page. I'd hope if
    people looking for answers on that page they could also " click a button " to go to either all the
    forums or to the specific forum they are asking for a support ticket on. ?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  29. blacksun666

blacksun666

Adam, with the next update, you should include a link directly from within your assets to your support page.

Mark_01 likes this.
  30. recon0303

recon0303

eh??? NatureManufacture is one of the developers for CTS.... Adam and NatureManufacture aka Bart are..

31. recon0303

recon0303

Adam added it , its there, says SUPPORT on that bottom of CTS you click that and it takes you to his support forums which is where he wants everyone to go. So its been there, it used to go to his old site I believe but its the new one now.

Mark_01 and blacksun666 like this.
  32. Mark_01

Mark_01

Yes I know that's why I put "
    NatureManufacture said:
    Ok just wait for new update then everything should work or if not, we will fix this step by step:) New version had big optimisation and changes so it's hard to compare anything now. " at the top.

kind of confusing I agree. That's the bad coffee habit I have, not enough coffee and you get " confused ? " thoughts

Did Adam and Bart merge companies as in they are both " NatureManufacture " ? if so I guess that's my confusion.

Great idea. Maybe even update all the products with the linkage.

I think he means when you download the package from the store and there should be a need help ? With a direct link from with in the Unity editor.

[Edit] You are correct it is in the read me file of CTS in Unity Editor.
    but the read me file does not, from what i can see, point to
    https://proceduralworlds.freshdesk.com/support/home for questions and support though

Yes the store pages have it and looks like no one is using that, either

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  33. Olander

Olander

Not that I know of.

As to the support and having direct links from within the asset....
    I am all for clean support for products as well as forums to support them. Using Unity forums for Unity products is a good idea....using private forums for Unity products is a mixed idea. So far Adam has not made his forums require registration to view and having docs and faqs is a good thing. 19 pages in on this onslaught of banter which is CTS which is now diverting elsewhere is only adding to confusion....and yet...still allowing folks like me to post more on CTS Unity Forum (or Gaia, GeNa, Pegasus...future products) just adds confusion.

Direct Links from a help/support button for online help...ask yourself this. Do you want direct links to 3rd parties to exist in your game? Do you WANT to edit all these custom editors....that can be really really cool for development...to remove the 3rd party links including the 3rd party logos? We (devs) buy assets as tools (can save a lot of time) to (try) to integrate into a real toolset to be used by a Company Development team. This is why we Real Devs mandate Source on purchased assets. We do not want 3rd party hanging around forever in the toolset. Credit due is credit due (on a splash page) but not to hang around with 10 different online source links to go for help (in 10 various amounts of quality). Professional Help exists in 1 lexicon/wiki and if there are any links it points right there and that is it (and email if something crazy is happening). So.....back to work....removing external help links and copying helpful information to a toolset wiki.

Have 95% become so lazy as to not add a bookmark and/or email address on assets we Like to use? 12 seconds to log in and click to this page. I have almost all solid notes copied from these forums into OneNote for easy access. I don't get it. Wrong generation I guess.

34. Xrystal

Xrystal

I think the main problem is Adam's Gaia forum which is currently at 176 pages with people new to the asset every day ... they would have to read all 176 pages to look for possible hints and tips, or solutions to their problems. In that scenario it makes sense to have primary asset support on the specific forum going forward so that all the new ( if not earlier found ) hints, tips and solutions are easier to locate. Granted from a new asset like CTS this is less of an issue, but based on the popularity of Gaia and Adam's other assets I wouldn't be surprised if CTS reaches a similar state of play in a year or two, so new users at that point could have 100 or more pages to read and discern any hints, tips and solutions.

And this from someone of the older generation. So, I doubt the younger generation is exactly lazy, impatient maybe but not lazy :)

Mark_01, Olander and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  35. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Yup.. OneNote is great when you are subscribed to a thread when something is posted. But going back through tons of pages to find something is rough. And before anyone mentions the search function, some folks have issues coming up with search criteria to find what they actually need. I'm that person, sometimes. I swear Google sees me log in and ready to search for something at that time and the CPUs in the computers running the search algorythm laugh to each other and whisper, "Here comes that Shawn guy again.. Let's see how much we can screw with him this time..." heheh

I see a lot of benefits of having a dedicated forum on the publisher's site. The hard part is getting people used to using it. Some assets don't merit it. Like my stamp packs, for instance. But something as big and complicated as Gaia, and now with other assets such as this thread's CTS. I think it makes total sense to have a ticketing system for support requests and dedicated forums to help Adam (or Adam and Bart in the case of CTS) be able to stay on top of things and be easier for newcomers to resolve common setup/configuration mistakes that have been discussed already.

36. Olander

Olander

@Xrystal and @Shawn67
    100% agreed and well stated. Posts like both of yours show the maturity of the old generation. There are countless 'Give Me Now Because I Have No Time To Search the Previous Page(s) for the Answer Already Given' posts on Unity....UE4 to a lesser extent but there as well. Even to the bold standpoint of Not Even Going Through the PDF Manual.....I know....I get a number of email questions on Genesis Weather and a few on my Eyes on things that are exactly in the manual. LOL. That is laziness in my opinion.

I do agree though that in regards to Gaia....which is actually A LOT more complicated than CTS really needs a solid FAQ area on a constant site (CTS and GeNa also need one). 176 pages to scour is nuts....especially when mixing versions. CTS seems to be heading that direction as well....and this particular forum is a roller coaster of information.

I'll stick with mixed opinion on the separated forums (we'll see if Bart adds one on his site as well)....but completely agree on the support ticket system and a solid FAQ page(s).

Thank you both for the dialogue.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  37. recon0303

recon0303

sorry looked like you where replying to him as if he was a member, not a developer.. The way you replied telling him to wait for updates. sorry miss understood.

no they did NOT merge into one company, it was just the way you replied. hehe sorry

Mark_01 likes this.
  38. recon0303

recon0303

I'm a bit bias here, but I been developer websites for decades. External websites are important as a marketing tool... and are important as a business tool... They help with support tickets for the developer.... So for example, if you post here, its easy to lose a member, as he/she may not get a reply as Adam may not see that post, easy to do.

With a external site, you can set up a ticket system as a game will, or should be doing, that WAY NO MEMBER get missed...

Here is an example....

You make a game for Steam.... right? You use there internal forums ONLY...... Your fans will go there sure...Now you decide to make more games, you will get a whole new Steam internal forums, same as Unity....... But making an external forums, all YOUR GAMES, PRODUCTS are under one roof....So for example, if I want to see what ADAM made or that company that made games, if I go to Steam, I won't know they made other games as easy..

Same with Adam's tools I may not know as easy by the forums...Sure the asset store shows but not everyone checks it in the way...A external forum, is a powerful tool for reasons stated.....I always encourage people to make a external website for most business's...

If Adam decided to do work for another engines or standalone, all his work is on his forums all his users are ON ONE FORUM....All his work is under one roof....Makes it way easier to manage and give proper support to your users.

This is my take on this, from over 20 years of business, marketing , website UX/UI. So i'm glad Adam did this very smart move. Of course everyone has a right to there opinion and of course respect that. I just wanted to give my experience and take on this subject. /cheers

39. Mark_01

Mark_01

It's okay some times i confuse myself with out trying. :eek: I was trying to say any questions now might be null and void once the new CTS is out, plus AFAIK there maybe new stuff in CTS and I am rather sure Bart and Adam will keep adding new features and interrogations into CTS and Gaia 2 ( I am assuming ) And since there is a new CTS coming out , it will have all the features and perhaps even more new ones to come and all for one low price! :p

Again I just woke up.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    recon0303 likes this.
  40. Mark_01

Mark_01

Well first off I am just a hobbyist. I can not even run play maker right. So I do not know the inner workings of codes and coding. It seems to me that people can not be decent or even look a few posts above them above to see if maybe some one asked the very same question. Logic might dictate that if some one is having a particular problem ..
    especially with a new update say.. then maybe some one else, had the very same problem,
    and they are not the first ones to report / ask for that in the forum.

I make notes when i am trying to learn new software.. all i end up with is pages of notes/hints .. maybe I can't find a certain note because its not indexed good enough.. IDK.

Point is, this started because of a situation in CTS forum and Adam wants to try to finds a better way, for all the people that want to use the packages.

So instead of all of us making notes. ( yes we all learn differently ) It still makes sense to me to try the system Adam wants to try. As to your other point about " pointers ? " in the code for the game for a published game ? or or 3rd party links ?
    All I was suggesting the read me files be updated .. read me files is not in the code.
    I am old school as well. Almost age 60, grade 12 with grade 10 math. I only started back in graphics as a hobby 2 years ago, after being away since i was 21. So yes i may not know what i am doing.

Just suggesting was that the read me files in CTS and Gaia etc... should have a big red glowing sign that says go to the support page.. since it seems it is not getting across, and even then, how many times has a developer had to say " did you read the read me file ? " Sorry if I upset you some how, it was not meant that way.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    Olander and recon0303 like this.
  41. recon0303

recon0303

no worries.

Mark_01 likes this.
  42. olavrv

olavrv

I just want to add in that I think it is great that there are several developers with different terrain shader systems and approaches. Individual systems are optimal for different situations, and competitions drives innovation on all aspects.

recon0303 likes this.
  43. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yep. A lot of work has gone into the web site and the new version launched since we launched our last release. Gaia 1.6.1 already has it and while current CTS does take you there, then next version will make it easier to find as well.

This has generated a lot of discussion. From my perspective the new web site and ticketed support system has been a god send.

Here are the stats since it went live two weeks ago:

* 40 tickets
    * 12 reopened tickets (i.e. we had a conversation)
    * 1 open ticket
    * 2 tickets on hold (reminders for me to take a future action)

Also, I have generated 15 knowledge base articles - and don't have stats on how many support tickets they have averted because the information to answer the question was just there.

It's brilliant - and everyone who has asked a question has gotten an answer from me directly.

The other thing that moving traffic to my site does is allow me to create a direct connection to you as my customers via the news letter for those that want it. I have many customers, but cant communicate with any of them because Unity owns the relationship - and in hindsight that's a really dumb place for me to be - i should have changed this up years ago.

I will be creating my first news letter for subscribers in the next week, and it will contain among other things, a new subscriber only stamp pack for Gaia.

You can sign up for it on my home page: http://www.procedural-worlds.com/. You will also need to respond to the confirmation email that gets sent to you.

recon0303, Olander, SSL7 and 5 others like this.
  44. Olander

Olander

And this is basically my main point. You actually should have done this in the beginning. You have great products and are one of the very few people/devs I would actually go to their own forums to participate in. No mixed opinions just great tools and a place to hammer each other and give great advice. :cool::D Period. Enough Said. :)

You are a friend of mine so just another reason I am going to do it anyhow. :);):cool:

@recon0303 I can respect your answer....27 years of business here. Different industry. Again...agreed with respect to 'Goodrich Tools' but few others.

@Mark_01 Exactly. FAQs are highly needed and take time. The main point about taking notes on forums like these (or whichever forum you are following....I have exactly 12 I follow) is that the FAQs will not likely have more than 50% of the great information....perhaps 75% for Adam since he is a great detailer. These docs are really tough to make and depending upon the person/developer/hobbyist the information means different things. I very much appreciate you taking up this really difficult hobby. It is fun...and like you I am looking at this as what I want to do but something 'I Can Do' as I approach retirement. And after ~10years in modding and private game play servers and 4.5 years here in Unity and UE4 I can say that I am finally getting close to the recreating of the Aurora Toolset and a Skyrim-like game. Keep plugging away and hammering on the forums....I will be one of the first to help out with some of the technicals and integration things. I don't post a lot....but when I do it is always for the benefit of all.

On a side note: I cannot run Playmaker either. Tried many times and just cannot get it to do what I want.:eek::D:p:confused::oops: LOL

@AdamGoodrich
    Lastly....Adam....keep doing what you're doing. From a friend and a customer. You are one that 'Gets It'. Thanks.

Thanks again for the dialogue.

On a side note....and to get back on topic a bit....CTS has been working really well since v1.1 (actually was working well before that in my opinion). I posted some time back with pics and a basic review after the update post initial release. Initial release was regression from a very well optimized version 52 I believe whilst in Beta. Adam and Bart have gotten CTS back to that level and with the features we all wanted to be had....outside of the wish-list items to be added in the future. The performance has been solid and working really well with Genesis Weather and the Genesis Framework all together. It does in fact blend nicely and works side by side politely with everything else. I do in fact have my Real Framerates (16.67ms) capped at 60fps to maintain proper frame timing and physics (when used)....which makes very smooth and fluid rotations and object movements. I do keep track of what takes what budget with lots of regression testing. I know what takes what.

Most things in the Genesis Framework run on a 50ms (+Max16.67ms) code cycle which helps 'Code Bouncing' tremendously. CTS is running on the 'Frame' and does very little in regards to tapping into the frame cap....plenty of budget left. Currently uncapped real frames is between 70-80 with dips to almost 60 when running 30km/h through a large forest. To be honest....this is the point where I begin to integrate CTS firmly into my framework....and are very very cautious if updating....ever. CTS does exactly what it says on the tin and the quality is very high.

Cheers
    O

45. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Thanks... currently got flu... but will be curious to see what you make of next release. There is the usual round of optimisations from Bart on shader side, and our other big optimisation drops a lot of drawcalls out of your typical terrain redraw. We should have a chat soon anyways.. think you will like my latest thing with WAPI and timeline :)

Olander and Mark_01 like this.
  46. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Made with... ZERO coding!

Environment created with Gaia & GeNa and making great use of the CTS weather capability!!

Tomorrow I will do a "how it was made" video for those that would like to learn :)

Don't forget Gaia and GeNa are 25% off until the end of the month!!

drmanhattan, Vondox, Olander and 3 others like this.
  47. SSL7

SSL7

Trying to implement weather system and weather conditions with MapMagic, CTS and Unistorm, I hope all tools will work together nicely and have the results I m trying to achieve at some point. At the moment the problem is with the CTS and Unistorm not working with weather manager (sliders don't move, snow not appears). And some bugs with MapMagic. Do you think Unistorm can work with your WMAPI ?

48. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

YES! Please a step by step tutorial!!!! Thank yuo!!

drmanhattan and AdamGoodrich like this.
  49. Mark_01

Mark_01

Olander said: " On a side note: I cannot run Playmaker either. Tried many times and just cannot get it to do what I want.:eek::D:p:confused::oops: "

The forums that you and I follow I have always read and agreed with what you said. This " stuff " in retirement is what will keep us young and helps with brain function because it keeps us thinking and dreaming. :) I have read your web page, I have a very high respect for people that try to help the community with no expectations of " what's in it for me " for me. That is a quality that I highly respect. So if I may, it is off topic and a plug, but not for anything that is to do with environment / shading .. and it has to do with what I said earlier too. In regards to playmaker, I recently found a free asset for Visual Programing that if any others are in here that have the same type of problems, IE can't code C# What this does is it is a easy to get Visual Programmer that only shows you a list of what you can hook things into based on what you choose.

At the end it writes a C# script for you, one script. And you can use that script in any project with out having to have the Diamond Asset in your project! It is very well developed for only 2 months old. So Adam, Bart, and all please forgive the links. IF Adam or Bart request me to remove this post, I will no problem. This is like Olander free assets that is really good. And I believe good people deserve recognition, and from what you said, this made me want to post this off topic even more. I think most people if they look around his web site and read the now 5 page forum, I would hope that people that can not code, and people that can code will come to the same conclusion.

P.S It has controls for running substance materials options at run time and also and can combine textures as well, plus a lot more, of the usual stuff. :cool: For people that can program, this is great as well and if your community minded, I am guessing that any constructive help would be appreciated by the developer. This is not a " re-do " of the type of visual scripting that is in the store now As far as I know it is very new and a great idea!!

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/92738

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/diamond-visual-scripting.477293/

per-thanks for giving me this indulgence, If Bart and Adam let this post stand. :)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    AlwaysBaroque and Olander like this.
  50. Olander

Olander

indeed....and thank you.

Actually....the visual scripting is a bit on target in regards to CTS. CTS was mainly done with Amplify Shader....a node based shader writer much like UE4, 3DSMax, Blender....among others. Unity should have something like this built in but they don't. Writing shader code is basically C language but very specific so the syntax is crazy. I have a super healthy regard for coders who can actually write it AND have the artistic ability to see the minor nuances in the visual aspects of the shader. Bart understands this (since it is a CTS forum I will not name others) as well as a small handful of other brilliant Unity shader coders....I think we can figure out who they are. Something like Amplify Shader makes the visual aspects of coding a shader.....visual and logical without having to worry about the internal syntax so much. It works and works really well. Shader Forge also works very very but the code result is not as easy to read or manipulate. Eventually you still have to dig into the depths of the code....or have/pay someone do it. It is inevitable.

So moving on to Playmaker and other Visual Scripting systems...as with UE4 (top of the food chain in Visual Scripting) it can be a really powerful method to get into scripting. Logical Flow plugs together to make compiled code (usually behind the scenes)....these FSMs are super handy and can really work well for simple things. The down side is that they will have a lot of trouble actually making long term game play mechanics. It is inevitable that you will either need to copy the visual logic to C# (Unity) or have/pay someone to do it. Don't just go willy nilly at this though. Have a very clear definition of things you need your 'Objects' to do written and re-written in MS Excel then start investigating how to tackle these issues....or better yet....how a coding person can start taking things off the list. Please be absolutely aware that making a game in Unity/UE4 will be virtually impossible with one person. So pick what you are good at and be Really Really good at it.

If you cannot code and want learn...I would highly recommend digging into Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2 and learn NWScript. It is basically C Language and there are a number of examples and the nwnlexicon () which is a complete scripting function library reference for both Aurora and Electron engines from Bioware/Obsidian. It teaches the fundamentals of functions and coding....and in the engine you can see what is happening right away without having to make things from scratch like in Unity. So many things are taken care of....like animations...toolset libraries...conversation editors....etc.

To come full circle back to Visual Scripting and CTS...now your coding skills are improved to the point of actually digging into the code and recognizing this are that are simply math or some line going to the Unity rendering engine or blah and blah....but copy that and make some math edits and test to see what you just nuked! hahaha For Visual Scripting....take those blocks that are actually working and transfer those to C# one at a time....and test....and test....and test. Takes time but in the end it works flawlessly.

Lastly....if you cannot or do not like coding but love the 3D Art and Animation side....then please do not get caught up and stuck in coding. Use fine tools like Gaia, GeNa, Pegasus, CTS among other top notch tools to get things going so you can look and admire. 3D Art is easily 75% of a game and takes the most time. So focus on honing your texturing skills in GIMP.....Brightness and Contrast to control and calibrate Texture Fog!!!....and make your 3D Art Assets pop and rock with excellent normal maps! CTS will look even better. Then later when you have your library and all this art very well into it....time to think about hiring a coder or suck it up and take C# coding classes (Issue here is these coders do everything 'New School' and teach poor fundamentals and naming standards). C# to C++ is not that difficult to do. NWScript to C++ is easier but neither is all that difficult. UE4 C++ is a very specific beast and takes awhile to get used to....Unity is an open slate but you see some really bad coding in Unity.....horrible actually what people sell.

In the end....the Visual Scripting will only get you so far.....but that So Far is really enough to make your 3D Art testing very viable and play testing ready. Good enough. So yes....go for it (Any of them that Actually Make Code...not All In One Blocks that do so much behind the scenes that you cannot convert it) but take notes and screen shots during your scripting. Lots and Lots of notes. OneNote is your best investment for this....place it on the 2nd monitor and let it live there LOL.

Sorry for indulging but it was 'Some What' related to CTS. :)

@AdamGoodrich Love the video. WAPI is definitely coming along. I was a bit harsh on you with it in the beginning....but just as with all your stuff you touch....it starts a rusty iron ingot but then polishes into a shiny gold ball. No idea HOW it went from Iron to Gold....but....you tend to be birthed from Midas. LOL

Cheers
    O

AdamGoodrich, TeagansDad and Mark_01 like this.