Search Unity

CTS - Complete Terrain Shader - Deprecated

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Kolyasisan

Kolyasisan

I've been playing around with lots of assets and plugins lately. In heavy scenes this shader is actually really fast! You were completely right about this aspect.

2. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

I have a new girlfriend and her name is Height Map Tessy... Awesome work Adam and Bart.

3. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Someone will need to help me with this. I am not a map magic user and am running off very limited information. If someone can explain how it should work then I will modify the script to handle the other map magic scenarios.

4. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

Hi,

I have a question regarding CTS and Tenkoku. After purchasing and adding the thenkoku module to the scene, the grass texture gets incredibly glossy and it burns my eyes. Whatever i change in the tenkoku settings nothing changes with the grass. When i remove it and put normal directional light the grass looks more....normal :).

I use advanced shader from CTS and World Creator as a terrain generator.

Thanks in advance for help.

5. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Hi, Im wondering if maybe you can split up the asset as downloading the textures again and again is pointless and takes a long time on my laptop also sometimes unity just stops the download.

Cool if you can but understandable if you can't split it up.

Thanx Jim :D

6. retired

retired

Select the CTS profile while the game is running, then reduce the smoothness value. Below that adjust the individual smoothness of each texture.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  7. Olander

Olander

Agreed 100%. The CTS Textures should have been a separate pack....period. There are many landscaping textures all over the asset store and included in demos to assets purchased as 3rd party samples. I have my own library but good textures are always nice.....perhaps this is moot point once CTS stabilizes but this will not be for some time in my opinion.

8. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yes its very tedious on my very slow uplink uploading them as well.

Unfortunately Unity does not have a diff or dependency system because if they did we would be using it. I was at a meeting with them 2 GDC's ago where they had one working - its never seen the light of day!

So, depending on your perspective, CTS is a great texture library with some shaders thrown in, or a great shader library with some textures thrown in.

When presented together they represent great value for money, and we will not dilute the value of CTS by separating them.

In the mean time I am in the process of updating my web site, and one of the features I would like to add is a download system for registered users.

When I have this I will be able to offer separated downloads.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  9. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

Could you compress the texture library and include it in the download, maybe that would help?

10. Grendelbiter

Grendelbiter

I have a question before I potentially buy. Does CTS handle multiple Terrains? I'm using World Creator to split up my Terrain in many small tiles which I then stream with World Streamer. Can I easily manage all those tiles with CTS and do the borders blend correctly? Also does CTS have a Terrain Texture conversion?

buttmatrix likes this.
  11. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yes.

Not sure what you mean. Whatever splats you had in your original will be rendered by CTS.

Again not sure what you mean. CTS acts just like normal terrain - so if your tools support normal terrain then CTS will work with them.

The one step that is different is that you need to extract the textures from you terrain and bake them into a CTS profile. This is a 1 click one off process.

Grendelbiter likes this.
  12. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

It helped, but a little, the grass texture still looks brighter than my future :(. The CTS settings are on the screen. Well i guess if the shader is set properly then its Tenkoku settings...will play more later today.

Attached Files:

SirTwistedStorm likes this.
  13. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

Kia ora Adam

lol sorry I'm back, after spotting this a GeNa, I just stepped away give Unities lighing, I got really sick of constanly fighting to get that sodding flicker out of my worlds, any wany nough rant lol

Does oe will this have a day night cycle to speak of

Oh and whats the chance's of importing/using our own textuers if we wish to as long as they have _diffuse _Normal _Height or _Disp and _AO maps and is TGA ok or do we need PNG

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  14. Lemonua

Lemonua

Hi! Still cannot use substances. When you will release update that allows to use all chanels from substance materials?

15. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

What do you mean as all chanels? You have roughnes, specular, smoothness, albedo, normal, height ,ao.

16. retired

retired

Your grass texture's smoothness is still at 0.3 it looks, turn that down to 0. Also the intensity of your light in Tenkoku plays a role in that as well. Hope that helps.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  17. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

When i import Gaia and use the preset like here
    and turn down everything to 0...its still is shiny as hell. When i use RTP its dark as hell :). Well damn me, perhaps the map is too big, i made 5kmx5km. Anyways thanks for the help.

18. recon0303

recon0303

Only issues I seen was with Noise in WC, again may be fixed, I have been off work since the 28th and gone since the 29th so I can't confirm.. Would be great to know that was fixed, I would think it is knowing Bart and Adam.. I know Bart seen it and was annoying issue with WC. hehe... My guess is, its prolly fixed, so looking forward to checking it out. But I will be using WC stand alone, so I may not get a chance to see WC1 .

19. recon0303

recon0303

may want to post screenshots of your issue as well. 5km, 5km, map is not that big, so that won't be an issue..... but again depends how you used the stamps. RTP being dark, is related to RTP.. I know they had some issues with this. lately. What do you mean everything is set to 0? in CTS?

20. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

Here. The situation is a little bit better when i change the tint in tenkoku, but i believe it should be normal with white tint.

Attached Files:

21. recon0303

recon0303

sorry don't see your earlier post... I don't use Tenkoku, so can't comment on that asset. I tend to adjust the tint in CTS with some textures, when it looks that way. Not sure if it will help or not. Check smoothness as well in CTS. Looks like yours is 0. It does look way to bright. So looks like some kind of possible tint issue. Your Sky looks odd, the colors, etc, so it could be related to that asset. Again I don't use it. but just be using others like it.. could be related to the lighting color etc ... in the Sky Asset...Maybe disable it, and use a default sky ...That is what I do with many assets to figure out which asset is causing me issues then I adjust each one..to my liking.

22. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

Well i tried that and many other things. The only thing that help is changing the overall tint...but only a little :(. Will still look for solutions to this issue, but thanks for the help.

23. tomaszek

tomaszek

As you summoned me look here - there is an explanation of such behaviour:

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/r...-v3-on-assetstore.206516/page-88#post-2504201

With roughness output set to 0 you can still have a lot of specularity due to how Unity solves fresnel term in PBS calculations.

Additionally if you set specular output of shader to pitch black you can cancel all direct light specularity (reflection probes still contribute), but that's not much elegant solution to make whole terrain dull. That's why I moved step down with lighting model from GGX to normalized blinn-phong in RTP forward and the same for custom deferred lighting.
    RTP uses metallic workflow so we need to manage specular output in case of dielectric materials (that's the purpose of script attached to terrain on my example scene). You can manage specular power of dielectric materials (like terrain) to your taste - it doesn't necesarilly need to be "dark as hell".

Tom

I wonder what's the difference with using Tenkoku maybe it changes the lighting model (has it got custom deferred lighting shader?). In case of deferred shading you can select debug view to take a look at resultant deferred gbuffer output (specular color and roughness) in case of plain CTS vs. the one with Tenkoku.

Mark_01 and Olander like this.
  24. chingwa

chingwa

Tenkoku uses standard Unity lights. It includes a reflection probe as well, so that might be one differenc, if you aren't using a probe in your scene otherwise. Still this is all standard stuff. The culprit is likely in your terrain Smoothness settings, or the Specular/Smoothness from one of your terrain textures.

25. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

Well on the next scene, all looks ok.

upload_2017-7-19_21-38-22.png

So i guess i fuk something up :). Sorry for the bothering. @tomaszek i am new to all of this, if i sounded like an ass then i am sorry...still learning :).

As for the issue, perhaps i had this brightness issues because i used input terrain in World Creator (i sculpted mountains manually and then put it into WC for some filters). I will test it tommorow...today i am exhausted.

drmanhattan, AdamGoodrich and chingwa like this.
  26. syscrusher

syscrusher

I am aghast that your code was not perfect and bug free in version 1.0.0. My code, by contrast, is always perfect in its very first release. Then I make additional releases that are even more perfect than perfect. :p

..... And if you believe ANY of what I just said, I have this wonderful bridge in Brooklyn which I would like to sell you. {GRIN}

recon0303, AdamGoodrich and Olander like this.
  27. syscrusher

syscrusher

+1. Erosion Brush is one of those nice, inexpensive little assets that does what it says on the can, simply and well. Like you, I haven't tested it on the newer Unity versions because I'm working at learning my procedural tools right now. Nice tool, though, if you need to kick out a single terrain for a demo or testing scene.

Adam-Bailey and Olander like this.
  28. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

More CTS and Vegetation Studio Beta

29. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

New Dynamic Nature Starter 100% compatibile with CTS ( I used the same functions) and with trees which have wind support. New dynamic nature version also support speedtree but without billboards yet.

I will probably upload it tommorow. Video is unfinished yet just private for now. Take a loook:

30. Olander

Olander

+1 This is on the spot. If you want better erosion for more of a production environment I would suggest L3DT (or the expensive World Machine). Takes a couple of tries to get the base settings for Your design but once you have that the process is fast and very well done. You can still use Erosion Brush to 'Spot Up' your landscape once the textures are done (Gaia, L3DT, or some other texture automation). Note: EB also does texturing.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  31. zenGarden

zenGarden

There is too much Bloom on water reflections.

pixelsteam likes this.
  32. rasto61

rasto61

Just wanted to let you know that this is happening:
    Screenshot (138).png

When the strength of the texture is 1 and the particular texture does not have a normal map in the profile.

33. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hmm.. we will investigate!

34. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Nope - but it responds appropriately to unity lighting.

CTS is designed to do this. We just happen to also supply a texture library.

Mark_01 and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  35. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

I will check that.

This is specular power and it depends from sun angle. Adjust it or change with sun angle dynamically. Basically this is true behave of the pbr material.
    You could:
    a) adjust spec by sun angle
    b) decrease spec power at all
    c) change this albedo smoothness.
    Everything depends if this is gamma or linear etc. For gamma space spec power around 0.3 is ok for linear =1

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  36. RobinNvizzio

RobinNvizzio

Hi,

Any plan on being able to reorder textures in a profile ?
    And having Emissive in the shader ? (think lava :) )

Thx

37. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

No. Doing this will completely mess up the splats. You can manually swap however - without messing up the splats - and this is essentially the same thing.

All the underpinning code is there. It's in our roadmap.

Mark_01 and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  38. raja-naveen

raja-naveen

Not perfect, already making a lot of progress. all thanks to gaia and cts.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Xrystal, AdamGoodrich and drmanhattan like this.
  39. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

40. evilangel89

evilangel89

Hi Adam,

Does CTS currently support any sort of mesh blending and geometric blending between meshes and terrains ? Also are flow maps currently supported ?

Regards,
    evilangel89

blitzvb likes this.
  41. zenGarden

zenGarden

I think this is something to be considered for today terrains, it's becoming standard and it makes a huge difference

https://80.lv/articles/realistic-environments-in-cryengine/

buttmatrix and evilangel89 like this.
  42. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Mesh / Geometric Blending is on the roadmap and will be added in the near future. Flow Map features are not planned as far as I know.

blitzvb and zenGarden like this.
  43. evilangel89

evilangel89

Thanks man.

44. SSL7

SSL7

MapMagic has the Pinned terrains, and the runtime generated ones. The pinned ones you can see them on editor, the runtime generated ones are procedurally generated in runtime. So CTS should work on the runtime ones too.

45. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Denis the author of Map Magic is doing a custom integration straight out of Map Magic - and it's almost complete. So you will have first hand support for this shortly.

Mark_01 likes this.
  46. SSL7

SSL7

Ok that is good, will start implementation... What I don't seem to achieve is the snow. I manually raise the snow power in runtime but i just get the tint, not the snow shader (which is there). Any idea why?

It works fine on a new scene without MapMagic, but I can't get it to work with it. Also I can't seem to find a Rain Settings.

47. sadicus

sadicus

The video tutorial starts with different textures already painted over the terrain.
    What might be causing this result? unity_CTS_paint1.jpg

48. ProxyDetails

ProxyDetails

Hey Adam, great tool so far, got couple of questions if you dont mind:
    1. Whats is best solution to populate trees/grass/other objects among specific textures using CTS? Do I need something else?
    2. What do you think about Easy Roads and CTS?(is there any other solution for road networks for unity?) I've tested it for 5 minutes, works quite fine but bit buggy. Can expand this later.

49. retired

retired

Great news!

50. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

I've been busy overhauling my island terrain (again), and the current iteration has a slight problem, that prevents me using CTS on it. Perhaps you can spot it:

New Terrain 2.jpg

Gena does a nice job planting trees on mesh terrains, but it doesn't do textures. You've mentioned adding mesh support to CTS at some point. Any thoughts on when? o_O

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    blitzvb likes this.