1. We're looking for feedback on Unity Starter Kits! Let us know what you’d like.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2017.2 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity 2017.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Introducing the Unity Essentials Packs! Find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out all the fixes for 5.6 on the patch releases page.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Help us improve the editor usability and artist workflows. Join our discussion to provide your feedback.
    Dismiss Notice

Games Crystal Companies

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by bradshep, Sep 2, 2016.

1. bradshep

bradshep

[​IMG]
    We have been Greenlit!

[​IMG]

Play the demo!

Hey there!
    I am the lead developer for Boreal Games and we are working on Crystal Companies, a tactical collectible card game.

We love card games but wonder why the genre has never been more than flat cards and a table. Our goal is to make a card game that is more immersive than the typical CCG.

Crystal Companies replaces the abstract playing surface with a 3D interactive playing field and provides both a card and a 3D animated model or audio and visual effect for each character card or spell card respectively. While in hand, a character or spell is displayed as a card until it is played.

[​IMG]

Like other CCG's players build decks and are matched against an opponent. Players take turns playing cards, generating resource, and building their strategy in hopes they can destroy their opponent's command post first.

Features

• 200+ cards including creatures, walls, turrets, spells, traps, and captains
    • Dozens of fun and strategic abilities/skills such as AOE damage, conditions, healing, teleportation, invisibility, and cloning/morph
    • Numerous competitive strategies such as turtling and outlasting your opponent, rushing, ramping up to giant creatures, stealth infiltration, teleportation, heavy control, or strength in numbers
    • Deck management system + collection viewer
    • Single player with AI opponent

Updated gameplay video we made for our singleplayer demo

If you'd like to learn more about Crystal Companies, follow us on Twitter (@boreal_games), sign up for our newsletter or read our devblog!

Thanks!

Bradley

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017 at 3:07 PM
    Thrawn75 likes this.
  2. bradshep

bradshep

We've been working really hard this month to develop better UI, server-client efficiency, and character design.

We've posted a new update to our blog (borealgames.com/blog) but here is a summary of the UI enhancements. Let us know what you think!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  3. bradshep

bradshep

Updating user experience and optimizing certain game mechanics have been two focuses for us over the past month. I was also lucky enough to attend an amazing tech conference called PopTech and become a tenant at my university's student incubator.

We've posted this new update to our blog (borealgames.com/blog). Here are some highlights!

[​IMG]
    Technique details are now automatically parsed!

[​IMG]

Card search is now much easier and efficient with attribute filters!

We also made a new feature video of Crystal Companies. It is a short video that overviews the core features of the game:

4. bradshep

bradshep

We have been super busy over the past month applying for a second grant, updating user experience, writing story, and drafting a demo for a big game conference application.

Check out our latest blog post! Or read them all at borealgames.com/blog

We made another video! Notice the cool visual effects and new environment!

5. bradshep

bradshep

Our December blog post is LIVE!
    • We've overhauled the battlefield upgrading the flora, textures, lighting, and structure. The new map provides players with three distinct regions, each designed around a general strategy.
    • We now have a flat letter logo! Below is a treatment example but Will has been working on a detailed crest!
    [​IMG]

In other news, we just heard news that our second grant was approved! We hope to attend game conferences and learn about what others think about CrysCo. We're hoping to start a group of testers soon. If you are interested in playing CrysCo, I would love to know what you think!

6. bradshep

bradshep

Another of our monthly progress updates is LIVE!
    • While we don't have a dedicated artist, we managed to focus a bit of our time cranking out art for many Spirit and Nature cards.
    • Will spent a lot of time implementing a tutorial into our demo which nicely introduces players to CrysCo's core concepts.
    • I spent most of my time tweaking countless areas of the game including fixing bugs, balancing card attributes, and creating a couple new features. I also made another raw gameplay footage video!
    [​IMG]

Get updated on our progress!

7. bradshep

bradshep

Another month in the books and we are still going strong! Read our February update here.
    [​IMG]
    In short, we worked really hard last month to get a demo done for a focus group we hosted plus we revamped our website. The focus group attracted over twenty students and ran really well! We are already implementing new features and fixing bugs based on other players' experience with CrysCo.

If you'd like to play the demo, you can download it here!

We are also doing a giveaway for a Nintendo Switch. Just take a survey to enter. :D

8. bradshep

bradshep

We have worked extra hard this month to refine the battlefield, game mechanics, and user experience. Read our March update on our blog.

In addition to our progress update, we are now on Steam Greenlight!
    Help us out and vote/comment your feedback! Thanks in advance :D

[​IMG]

Thrawn75 likes this.
  9. bradshep

bradshep

April was very busy for us: new UI, abundant bug fixes, beginnings of custom art, and winning 2nd place in a pitch competition!

Read about our progress on our blog!
    Don't forget to vote for us on Steam Greenlight and take our survey too!

[​IMG]
    Isa, our first character we concepted. 3D model coming soon!

10. bradshep

bradshep

I realized yesterday that I hadn't posted June or July's update (oh no!).
    Check them out on our blog!

[​IMG]

There has been much excitement and progress with Boreal Games team in past 60 days: finishing up a grant, getting Greenlit, and of course developing Crystal Companies.

[​IMG]
    We've created some pretty cool new features to CrysCo, like these arrow splines to help visualizing movement, attacking, and using techniques.

[​IMG]
    Will has been working hard on the character detail panel (see above) to explain many of the smaller, intricate details of characters which would not be possible to show on a card.

I have been working on simulation code that mimics the server logic while not using the server whatsoever. This has led to a quicker, more efficient process for implementing new cards, abilities, and battlefields.

Devin has been working on creating new cards, developing the story, and working with our talented artists on new character models.

What do you think so far?