Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Cryengine now has C# & more!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by N1warhead, Mar 19, 2016.

1. N1warhead

N1warhead

Hey just wanted to let my fellow C# lovers, that Cryengine v now supports coding with C#!!!

I tried it, but man cryengine is so much more harder to even work with the interface.
    I could barely even figure out how to create a terrain, nor could I figure out how to texture the terrain, I'd import a texture and it would give me some Red thing saying replaceme lol........

But, nevertheless I don't see Cryengine will be replacing my Unity anytime in the near future lol.

(also - it's 100% royalty free), costs nothing, etc.

THIS IS NOT TO START AN ENGINE WAR!
    @hippocoder and any other mod will freaking BAN you, so don't freaking start a WAR.

This is just to let my fellow devs know, because this is pretty exciting.

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

e2894fc6826a2623f4bf3991be92ffd5.jpg

It's OK to discuss other engines in a mature manner, so long as tech support for said engines goes to the relevant site- for example any questions about cryengine should probably respectfully be asked on the cryengine forums - they will appreciate it and so will users here :)

Unity has an excellent relationship with everyone in the same industry, so it's pretty cool really. C# seems to be gaining adoption which is a great thing! Do love the language.

MD_Reptile, Kiwasi, landon912 and 4 others like this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Anyone else notice the download for CryEngine V is only 1.1GB? I haven't actually gotten around to poking and prodding it but that's one of the first things I noticed. Granted that doesn't take into consideration the size of an IDE.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  4. N1warhead

N1warhead

It's actually 8 something lol.
    At least that's what their website says.. And yeah I agree @hippocoder...... I love how the fact that if you know how to do C# correctly, it most certainly can be faster than a crap C++ coder. And by all means, I'm sure that C# even with profession C# and C++ coders went head to head wouldn't be really a noticeably slower difference. But I've never really messed with C++ before. But it can't really be that much slower or nobody would use it for anything but specific things.

s-ta-c likes this.
  5. elmar1028

elmar1028

I was trying to try Cry Engine V. But I can't even get past opening the launcher properly.

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

It may be 8GB after it is extracted, but the launcher only downloaded 1.1GB.

7. kB11

kB11

Indeed truly interesting to see another great engine using C#!
    CryEngine really has some powerful features and being able to pay exactly what I want is an interesting proposition.

Unfortunately their documentation and tutorials for CryEngine V are nearly nonexistant, so I can't really do anything :D

Edit: Yes, the download was pretty small for me, as well. Kind of surprised me, considering I had to download 15gb for Lumberyard...

8. N1warhead

N1warhead

yeah it took me a minute as well. What I had to do was, create a new project, select C# (for me at least). And then it asks about downloading the engine, then this is where it gets confusing.

When it's downloading the launcher will just say initializing, but if you check the install directory, the size of it slowly and slowly goes up, so just wait for like an hour and it be finally done lol.

9. N1warhead

N1warhead

@kB11 - yeah man, the little bit of docs are irrelevant. Even the tutorials section gives me stuff I could care less about, all I want to know is the basics (start engine > create a terrain > how to actually use textures (because they didn't work for me) > then how to import models, how to find where to create a script) that's all I really need to know to get started lol.

10. antislash

antislash

i agree, CE is a great engine, but lacks some more detailed docs (but CT staff released veeeery detailed books for you to buy them :D )
    and C# in it is way cool.
    i thint the FBX support will ease it.
    and the terrais system is awesome, you just have to undarstand how it works (you terrain textures must be Hi-Passed first). but it has POM and a handy vegetation system etc, nice.
    the really painful part, for me is importing skinned meshes and anims and putting them in the engine, veery painful.
    i left CE when they went on steam, but i will take it back because unity is not clearly made for AAA graphics, unless you buy tons of assets, CE has everything out of the box, and the pay what you want deal is reaaaally attractive.
    unity is perfect for prototyping , all kind of small games, interactive visualizations and animators though
    plus i can create my own shaders, that's why i love it.
    i'm looking forward to have some feedback from C# coders in CE.

11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

A common thing people say when they can't achieve AAA. For us, it's not correct. Visually we have achieved the quality bar we are looking for but obviously the AAA content is out of scope (no engine would be able to help us there).

Jingle-Fett, Ironmax, Patico and 4 others like this.
  12. antislash

antislash

eh i cant produce a AAA game alone correct, but i can produce AAA assets if needed.
    not unity bashing.... but i mean... take some assets, put them in unity as is, in CE as is , all out of the box ....and see..
    and i have not tested a big level in unity yet i wonder if perfs will be the same.. CE was made for this
    but again i love the versatility of unity, the ability to create shaders easily, editor extensions etc, create your own terrain system if you want and overall : export to various platforms in a click, including webplayer , that's awesome.. that's unique. both engine have their very own territory, i dream of unity and CE in one engine

Brity likes this.
  13. EliasMasche

EliasMasche

Look the Level detail in graphics and small details in this game call Escape from Tarkov by Battlestate Games. are using Unity 5,

14. N1warhead

N1warhead

I'll say what I've always said, realism = texture quality. bad textures = bad quality.
    Yeah some Image Effects do help a lot. But the actual texture quality still depends to me at least depends how good you made the textures.

Alverik likes this.
  15. antislash

antislash

yep really nice work , they may have heavily modified all kind of stuff IMO.
    ok guys cool down i'm not bashing unity again.. i used CE and use actually unity, some stuff in unity is a bliss, and at the same time, i miss some stuff i had in CE.

not only mate.... it's model quality, baking quality, it's level design, it's lighting ( you can have the best texture and models, if lightin, shaders and render suck, you suck), plus performance etc et

Brity likes this.
  16. N1warhead

N1warhead

Well yeah I know lol. But bad textures will never look realistic.....

Lighting is very important, however, with all the stuff Unity is getting now, it's just piecing it all together.
    A tiny more work than Unreal, etc. But it can be achieved, as the Adam video above, it looks astonishing :D

17. antislash

antislash

sorry the thread is about C# in cryengine.... better wait for some feedback to see if it is as cool as in unity

18. N1warhead

N1warhead

"now has C# and more" so it's not just about C# lol.
    Trust me I'm not taking this as an argument or anything, I was just saying, I agree with you, but still a bad texture will never look real no matter how good lighting, etc is lol.

19. Ryiah

Ryiah

I haven't actually poked around inside the editor, but prodding the executables shows they are running Mono 4. Additionally it appears to be shipping with the necessary files for Boo scripting. I wonder if their eventual plans are to replace Python, offer it as an alternative to C# for those who like Python, or it simply comes with Mono.

Either way having Mono 4 means they have C# 6.0 and .NET 4.5.

Kiwasi and N1warhead like this.
  20. elmar1028

elmar1028

I would've gladly done that. If only...

...this stopped happening :/

Deleted User likes this.
  21. N1warhead

N1warhead

@elmar1028 - that happened to me last night. took me launching the launcher like 10 times for it to finally login lol.

22. Ryiah

Ryiah

My only problems with the launcher were claims that the servers were offline. There was a brief period of maintenance during the initial day which leads me to believe it was an internal problem, but it could have just been the demand from everyone grabbing a copy to evaluate it.

23. elmar1028

elmar1028

Everything about CryEngine's website is broken. Registration was slow (pressing "register" does nothing). Confirmation email took hours to arrive.
    After downloading the launcher, I get this problem (above).

So far, Cry Engine makes me Cry :'(

lunaticCoder likes this.
  24. iamthwee

iamthwee

Is anyone else wondering why that man being chased by a hippo is naked?

25. N1warhead

N1warhead

I by know means will replace Unity with Cryengine.
    But it will be fun to mess around with when I'm bored lol...

26. zenGarden

zenGarden

I don't like their workflow or editor, but there is one thing where the engine is a real beast , this is performance, it outshines UE4 and Unity by far.
    I had CryEngine free devkit and island demo when it was available running on my old laptop at an average 18 fps, and i had their new outdoor demo with CryEngine V running on that old machine at 40-60 fps.
    CryEngine was fast, but they say they redesigned and rewritten the rendering and this is a big improvment.

Brity and antislash like this.
  27. antislash

antislash

i completely agree, i have CE 3 4 4 on my 3 years ole i5 laptop and the island demo runs at 20 fps, while i have unity 5 on the same machine with a level of mine with just some trees, grass and 8 rocks ... and the editor didn't even want to rotate the view... gasp

28. zenGarden

zenGarden

This means we can run real time SVOGI on old laptop with high quality level and assets.
    CryEngine runs better than Unity on old PC, this is the fastest engine for PC games not the most easy to use or to prototype games.
    If you need the maximum performance together with high end graphics this is the way to go if you are able to deal with their cluncky editor and very cluncky workflow.

29. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The main performance delta is that people use uber, alloy etc and expect great framerates. That can't happen. These shaders aren't remotely as optimised, they target a different class of hardware. That's not their fault though, it's the unrealistic expectations of hobbyists who don't really understand how trimmed back the shaders are on the AAA side. Things are limited there for a good reason: most of the Unity shaders and 3rd party shaders aren't really going to run well on older systems.

While cryengine is heavy, they did all the optimisations they could to get that perf. If you want the same in Unity you'll have to strip down the post and shaders a little... things are wasteful in Unity land but that doesn't mean Unity can't do it.

Brity and Ryiah like this.
  30. zenGarden

zenGarden

Cryteck makes AAA optimized big outdoor games.
    You can't compare with Unity that don't make such big games, Unity main job is to bring a very friendly easy to use editor and game engine, not to make fast AAA games. They are really different goals and jobs.
    This is why any CryEngine user will benefit their games optimisations. Until Unity makes a big game we can't expect such exceptionnal performance.

Brity likes this.
  31. kB11

kB11

If anyone was as clueless as me on how to actually get to the C# code, this tutorial helped me a lot :D

Edit: Wanted to thank the guy on their forums. Couldn't, because the reply button doesn't do anything :rolleyes:

Edit2: Their documentation now states that over time they want to move to Collada as the primary import format they are supporting. I think this should improve their import pipeline.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    antislash and Ryiah like this.
  32. kB11

kB11

Ok, so I now actually took a look at the C# code of that Sydewinder project and of an empty sample project and I have to say, I am quite pleased with what I saw.
    The API seems to work pretty similar to Unity's. The code seems pretty clean and straightforward and I think if one knows Unity, it wouldn't be hard to start scripting in CryEngine C# (or CE#, as they call it..).

If they had proper documentation.

With this positive experience, with them apparently working on improving their import pipeline, the cleaner editor, the pay what you want model and all of this talk about cryengine being more performant, I am certainly going to keep an eye on this for possible future projects.

If they create some great documentation and tutorials and work to improve the rest of the workflow, this could shape up to finally be a great alternative to Unity and UE4 (CE# actually seems easier to me than what I experienced in my tests in UE4) for a much larger audience of developers.

Ryiah likes this.
  33. iamthwee

iamthwee

There's also apparently a blender plugin, I think it is called cryblend that imports models to cryengine, not tried it. Sadly, I've still got lumberyard on my windows machine, does cryengine take as long as lumberyard to compile the assets?

The beach city scene took (no joke) 5-6 hours to compile the scene, and it seems you're restricted to a one game option, where whatever you're developing is the default. I couldn't remove the beach city game and select another scene after setting up that json file - haven't looked at it since.

Cryengine doesn't seem so great on indoor scenes requiring baked lighting as far as I could tell. If I was to jump unity it would still probably be unreal for the time being, even though blueprints really suck.

Deleted User likes this.
  34. kB11

kB11

I actually just deleted Lumberyard after trying out CryEngine V. Lumberyard was a huge download, some work to set up properly and that Asset Importing Process truly took long.

After having to wait for two days until my CryEngine account actually worked and I could download the engine, setting up CryEngine V was A LOT easier in comparison. Just download the launcher, that one downloads the engine (only 1.1gb for some reason) and off you go. If you want to use C# scripting, you need to download two more small dependencies but that was nothing compared to all the stuff for Lumberyard.

I haven't tested any large scenes in CryEngine yet, so the fact that I haven't seen any asset importing probably means nothing.

If I understood everything correctly, CryEngine doesn't use baked lighting? (everything is realtime?)

tatoforever, antislash and Ryiah like this.
  35. zenGarden

zenGarden

Lumberyard doesn't have C5 big performance improvment because it is based on the old CryEngine rendering architecture (before version V).

It's cluncky and not straight forward, you'll have to wait and see if CryBlend improves or Cryteck brings some complete FBX or Collada or any other format support instead of having to pay a Maya or 3DSMAX subscription.

Did you made some tests ? There are pretty good interiors.

I agree Lumberyard is a mess about the download , the compilation or plugins size. CryEngine 5 is lot better. I would not be surprise that Cryteck have sold their engine to Amazon and been working on version 5 from that point.

36. iamthwee

iamthwee

Yes, I've seen some archviz stuff in cryengine but it doesn't nearly look as good as unreal, obviously as it isn't baked, which won't be an issue if you intend to create open world games, but I'm not so keen on open world games, all I did notice was the compile time in lumberyard was just unreasonable, I can only assume its might be the same for CE, as let's be fair lumberyard for now is basically CE with a new name.

That's what's currently keeping me away, and the non official support for anyone working with blender, being the biggest issue.

37. Ryiah

Ryiah

Just as a frame of reference what is your hardware?

38. iamthwee

iamthwee

But I did do a bit of searching, granted they aren't bad but they'll never be as good as the soft baked shadows and lighting you can get from unreal.

Brity likes this.
  39. iamthwee

iamthwee

Quad core, 8gb of ram, windows 8.1, nvidia GTX750, 1TB SSD drive <- yeah big mistake as unreal and CE most probably eats up hard disk space like "popcorn."

Did you try to import the beach city scene?

Ryiah likes this.
  40. zenGarden

zenGarden

CryEngine is about realtime and no baking, and managing big outdoor games, it is the fastest rendering engine for that purpose. If your need is Archi Viz or interiors mainly and you need quality lightmaps then you just consider Unity Enlighten or UE4 Ligtmass.

About Blender or general 3D format support, i agree CryTeck is still keeping their positions on Maya and 3DSMAX, so this is not good until they really change their opinion.

I tried also, after some hours it was not still displayed. Something is wrong with Lumberyard and that beach demo.

41. iamthwee

iamthwee

To be fair I didn't think the external dependancies for lumberyard were that bad, two of them are optional, I think it is the mmpegs codecs or something, the guy in the youtube video intro'ing the beach city scene went ahead and downloaded them.

What I didn't like was the compile time to bring it in. Kinda removes the idea of having real time GI if you have to wait that long to import. Well, as I said I'm only guessing, it might be different inside CE V5.

42. zenGarden

zenGarden

You are talking about Lumberyard engine that is a different engine now and CryEngine don't have this problem; you should submit your issue to Lumberyard forums instead :D

Anyway i am not sure you would successfully use CryEngine 5 and make a game, because it is harder than Unity 5, less easy and you won't find all Asset Store templates and plugins.

43. antislash

antislash

nope i made the test with out of the box unity , all std stuff

darkhog likes this.
  44. iamthwee

iamthwee

Yeah, you're right, I'm just going on conjecture that lumberyard is like CE, but I don't think it is an issue or bug, it is just how it is at this point in time for lumberyard.

45. Ryiah

Ryiah

That's pretty close to my hardware. Guess I'll scratch Lumberyard off my list of engines to investigate for a while.

46. Cascho01

Cascho01

As I´m producing archviz the fantastic plants in Cryengine vs the incomplete Speedtree integration in Unity makes me fancy to Cryengine. And now c#.
    On the other side producing apps so quickly in Unity and the hopefully coming RealtimeGi from SonicEther definately keeps me loyal to Unity.

Besides that, does Cry natively support iOS/Android/WebGL?

antislash likes this.
  47. iamthwee

iamthwee

The other thing that keeps me with unity is it really is the only GE that is cross platform, and I can develop on a mac mini. Unreal, you really need a windows box with a decent nvidia GPU, wouldn't be surprised if it the same for CE. I can't stand switching to my windows box. I only have it there if I need to explore other game engines...

If you're doing quality archviz I'd highly recommend an engine that can bake for the time being, nothing beats the fidelity of baked shadows. But depends what you need.

48. Ryiah

Ryiah

49. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well this is going to turn into a dull affair soon, all the complaints I had of all engines are pretty much dissapearing in the wind. It's going to become hard to even recommend an engine, just throw a dart at a board and go with it dependant on your game / platform..

What an exciting time for an Indie, where the sky is the limit and you're the key to success. Technnology isn't in the way.!

Not sure what else to say :D..

Teila, Brity, GCatz and 7 others like this.
  50. iamthwee

iamthwee

I also noticed that inside the editor, but if you go to run the game, launch the beachcity exe it launches, with the full scene.