Search Unity

Creating animation events (with EditorWindow)

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by FeastSC2, Jul 11, 2017.

1. FeastSC2

FeastSC2

I'm trying to add events to animation clips (with a gameObject as argument).

Code (CSharp):
    2. var e = new AnimationEvent();
    3. e.functionName = "EventHitbox";
    4. e.objectReferenceParameter = hitbox.gameObject;
    6. // Option 1: This seems to create everything as it should but once I run the game the events
    7. //are not fired properly (some of them work, some don't). I think this is closer to the "official"
    8. //way of going about it, but it won't work for me.
    9. var currentEvents = AnimationUtility.GetAnimationEvents(animClip).ToList();
    10. currentEvents.Add(e);
    11. AnimationUtility.SetAnimationEvents(animClip, currentEvents.ToArray());
    13. // Option 2:
    14. animClip.AddEvent(e); // this is not persistent, once exitting playmode the events are gone.
    15. var currentEvents = AnimationUtility.GetAnimationEvents(animClip).ToList();
    16. // so I try and add it here permanently. This makes the anim events persist up until I restart Unity.
    17. // Additionally, the events in playmode are fired properly this way unlike Option 1.
    18. AnimationUtility.SetAnimationEvents(animClip, currentEvents.ToArray());
    So right now, I'm using option 2, but the problem of animation events disappearing is also true for Option 1, so it's all the same.

TL;DR:
    My animation events references are gone once I restart Unity's application (the passed gameObject = null). Why does that happen?

If you don't understand the problem, consider telling me how you would approach creating animation events in animation clips programmatically.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  2. FeastSC2

FeastSC2

Okay I understood the issue. It's due to the fact that I was referencing game objects that were not Prefabs but gameObjects in the scene.

Unfortunately, I don't believe that one can link animation events to scene objects.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017