Search Unity

Crash initializing the reporting system on Android

Discussion in 'Unity Cloud Diagnostics' started by WhatWapp, Mar 17, 2015.

1. WhatWapp

WhatWapp

Hi,
    we've been using the new Performance Reporting system.
    We are seeing a big number (1149 as of now) of NullReferenceException with this stacktrace:

UnityEngine.CrashLog.ConfigService+<CheckForConfigResponse>d__0.MoveNext ()

It happens on different Android devices (from Samsung smartphones to Sony, LG and Huawei) while the system version range from 4.1.x to 4.4.x.

It looks like something is wrong initializing the service. Is it something we are doing wrong or is it a bug in the plugin?

Thanks,
    Alessandro

2. andyk-unity

andyk-unity

Sorry for the issues! Just a few questions.

1) Did this start immediately after you started using the service or did it start at a later date?
    2) Does it only happen on Android?
    3) Are you seeing other crashes or is this the only one?

We'll start looking into this on our side as well.

Thanks!

3. WhatWapp

WhatWapp

Thanks for the reply!

1) It started few days later when we launched an ad campaign which brought lots of Android users. It never happened on our testing devices (10+ Android models).
    2) So far it happened only on Android devices
    3) We are seeing other crashes on our app, but nothing compared to the scale of this one (the worst bug had something like 200 occurrences, this one had 1.500+ occurrences)

One question though: is there a way to filter crash reports? Is annoying to still go through bug reports that are already fixed in the current release.

4. WhatWapp

WhatWapp

Any news about it?

we implemented it in one of our top apps and we are getting something like 3/4.000 bugs report of this bug. Plus we found this new one, which has more informations (around 2/400 times a day) :

Thanks,
    Alessandro

5. DMinsky

DMinsky

Also have this issue on standalone platforms:
    • Windows 8.1 (6.3.9600) 64bit
    • Mac OS X 10.10.2
    • Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601) 64bit

6. ChrisLundquist

ChrisLundquist

Unity Technologies

This this still going on?

7. noethis

noethis

Yep, I"m still getting a ton of this exception. Android for me as well (though I don't think it's currently enabled on iOS):

upload_2015-11-5_11-43-34.png

8. ChrisLundquist

ChrisLundquist

Unity Technologies

@noethis
    - What version of unity?
    - When did you update the plugin? https://public-cdn.cloud.unity3d.com/UnityCrashLog.unitypackage

If I presume you're using Unity 5.x and the latest plugin then, this certainly seems like a race condition in the plugin and something we need to fix on our end. I'll let our editor guy know! Thanks for the report!

I hope, other than the spam from this one exception, you're also seeing others?

Thanks,
    Chris Lundquist

9. noethis

noethis

Sorry, just have mentioned I'm on 5.2.2p2. Not sure how to tell the versioning of the plugin, but I just re-imported the one you linked.

Yeah, I'm seeing a bunch of other exceptions, not just this one.

10. ChrisLundquist

ChrisLundquist

Unity Technologies

Cool, thanks for letting us know! Yeah, sadly there isn't a good way to determine the plugin version at the moment. If you reimported it, then you have the latest at the moment.

I'll let our plugin dev know!

Thanks for posting,
    Chris Lundquist

11. wcorwin

wcorwin

Testing fixes for both issues. If you're having either of these issues could you contact me to help test the next release? That would be great!

12. Nicolas1212

Nicolas1212

Sorry to re-open the thread, but we're currently having the same issues as well.

Details:
    Unity: 5.2.3p1
    UnityCrashLog md5: d57968508ec492be1a5473689d6b5e3d (gives the date modified as Aug 24th)
    Currently we're only on Android, but we've > 1000 instances of it so far across a number of devices (TCL 5042T (Android 4.4.4), Sony D6603 (Android 5.1.1), SGH-I337M (Android 5.0.1)). We're still in soft-launch, so we don't have a huge number of users, so it's almost certainly a small number repeatedly triggering the error.

13. ldaughtry

ldaughtry

I can reliably recreate this in 5.3.4 in the editor by trying to initialize crash logging while my laptop is connected to wifi, but my router is disconnected.

14. ChrisLundquist

ChrisLundquist

Unity Technologies