Search Unity

Corrupted stack traces with il2cpp on iOS

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by liortal, May 17, 2016.

1. liortal

liortal

Hey

We have an automated crash reporting system as well as report various errors that occur in the game (not crashes).

On iOS, many of these are reported with a stack trace that just doesn't make any sense.
    We know that there used to be issues regarding that in the past, but i believe these were already resolved.

We are using Unity 5.3.4p1, which is relatively up to date.

Anyone else experiences such issues ?

BTW, we get the errors + stack traces using Unity's event 'logMessageReceived':
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Application.logMessageReceived     += ReportError;
    Code (CSharp):
    1. private void ReportError(string logString, string stackTrace, LogType type)
    2. {
    3.     // use the stackTrace string when reporting the error
    4. }

2. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@liortal

We did find and correct one issue related to stack traces in the 5.3.5p1 release (which should be available on Wednesday). This fix was specific to NullReferenceException and DivideByZeroException exceptions thrown by the runtime code though.

You hinted that you might be seeing incorrect stack traces in exceptions thrown by managed code in your project. Is that correct? If so, that is a problem we are not aware of, but we would like to correct.

3. liortal

liortal

Hi Josh,

The problem is that these issues are pretty random, we're only getting them from real world players, and can't always reproduce them in house.

Also, I do have to get permissions from my employers in order to share our project with you guys (i have tried to get that in the past but did not get it unfortunately).

I can share a few scenarios of stack traces that can't be right:

NRE with no stack trace at all:
    NullReferenceException: A null value was found where an object instance was required

This is the code that is reported to throw the exception:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. private bool canSelectItem = true;
    3. /// <summary>
    4. /// A flag that determines whether a leaderboard item can currently be selected (clicked on).
    5. /// </summary>
    6. public bool CanSelectItem
    7. {
    8.     get { return canSelectItem; }
    9.     set { canSelectItem = value; }
    10. }
    I need to look for a few other examples, we had others, It looks like it's mostly NullReferenceExceptions.

4. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@liortal

This looks a lot like what we were seeing the bug which we corrected. The call stack would have a managed method on it, but it is the wrong managed method. In fact, it is the next managed method in the binary after the method that actually threw the exception. Clearly, CanSelectItem did not throw an NRE!

I would recommend trying 5.3.5p1 when it is released (it may be a delayed a day or two, from what I'm hearing). I guess it will be difficult to know for sure if the problem is corrected, as this is not consistently reproducible. But we should be able to find out soon if there are still incorrect stack traces reported.

5. liortal

liortal

Thanks Josh! i'll upgrade and update this thread in case the issue was fixed (or not.... )

6. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

No signs of 5.3.5 or p1? has there been a delay?

7. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@MrEsquire

Yes, there has been a delay. I've heard that some part of our internal build publishing pipeline ran into some issues, although I don't know the details. I would expect 5.3.5f1 in a day or two, and 5.3.5p1 maybe early next week now.

MrEsquire likes this.
  8. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Thanks you was correct, official has been released. Any internal news on the first patch?

9. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@MrEsquire

Sorry, I don't have more news yet. I believe that some build publishing issues still linger, but we're working on it.

10. liortal

liortal

We just started using 5.3.5p1, still getting corrupt stack traces, here's an example:

11. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@liortal

The last known bug we had with incorrect stack traces on iOS was fixed in 5.3.5p1, so this is definitely something we have not seen. Is it possible for you to submit a project to reproduce this?

12. liortal

liortal

My company cannot share the project, not without protecting themselves in some legal way (it's not up to me, sorry...).
    I will see what the latest decision is.

In the meantime, please note that it seems all stack traces that we report now being with the same method calls (which are clearly wrong), here are 2 examples:

Fyber :: Request failed due to: An error happened while trying to retrieve ads
    MALog:ReportError(String, String, LogType)
    FyberPlugin.FyberCallbacksManager:processRequestCallback(NativeMessage)
    System.Collections.Generic.ICollection`1:get_Count()\n
    System.Collections.Generic.ICollection`1:get_Count()

UnityException: SetAnimationImpactTimes : No events in shield animation
    ShieldMainAnimation.SetAnimationImpactTimes (Int32 shieldCount)
    ShieldMainAnimation.PlayAnimation (Int32 amountOfShields)
    MainManager+<playShieldSequenceInternalIenum>c__Iterator92.MoveNext ()
    System.Collections.Generic.ICollection`1[T].get_Count ()

Not sure there's much you can do without a project though...

13. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@liortal

Thanks, I understand.

Bugs like this are difficult to track down without the project, because they are usually impacted by the layout of the binary executable file.

With that said, you can check at least one thing on your side. This error looks like one we had in the past when the MapFIleParser utility was not working correctly. That utility runs after the linker, and reads the linker map file to produce a binary data file that libil2cpp reads at runtime to understand the function locations in the executable.

You can check the Xcode build output after the linker runs for information about the MapFileParser. It should run and not report an error. You can also look in the output project for files named SymbolMap* - these are the data files used by libil2cpp at runtime. If they are not present, we can get incorrect stack traces which look like this.

Of course, the incorrect stack traces could be caused by something different as well, but this might be worth a look.

14. liortal

liortal

I will check that; Other info that (may?) be useful: we did not yet upgrade our project from 5.3.4p1.

The way i do it, is i flip the switch in Cloud build to set a different version of the engine. I tried both 5.3.5p1 and 5.3.5p4 today, both exhibit this issue. I will try to see if there's any Xcode log in Unity cloud build and will report it if i find anything.

15. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@liortal

I don't think the fact that the project is still on 5.3.4p1 should have an impact. The stack traces should not depend on the code in the project, only on the runtime for the virtual machine. Hopefully cloud build will allow you to see the full Xcode log.

16. liortal

liortal

I found this in the log:
    Is this related? (i will send you the full log in a PM if that is possible)

17. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@liortal

Yes, that looks like a good source for this problem. Please PM me the full log if you can.

18. liortal

liortal

Just did thanks !!

19. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Thanks to the bug report @liortal submitted, we were able to track down the cause of this problem. It looks like stack traces have probably not worked correctly with iOS builds from cloud build for some time, as the cloud build configuration for Xcode was subtly different from the default configuration, and the generation of the SymbolMap files IL2CPP needs to build proper managed stack traces was (almost) silently failing.

The good news is that we have a fix, and the fix should land on cloud build within the next Unity patch release or so.

20. adamt

adamt

I'm seeing a slightly different issue, but am wondering if it's somehow related. We've developing a game for iOS and Android. We use an in-game logger for our development builds called Lunar Mobile Console, and it shows us the Unity stack trace for all Debug.Log statements. We also publish our dev builds through HockeyApp, so we get to see the exceptions there as well. In LMC, in iOS, I'm seeing stack traces on normal Debug.Log statements that look like this:

However, in the Unity editor, the same log message looks like this:

There are two things of interest here: First, is it possible to get line numbers like we get in-editor? It would make tracking down exceptions so much easier. Second, why has the iOS build injected spurious calls to various methods (e.g., ThirdParty.MD5.MD5Managed:HashFinal and IAnalyticsFieldNameAdapter:Adapt)? The analytics field name adapter is literally a 4-line interface with 1 method that simply adapts typed fields into their string counterparts readable by our analytics system. Furthermore, it isn't even in the call chain for this particular log statement, so I'm not sure why it's even showing up.

We're running Unity 5.3.5p2 against Xcode 7.3.1 using the Debug configuration with both Development Build and Script Debugging selected.

Update: I just noticed this crash come in from HockeyApp. It's sort of ridiculous:

The Amazon method doesn't cause that error to be logged, DC.Common.Tuning.GetDefById does. Why is the Amazon method there? And why are there now EIGHT mentions of the (not-at-all-in-the-actual-call-stack) IAnalyticsFieldNameAdapter#Adapt method? Hoping this is a known/fixed issue in 5.4...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  21. liortal

liortal

Are you building your game from cloud build? if you are, it may be similar to the issue we had. The stack traces could not be relied on (see my examples above). If you are using cloud build you should use 5.3.5p7 or higher this should solve that issue.

If you are not using cloud build, you should check out newer patch releases as they *may* resolve other corrupted stack trace issues, though i am not sure.

Regarding line numbers - the editor runs your C# code so you can get line numbers, but as the code is transformed into C++ on iOS (using il2cpp) this information is lost... the code that is executed is no longer c# and these line numbers are no longer relevant ...

22. adamt

adamt

Thanks for the reply, liortal.

We're actually building with Jenkins. I'd like to try Cloud Build, but I'm a bit worried it won't work for our circumstances (we have both client and server solutions with multiple shared projects and it just seems easier to use one system than two).

I haven't tried 5.3.5p7 yet, but I've been wary of upgrading beyond p2 because there's an unresolved issue I've had with p3 - p6 that seems have been deprioritized at this point. It's a hard crash almost immediately after entering the game (due to something in Unity's implementation of UnityWebRequest) so I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'll try p7 tomorrow morning, though, and will see if it solves anything -- or at least see if it doesn't cause our game to crash anymore.

Regarding the line numbers, that totally makes sense, I was just sorta grasping at straws.

23. liortal

liortal

Could you elaborate on the console logger you're using? what is it for ? and would you recommend it ?

24. adamt

adamt

I'd actually very much recommend it -- it's been invaluable for showing us in-game errors and general logs. It's called Lunar Mobile Console (they also offer something called Lunar Plugin that I haven't tried -- it's more akin to the old Quake console, if you're old enough to remember futzing around with that, heh).

Basically, you two-finger-swipe down from the top of your device and the console shows up. Think of it like Unity's console, with Log, LogWarning, and LogError messages displayed therein. You can tap any given entry to show its full message and any relevant stack trace (or in my case, something mostly relevant), filter by info/debug/error types, filter, and even email logs if enabled.

A few great things is that it is entirely self-contained within a single folder, so you don't have to pick apart your project if you decide not to use it anymore; it works on both iOS and Android; it's open source; it also has batch mode support so you can disable it for production builds with one executeMethod call. It's pretty actively developed, too, and the guy responds to questions really quickly on the forum thread.

liortal likes this.
  25. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@adamt

Stack traces should be working on 5.3.5p2 without any problems. I suspect the problem lies with the MapFileParser utility though. That utility is part of the Xcode project that Unity creates. It parses the linker Map file from clang and generates two binary files (named SymbolMap-32 and SymbolMap-64). These files are used by the Unity player at runtime to understand the location of managed methods in the final binary, and to properly create stack traces.

I suspect that the Xcode build process is not generating these files correctly. Can look in your Xcode build logs for a warning (not an error) after the link step? The MapFileParser runs as part of a shell script step in Xcode. If there is a warning there, it might help us track down the cause of the issue.

As for source file line numbers, that is something that is possible to do, although as @liortal mentioned, the conversion to C++ and subsequent C++ compiler optimizations could cause us to loose some information. We've not implemented it yet because it would require some non-trivial additional data files to go into the player build, and we don't think that the added build size is worth the benefit yet. With they said, we've also thought about an offline way to get the source code mapping back, so we might implement something like that in the future.

26. adamt

adamt

Here's a screenshot of my build logs, Josh:

xcode-build-log.png

The Run Script step ran just fine, however I can't find any references to MapFileParser when I expand the highlighted step. Maybe that's an issue? I know I've seen a reference to that before while digging around various files, but I can't remember where.

About the line numbers, that's understandable. Would be nice to get something like what CoffeeScript and Sass have (source maps) even if performance went out the window, but I know C++ and JS/CSS are entirely separate beasts, heh.

27. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@adamt

Ok, that looks correct. Can you confirm that you have SymbolMap-32 and SymbolMap-64 files in the build output? I think that they end up in the Data/Managed directory. If they are there properly, this looks like a new issue which we've not seen before. In that case please submit a bug report so that we can debug it here.

On the issue of source maps, that is very similar to the approach we have thought about taking. I'll keep your feedback in mind, as it bit be beneficial even at the cost of some performance and size.

28. adamt

adamt

I just did a find in the entire build directory for those files and they didn't come up. However, I also realized where I'd seen the MapFileParser... in the root build directory itself, heh. Here's the terminal output:

terminal-output.png

So it's definitely there, and I can see in the shell script that it's calling into the MapFileParser executable, but maybe the script just isn't getting run by the build process. A reference to
    "$PROJECT_DIR/MapFileParser.sh" is also listed in the "Run Script" section of the "Build Phases" tab of my project, so I'm not quite sure what's going on there. Do you know of a way to check its output? Since it's not showing up in the build log, I'm kind of at a loss.

29. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@adamt

You can manually modify the MapFileParser.sh file and drop in a few echo statements to confirm what it is doing. The output of those statements should show up in the Xcode build log.

However, based on the screen shot, it looks like your search was in the Xcode project directory. I think that Xcode builds its output to a separate, temporary directory, so I would expect the SymbolMap files to be located in that output directory. Maybe build in Xcode to archive the project, then manually browse to the archive directory on disk.

30. adamt

adamt

I'm not familiar with how to do that. I built an archive, right-clicked the resulting archive's entry in the "Archives" window and chose "Show in Finder." That took me to a file called Unity-iPhone 7-14-16, 11.45 AM.xcarchive in Finder. I opened a Terminal tab there because I figured it was actually a directory, and inside I found 4 directories (BCSymbolMaps, Products, SCMBlueprint, dSYMs) and 1 file (Info.plist). I don't see a log directory anywhere, and the BCSymbolMaps directory only has one file, D9DDC238-4158-3365-BC87-FF4CDDD024B1.bcsymbolmap. Maybe I did something wrong or am looking in the wrong place. I'm not terribly familiar with Xcode.

I added a few echo statements to the MapFileParser.sh file and here's what I've gathered:

ARCHS: armv7
    PROJECT_DIR: /Users/adam/dev/games/builds/iOS
    TARGET_TEMP_DIR: /Users/adam/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Unity-iPhone-bclunkiqbvdildbkgpidyesqeadb/Build/Intermediates/Unity-iPhone.build/Debug-iphoneos/Unity-iPhone.build
    PRODUCT_NAME: dungeon
    CURRENT_VARIANT: normal
    CONFIGURATION_BUILD_DIR: /Users/adam/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Unity-iPhone-bclunkiqbvdildbkgpidyesqeadb/Build/Products/Debug-iphoneos

Inside the TARGET_TEMP_DIR, I do see a dungeon-LinkMap-normal-armv7.txt file, so I'm assuming MapFileParser has done some of its job, but none of the SymbolMap-* files exist (again, this might be the wrong directory).

31. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@adamt

I think you are close. Have a look in the Products directory. You should see this path: Products/Applications/dungeon.app/Data/Managed with the SymbolMap-32 file in that directory.

32. adamt

adamt

OK so strangely, I can see that file in my local machine when I navigate to the archive directory's Products/Debug-iphoneos/dungeon.app/Data/Managed directory. I can also see it locally in Xcode's DerivedData directory (similar to the path of the TARGET_TEMP_DIR I mentioned above). However, when I go to my build machine and go into Xcode's DerivedData directory for the target build, SymbolMap-32 doesn't exist there.

The only difference between what I'm doing locally and what we're doing on the build machine is that I'm kicking off local builds through Xcode's UI under Product -> Build, whereas Jenkins is building with the xcodebuild command line utility. They both use the same configuration (Debug). The xcodebuild command line doesn't seem suspect to me:

/usr/bin/xcodebuild -target Unity-iPhone -configuration Debug build CONFIGURATION_BUILD_DIR=/Users/MacMini/jenkins/workspace/dungeon-ios/Client/Builds/iOS/build "CODE_SIGN_IDENTITY=iPhone Distribution" CODE_SIGN_RESOURCE_RULES_PATH=$(SDKROOT)/ResourceRules.plist DEBUG_INFORMATION_FORMAT=dwarf-with-dsym

Any ideas? The only difference I can tell is that the build machine has Xcode 7.2.1 while I have 7.3.1 locally. I can try to upgrade the build machine to the newer version if you think it would help.

33. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@adamt

Ahh, I suspect the issue is the CONFIGURATION_BUILD_DIR setting. This looks very similar to the way that Unity Cloud Build is running Xcode, so you may be able to try the same fix. The MapFileParser.sh script was not handling this correctly.

You can try replacing "$BUILD_DIR/$CONFIGURATION$EFFECTIVE_PLATFORM_NAME" in the MapFileParser.sh script with "$CONFIGURATION_BUILD_DIR". This is the change we shipped in 5.3.5p7 to fix the Unity Cloud Build issue.

However, on Unity Cloud Build we were seeing a warning in the log file when CONFIGURATION_BUILD_DIR was being explicitly set like this. So I'm not sure why you don't see a similar warning. But this is worth a try.

34. adamt

adamt

OK, I just upgraded our build machine to 5.3.5p8 and I'm now seeing the SymbolMap-32 file in the Data/Managed directory. Thanks for bearing with me through this. I'll keep you updated as to whether or not this fixes my incorrect stack trace issues.

35. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@adamt

That is good news, thanks!

36. 00christian00

00christian00

Hi Josh,
    Seem the stack traces are still corrupt, at least on Android.
    Tested on 5.4.2p2
    This is a stack trace on Il2CPP Android:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Ex [HTTPRequest]: CallCallback - Message: 1: A null value was found where an object instance was required.   at UnityEngine.Purchasing.Default.WinProductDescription..ctor (System.String id, System.String price, System.String title, System.String description, System.String isoCode, Decimal priceD, System.String receipt, System.String transactionId, Boolean consumable) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    2.                                                                 at UnityEngine.Purchasing.UnityNativePurchasingCallback.EndInvoke (IAsyncResult result) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    3.                                                                 at UnityEngine.Purchasing.UnityNativePurchasingCallback.EndInvoke (IAsyncResult result) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    4.                                                                 at UnityEngine.Purchasing.UnityNativePurchasingCallback.EndInvoke (IAsyncResult result) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    5.                                                                 at Burando.Network.WebMessages.OnRequestFinished (BestHTTP.HTTPRequest request, BestHTTP.HTTPResponse response) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    6.                                                                 at BestHTTP.HTTPRequest.CallCallback () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    7.                                                                 at BestHTTP.Con
    And this on mono Android:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  Ex [HTTPRequest]: CallCallback - Message: 1: Object reference not set to an instance of an object   at Burando.Network.WebMessages.OnRequestFinished (BestHTTP.HTTPRequest request, BestHTTP.HTTPResponse response) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    2.                                                                 at BestHTTP.HTTPRequest.CallCallback () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0   StackTrace:   at Burando.Network.WebMessages.OnRequestFinished (BestHTTP.HTTPRequest request, BestHTTP.HTTPResponse response) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    3.                                                                 at BestHTTP.HTTPRequest.CallCallback () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    5.                                                               (Filename: ./artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)
    IL2CPP thinks it is coming from Unity IAP which it isn't in reality.

37. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@00christian00

Can you submit a bug report for this issue? We have one stack trace fix ready to land in 5.4.2p4. I would like to determine if this problem has the same cause.

38. 00christian00

00christian00

I am using an "asset store" asset(besthttp), what's the policy in this case?
    Can I include it?

39. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@00christian00

You're free to submit a bug report project with an asset store package included, at least from our side. I'm not sure if the asset store publisher will care though. I can say that we get many project submissions with asset store packages, and I've never heard of this being a problem.

40. 00christian00

00christian00

Luckily i was able to isolate it. Case 846956.
    By the way I saw it is now caching object files, so the second time is definitively faster.
    Could it be that now the first time is much slower however or was my impression? Or maybe besthttp is very heavy to compile, don't know.
    And in what situations it does a clean and refresh all objs?So I know what to avoid.

41. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@00christian00

Yes, with this release the IL2CPP build on Android is caching object files, so only changes C++ files are built again. I don't think that the initial build should be any slower though, as nothing has changed on that side.

The cached object files are stored in the Library directory of the project, in an il2cpp_cache directory. So if that directory is deleted, a full rebuild will occur. Also, a new editor version will also cause a full rebuild. Otherwise, the cache should be used.

00christian00 likes this.