Search Unity

Convert Texture2D to RenderTexture without Blit or Copy?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by FreeGameDev, Aug 23, 2017.

1. FreeGameDev

FreeGameDev

My android Device does not support CopyTexture and by extension does not support Blit.
    So, I am forced to go a different rout. What I want to do is compare the current web-camera frame with one a few frames ago. My current solution is to copy the Color32[] for each frame then compare them. I want to display the Color32[] image on the mainCamera. I am thinking I need to rend the altered Color32[] to the RenderTexture but not sure how to do it. Any ideas?

Or send the Color32[] to a RawImage would be fine too.

BTW. I always give likes to answers... ;)

* Note I figured out sending it to RawImage. Rawimage has a texture assigned to it, so all I did was create a Texture2D then did SetPixels(Color) and Apply(). Then set the RawImage.Texture to the Texture2D.

I would still like to know how to do this to the camera though.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  2. jvo3dc

jvo3dc

Texture2D to RenderTexture should not be that hard to do. Just render a plane (or a teapot even) with the Texture2D applied using projective texturing. For projective texturing:
    - In the vertex shader
    - Take the clip space position x and y (the output position)
    - Change the range from -1 to 1 into 0 to 1 (0.5 + 0.5 * pos_clip.xy)
    - Add a half pixel offset for platforms before DirectX 10 (+= 0.5 * _ScreenParams.zw)
    - Flip the y coordinate if needed
    - Pass x, y and w to the pixel shader
    - In the pixel shader
    - Output the texture using xy / w as uv

Then make sure the object in question is in front of (every) camera. You can use the onPreCull callback for that.

FreeGameDev likes this.
  3. FreeGameDev

FreeGameDev

Thanks, I'll give that a go.
    Ultimately all I want is to send 2 Texture2D's to my shader and update them in the shader each frame.
    I thought Graphics.Copy or Blit was the only way.