Search Unity

Congratulations and Feedback

Discussion in 'EditorXR' started by sarachan, Jan 1, 2017.

1. sarachan

sarachan

Editor VR team,

Congratulations on the experimental release of Editor VR! I have been waiting anxiously to try it since seeing your demonstration videos during 2016.

Using a tradition from Agile software retrospectives, here are a few initial pluses (things that are good or great) and deltas (suggestions for things to change or improve):

Pluses:
    • The Manipulator Gizmo is very nice for 3D transformations in VR.
    • Workspaces are very nice and convenient.
    • Locomotion, both joystick-driven and blink, work well.
    • Open source approach, enabling the community to develop tools, is excellent.
    Deltas:
    • Some game objects are not selectable using ray selection. I had created some simple spheres and cubes using the usual Unity editor, and can select these in EVR using cone selection (or in the Hierarchy), but not ray selection.
    • When instantiating a game object from the Project workspace, it would be helpful if the y direction were straight up by default. This is often the desired orientation.
    • The memory usage sometimes increases drastically, especially when using a workspace, and almost always when using the MiniWorld. When this happens, the software slows down to a crawl, and of course is then not usable in VR. Perhaps performance improvements are possible, such as showing icons in place of complex objects in the MiniWorld?
    My setup is an Oculus Rift CV1 and an Alienware Oculus-ready X51. My sample scene is a small example having some simple shapes and also some 3D humanoid models. (Perhaps these are too complex for the current EVR release?) I have also tried building a scene using the Cartoon City Builder from the Asset Store (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/40453), which has pretty simple (cartoony) models.

One question: Is the plan for EVR to eventually be compatible with Oculus recommended specs, or will there be higher specs required for EVR?

EVR is very promising, and I am looking forward to trying new releases as they are available.

2. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

Thank you for your feedback. For the bugs you've found, please see this post. If you think it is more of a feature request, then please read this.

No, this isn't the current plan because we see EVR being an added layer on top of your existing content, so rendering cost will always be higher. It's convenient that the 10 series GPUs came out already because we are suggesting those if you are going to use EVR.