Search Unity

Conflict with anims going from Character Studio to Unity purchased joint only rigs.

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Jself, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Jself

Jself

So I know the problem that I am having. Character Studio has a rig hierarchy that is not the standard in game dev. Unity bought rigs do.

The problem is that I am trying to get animations from CS to a FBX rig that is just joints. I can't change the Main rig, I can only change the CS animation pipeline. Since animations are already working with the Unity joints.

I am running out of ideas and wanted to see if there are any suggestions that I am missing. The only other idea i have. Is to constrain the Unity individual joints to their counterparts on the Biped Rig. Then reexport the animations. The problem is that I don't know how to do this or what this method is called so that i can google it. Or if it's quick to do.

2. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

Hi jself,

How are you importing those CS animation into unity?
    What import settings are you using?
    If you could do a few screen shot of your model importer rigs and animation tabs and share it with us that would help alot

3. Jself

Jself

It's a simple export from Max FBX. So it is going into Unity as just joints, which is expected.

I was able to find the workaround inside of Unity, dealing with the avatar definition.

But I was getting some import errors on the rig, dealing with triangle pelvis and triangle neck. I fixed those errors and reexported, and the errors still popped up. Are those errors a concern in the long run? Will they still be around after you compile the animations at the end of production?

4. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

those are importer error, so no the end user won't see those error pop in their game but they may see retargeting artifacts on the animation.

Those error does affect the retargeting quality, so you may expect like the shoulder to be aligned in a certain way but because you have some error on your rig the final rotation may not match what you expect

5. Jself

Jself

If what I see in the animation preview window in the Inspector is visually acceptable, is that what I should expect in-game as well? Because i didn't notice anything offensive in the collarbone area when previewing them in the inspector.

6. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

If this animation is played on the same rig than you used to display it in the preview windows you should get the same result in game as well.

If you have different humanoid rig in your project and plan to reuse your animation clip for all your animation rig you could get different result. In this case play your animation on all your different rig to see how it will behave. Simply drag'n drop a model setuped as a humanoid rig into the preview windows to change the animaiton rig