Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] DevConsole 2: The best way to monitor and communicate with your game

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Cobo3, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Cobo3

Cobo3

Hello everyone!

I am happy to present the renewed version of DevConsole.

DevConsole is an in-game developer console solution that allows for real-time monitoring and comunication with your game.

Are there any improvements from the previous version?
    Oh boy, there are. The main improvement is that everything has been rebuilt from scratch. And the commands are now managed by Command System. And the new code design allows for an easier maintainability. Also:

• GUI layout overhaul.
    • CommandAttribute allows for quick command creation
    • Performance improvements
    • Better auto complete algorithm
    • Touch support
    • Hundreds of built-in commands.
    In Addition, the new design allows for many new features.

What are the key features?
    • Automatic log from Debug.Log messages (and all of its variants).
    • Tabs
      Which allow for many user-defined log types.
    • Easy command declaration.
    • Support for touch devices.
    • AutoComplete window showing command suggestions based on text entered.
    • And many, many more.
    On a side note, the current version of DevConsole will be released as a "Lite" separate free package.

Please, feel free to add any suggestions and features you would like to see implemented. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  2. Cobo3

Cobo3

I recently added support for command attributes, which allow for an even easier command declaration.
    [Command] attribute can only be added to static methods, but it supports any kind of agument signature.
    Here's an usage example.
    Command declaration+usage.gif

3. Serky

Serky

Looks increible awesome, i can't wait to put my hands on it.
    Btw, why the gui appear over the console? i think it should be over everything, gui can disturb to read the console.

I'm really interested in join the beta testing. I will try it on my linux box :D

ZhavShaw likes this.
  4. Cobo3

Cobo3

Thanks for the kind workds @Serky and for the feedback too. The gui overlapping is just a matter of usual uGUI configuration (layers, hierarchy sorting and such); but I'll try to make that by default.

Also, having a tester with Linux would be awesome ;)

ZhavShaw likes this.
  5. ZhavShaw

ZhavShaw

Hi there! I'm a buyer of the old DevConsole, and a really happy one too. I first purchased it when I was working on a multiplayer third person shooter to mess with in game stuff like spawning objects and teleporting to players. I'm happy to see you're working on a new version and I can't wait to try it in my projects!

6. ZhavShaw

ZhavShaw

One of the features I would have loved in the older version was the ability to add in more than one arguments for a command. I'm interested in knowing if this would be possible in this version.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Oh man, oh man. This is going to be great, just please, make this Photon compatible. I will be watching this thread a lot, and such. I will most def purchase this in the end. :)

8. ZhavShaw

ZhavShaw

What do you mean Photon compatible?

Deleted User likes this.
  9. Deleted User

Deleted User

I mean like, being able to do something over the network with the console. I dunno really but at least something with Photon. :)

10. Cobo3

Cobo3

@ForceGaming2013 Defenitely. The new and improved command system supports commands with any number and type of parameters (I'll post more on that later on).

11. Cobo3

Cobo3

To be honest, @ItsJoshK , this is not a major focus at the current stage of development. However, later on the road I plan on start adding built-in support for third party assets; and photon will defenitely be one of them =)

Even if I still haven't added support for it, though, you can easely write your own commands. There will be examples and tutorials in the final package on how to do these kind of things.

12. greengremline

greengremline

I am pretty stoked for this new version. I'm using DevConsole in my remake of SCP: Containment Breach, and enjoy how easy it is to set up, but not how it uses the old GUI system. This system seems like it will solve all my issues, looking forward to it!

13. phil-harvey

phil-harvey

How is this coming along? Thanks

14. mons00n

mons00n

I'd be happy to test on OSX; I don't have my linux box handy unfortunately.

15. Player7

Player7

For sure I'll test it.. actually was using another github console that I had put some time into polishing up but have to say some of the features you've added to this look interesting now, more so than the older version on the asset store that didn't grab my interest before when I was looking for console system to use in the game.

As a suggestion an attribute that lets you provide some info on the function (that also shows up in a ugui popup for that command) and also maybe an alias attribute would be useful.

16. KrayonZA

KrayonZA

I would love to test it as well.

17. Cobo3

Cobo3

Much effort has been put into the rendering algorithm to avoid unnecesary processing.
    The results speak for themselves: no impact on frame rate even with thousands of entries (It's difficult to appreciate though in the gif below)
    ezgif.com-54b0092f08.gif

This was a major milestone in the road and, although there still are more optimizations concerns to attend, the asset can at least be used in a very reasonable way =D

I hope you now consider the possibility of using this asset instead ^^
    The attribute is a great suggestion, I'll try to make room for it. Also, aliases can already be set for commands.

With that said, I'll start the testing process in a few days.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    Deleted User likes this.
  18. twodave

twodave

Looks like a great asset, esp the 2.0 version.

Will 2.0 be a separate Asset Store purchase, or provided at a discounted/free upgrade to DevConsole 1.0 owners?

Thanks!

mons00n likes this.
  19. Cobo3

Cobo3

I was thinking on updating the main asset so that people who already purchased the asset don't have to pay again.

I'll probably keep the current DevConsole as a lite version of the asset, as I expect to add some of this features to the current state of the state if that makes sense.

mons00n likes this.
  20. ThriKreen

ThriKreen

Definitely looking forward to this! I picked it up to save myself the time for writing my own, and while the current doesn't do everything I was looking for, the upgrade definitely does. Mostly just the touch support - had to add in a "Submit" button for the time being. And it would be great if the auto completion list has touch support too.

It might be an idea to change the consoleKey to a list, so one could define multiple keys - particularly if one jumps between platforms frequently like I do. So one can have both Backquote and Menu, and not have to remember to change it when switching platforms.

Any plans to making the window adjustable in height?

I'd love to be able to test too.

21. Cobo3

Cobo3

I am starting the testing process just now. I hope to get as much feedback as possible.

The current state of DevConsole2 comes with all of the basic functionality, but there sure are some more bugs and inconsistencias with commands than those I have seen. I plan on releasing new versions to testers over the next few days or weeks.

I'd like to release the update to the public by the end of December, I still have to think about the price though.

If anyone is still interested in the testing, please, pm me

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  22. jweinhartSW

jweinhartSW

Any chance of 1.0 supporting AOT platforms? On WebGL (and other il2cpp platforms), we get:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NotSupportedException: C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\il2cpp\libil2cpp\icalls\mscorlib\System.Reflection\Assembly.cpp(538) : Unsupported internal call for IL2CPP:Assembly::GetManifestModuleInternal - "This icall is not supported by il2cpp."
    I thought that using the manual add (Console.AddCommand) would hopefully avoid the Assembly reflection, but it doesn't appear to.

23. Cobo3

Cobo3

I'll closely take a look at it and see how I can workaround it.

24. made_in_murica

made_in_murica

Very exciting development, when do you anticipate a release? I am looking at purchasing the DevConsole that is currently live, will the new one replace current DevConsole on the Asset Store and how much would the upgrade cost be?

25. Shinyclef

Shinyclef

I'm in the same boat as made_in_murica. Currently looking for a console, yours looked nice, but then saw a new version in the works. If I buy now, will I be paying twice...?

26. The_Arrival

The_Arrival

Hey,

since i found no support Thread for the old version i will ask you here:
    - first, i´d also like to know if there will be an upgrade option for DevConsole 1 customers
    - more important: I´m having a major problem with DevConsole 2.3 and Unity 5.5.0f3. I have about 5 commands currently defined. When ever i open the console and type something for the first time, my whole game freezes for about 3-4 seconds. Any idea whats happening here? It seems to freeze while building the previews.
    That did not happen with the old version and the old Command System

Worth to mention that it´s a pretty big project, so if DC is looking through the entire codebase for those [Command] Tags, it might be the reason for the freeze. Mabe it´s wrth to let users reference classes with DC Commands and only look up them.

27. The_Arrival

The_Arrival

Still no answer, still having freezes. If only i could roll back to the old version, which was more lightweight and had no performance issues. I understand that you might rather work on DC2, but since you refactored DC1 it would be great to support it until it´s stable.

28. greengremline

greengremline

Hey, just curious to see if we are close to a release!

29. slimshader

slimshader

Hey, I just bought DevConsole being sure that it will be the new and cool version as its 2.4.1 from February, even docs say that commands have been upgraded to DevConsole2 but it certainly does not look like v2. What is going on?

30. lukasdragon

lukasdragon

if I buy the current asset on the asset store will I have to repurchase v2?

31. davenirline

davenirline

Do you still need a tester?

32. ZorbaTHut

ZorbaTHut

Have you actually removed functionality from the latest version of DevConsole? The "group" field has vanished and I see no way to reproduce its effects.

33. slimshader

slimshader

Hey guys, since this seems to be dead end (and I bought it only because I though v2 was already out), I'd like to point you to this awesome (free) asset:

https://github.com/hecomi/uREPL

34. Afropenguinn

Afropenguinn

Is this still an ongoing project? It looks very promising.

35. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

Is this asset still under development or abandoned? I assume version 1.x is not going to see any updates.

36. Cobo3

Cobo3

Back again on track guys!

I'm really sorry about the delay, but now I'm proud to present DevConsole 2 again as a fully operational asset, tested in several professional projects both on mobile and desktop platforms; and it will reach the Asset Store sometime within next week.

All the people who helped me during the last testers request will get a free voucher for this Asset.
    Also, this will come as a free upgrade for users who already bought the current version.

ZhavShaw, mons00n, Player7 and 2 others like this.
  37. ZhavShaw

ZhavShaw

I've been actively using DevConsole since my purchase a few years back, so this is absolutely wonderful news!

38. Cobo3

Cobo3

In the meantime, I uploaded a Tutorial project you can try right now at http://devconsole.sickdev.com/

Disclaimer: WebGL builds run slightly slower than Desktop/Mobile builds due to lack of support for multithreading

kdbguy and mons00n like this.
  39. SpyrosUn

SpyrosUn

Can't wait to use this ! Have the old version and would love to see the new changes :) Should we expect it in a few days or so ? :cool:

40. Roundaround

Roundaround

Just a friendly bump...hopefully this will be released soon? I started on a new project recently and I'd like to use v2 from the start instead of implementing with v1 and having to convert later.

41. Cobo3

Cobo3

The asset is currently pending review, so expect it in a few days!
    Remember that you can already try out the tutorial!

42. Roundaround

Roundaround

Aha! Looks like it's actually already through. Thanks for this!

43. mons00n

mons00n

Thanks for this update it's looking really good. I can't wait to get home and replace v1

44. Cobo3

Cobo3

It's already available here!

I hope you enjoy it.

45. AndreasO

AndreasO

Hey,

I've just played around for an hour with this plugin but it just works as expected. :)

What I'd really like to see as a future update is support for enum auto-completion. Custom enums do work as parameters but those values have to be entered carefully so they exactly match the (case-sensitive) spelling.

Anyway, thanks for this nice plug & play asset. :)

46. Cobo3

Cobo3

That feature is defenitely on the roadmap. I'll try to have it done asap

47. XCVG

XCVG

Is there a way to make the exception stacktrace propagate to the console, or is it a bug that it currently isn't? Right now when an exception is thrown in a command invocation, the displayed stacktrace stops at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke, and it doesn't appear in the Unity console either.

48. greengremline

greengremline

Looks great and works a ton faster, really excited to have upgraded to it! If I can, I would recommend adding some events to subscribe to for when the console opens and closes as this makes it easy to plug this in to existing UIs.

Hhere is how I did it in DevConsole.cs:
    upload_2018-6-3_18-10-50.png

upload_2018-6-3_18-11-3.png

deab likes this.
  49. Cobo3

Cobo3

Awesome @zornor90! I'll make sure to add that to the next patch

50. mons00n

mons00n

Asset is working great so far! One thing that is starting to bug me however is how pressing enter does the autocomplete. A lot of the times I am typing a small command and when I end up having to hit enter twice to execute it. The first time does the auto complete (even though I have the full command typed) and the second does the actual execution. I would be fine with auto complete only working when hitting tab or some other user-defined key.