Search Unity

[RELEASED] Modular Dungeon Pack w/PBR Substance

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Adventure-Forge-Studio, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

Hello

This package aims for AAA visuals combined with ease of use and speedy level creation by using substances for PBR texturing and a strict technical approach in the construction of the 3D models. This lets you simply drag and drop parts you want to use into the scene and using Unity's snap function making precision placement so that every subsequent piece fits perfectly.

Contained in this package is 250+ prefabs of variations on walls, pillars, doors, stairs, floors and ceiling, with a few clutter pieces to get started with. The main level geometry is textured using substances that support up to 2K maps, with clutter pieces and doors having their own texture sets made in substance painter to keep the texture quality consistent.

!!!---See important notes below for details regarding using this package in Unity 2018.x, or if your are a Mac user.---!!!

Try before you buy
    If you are interested in trying before you buy, then you can download a simple pc demo from the link below.
    Link to demo

Bonus Content
    Our Dungeon Trap Pack is included for free in this package as bonus content. It is a package containing 10 unique medieval fantasy inspired traps and 2 triggers. Perfect for creating hazards for your players to overcome. All animated and texture ranging from 512px up to 2k pbr textures.

Available over on Unity's Asset Store.
    Linky to store page

Got questions and don't want to use the forum? Join us on Discord.

MDP_Dungeon_Screen_15.jpg MDP_Dungeon_Screen_11.jpg MDP_Dungeon_Screen_04.jpg MDP_Dungeon_Screen_01.jpg

!!!---IMPORTANT NOTES---!!!

• UNITY 2018 USERS

• As of Unity 2018_1, Unity no longer supports Substances right out of the box. Allegorithmic, the creators of Substance, have made a new plugin that can be found HERE. We've updated our package to support the new plugin, and the current Unity 2018.1 build of the package use Substance In Unity 2.0.1. For users that have not upgraded to Unity 2018, everything should be as normal.
      • Due to changes in the substance plugin, the order in which you import the plugin and our package changes between versions. With version 2.0.1 you would have to import the plugin first, then our package. While at version 2.1.0 you need to import our package first, then delete the plugin folder that Unity creates, before importing the Substance plugin for everything to be linked correctly. There will be error messages in the console, but this can be cleared out once the import is completed.
    Mac OS users

• At present there have been reported issues using substances with the 2.0.1 version of the plugin on Mac OS. Allegorithmic has been made aware of this and is working on it. It is unfortunately out of our hands, but have updated the package to include duplicates of all prefabs that use pre-baked textures instead of the regular substance material.

Version History

v1.4.1
    • Duplicated all prefabs, and applied non-substance materials with pre-baked textures to these prefabs.
      This was made to make sure that those who still have issues with the Allegorithmic substance plugin has something to work with, without having to re-apply all the materials to all prefabs.
      These prefabs also got their naming convention updated to make it more coherent with the package as a whole. The old substance prefabs have not had their naming convention changed, though this will be done at a later update.

v1.4

• Added support for Unity 2018.1 with its own uploaded version in response to Unity not supporting substances out of the box, and Allegorithmic releasing a Substance in Unity plugin. Users of Unity 2018.1 and onward must install this plugin before importing our package for it to properly work. Importing afterwards should work, but will give a lot of console errors.
    • Added a separate package folder with chain props, containing the chain props already in the package, as well as some new ones. This was done because we will be releasing the chain assets as a separate package, and users of our MDP should not have to buy that package just to get duplicates of assets they already have.
    Issues:

• There seems to be an issue with the new Allegorithmic substance plugin and Unity on Mac OS.

v1.3
    • Fixed substance producing white metallic texture instead of black for the non metallic surfaces.
    • Improved Substance performance.
    • Implemented new Height Based Ambient Occlusion into substance. Giving mutch better performance and better visual quality.
    • Implemented more customzation options into substance.
    • Re-orginized substance parameters to make it easier to work with.
    • Fixed error messages concerning animations not being set to legacy. These are now set up correctly and should no longer give console messages.
    • Added detail normal map to be used with stone materials. This needs to be applied manually to new substance materials as Substance Designer does not allow for this to be automatically applied to Unity Materials. Though we've applied it to the base materials.
    • Added prebaked textures and materials option that can be used in stead of using substances. These need to be manually applied to the prefabs as those are set up to use the substances out of the box.
    • Removed height map from StoneSlab and Stone substance, it is still on the StoneBricks substance. This was done' because it didn't look right with Unity's standard shader.
    • Fixed some materials that was wrongly applied.
    • Added 12 new decorative cutout chains

v1.2
    • Added the whole Dungeon Trap Pack($9.99 value) for free
    • Added Large Wood Beam
    • Added Cutout chains

v1.0
    • First Release

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    frbrz and StevenPicard like this.
  2. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Looks great!

3. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

Thank you :) It has been submitted to unity and is hopefully live within the end of the week. *fingers crossed*

4. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

Here are some more screen shots while we wait for Unity to finish going through the package approval process.

MDP_Dungeon_Screen_06.jpg MDP_Dungeon_Screen_14.jpg

5. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

6. magique

magique

This looks promising. I was just looking for a new dungeon pack because so many others I've purchased have had issues. So, naturally I have some concerns and questions.

First, I'm concerned about whether or not the modular pieces use texture atlasing and how many materials per prefab are used. In some packages like this the use of atlas textures is non-existent and sections sometimes use 5-8 materials. I want to keep draw calls down.

Second, scale is an issue. This sounds like a no-brainer, but I've purchased several assets like this that have a AAA look, but find that when I place my 3rd person character in it that he's dwarfed by ginormous doors and barrels. Have you put 3rd person characters in your demo scenes for size comparisons? Or measured doors and barrels using a ruler tool like zz ruler?

I'm also concerned with poly counts. Are these low poly assets or high poly? The last asset I asked about showed me scene stats with a dungeon that had millions of tris and I realized immediately it was unusable.

LODs are also nice so I'm curious about that as well.

Also, I'm not familiar with Substance so I don't know if I need a separate package to use substance materials. But what if I don't want to use Substance, are there standard shader variants or can they easily be converted to alternate shaders like Uber for example?

Thanks.

[EDIT]
    I forgot one thing. Is there any reason to believe this won't work on 5.4.2? Is 5.5 really necessary?

S4G4N likes this.
  7. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

Hi.

Thank you for considering our package.

Q 1, 5 & 6: This set does not use a texture atlas, as we use substances for all textures. You do not need any third party applications to use substances as it is supported natively by Unity. Substances are procedurally generated textures that gives the end user the ability to change the look of the textures produced, depending on how the substance was designed. There are 3 different substances in this package that we've composed ourselves. There is stone bricks, regular stone and stone slabs. You, as the end user, can adjust the look of these such as adding in moss in cracks, number of bricks, size and shape of the blocks and texture output size. This gives you a lot of control over the end result and the ability to make it look different from what some other end user might. You also have the option to adjust this at runtime or even program it so that it changes every time the player loads up a level. The end result is that the substance produces textures that are applied to a material, in this case Unity's standard shader.
    The material count can vary depending on how you build out your level and if you choose to have some parts share material, but out of the box it uses 6 materials all in all. As for going for Unity 5.5; it is simply because Unity broke substances in Unity 5.4(we originally aimed for unity 5.3 but as propper PBR wasn't in place until unity 5.4 we aim for that and found out unity broke it). They did fix it for Unity 5.5.

When it comes to scale we model everything in respect to what Unity considers 1meter, this is to avoid the issue that you mention. This set is however built for and tested in first person, and I did do a test with Unity's third person character and he does look rather small in what is designed to be a large medieval setting. That said, the 3rd person character is only 1.6 meters with the first person controller coming in at 1.8. I don't know if you think this is too large. The base wall height is 4 meters/4 unity cubes tall. I've taken some screencrabs to show.

Capture_0008.PNG
    Capture_0009.PNG

The polygon count ranges from single plane for walls (2 triangles) to the mostcomplex pillars that clock in at a little under 1000 triangles. We do not have any LODs in place atm. If that is something people want then we will consider implementing it. Though some geometry simply can't be reduced more. If they've showed you triangle counts from within Unity then that can be misleading as real time lighting adds to the number by a lot, another optimization option is to use occlusion culling as we've done in our demo scene that comes with this package.

All in all there are a lot of possibilities with this package to customize and get performance if used correctly. You can build up your own sections with the base blocks(walls, pillars, ceilings, floors) or you can build out with the large premade demo pieces that comes with it.

I hope I've answered your questions in good details and if you've got any other questions please do ask and I'll try to get at it asap :)

StevenPicard likes this.
  8. magique

magique

Thanks for the very detailed response, especially regarding substance. As far as scale goes, it seems to be fairly reasonable, but I'd have to see a bit more to know for sure.

The 5.5 hard requirement might be OK since I will most likely be going to 5.5 or even 5.6 for my final released product. I will definitely consider picking this up and "delve" into it deeper.

S4G4N likes this.
  9. magique

magique

Just a quick comment. This is very encouraging. This means it is well designed and very mobile/console friendly. Looks like a winner.

S4G4N likes this.
  10. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

Short video intro of the content int the package.

11. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

We'll be having a content update for this package very soon. Stay tuned ;)

12. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

Good news everyone!

The update is now live. In version 1.2 we've added our upcoming Dungeon Trap Pack for free into our Modular Dungeon Pack. So if you all ready own or are considering to purchase this package you'll get a $9.99 package for free :)

If however you'd rather just buy the Dungeon Trap Pack instead of the whole Modular Dungeon Pack, don't worry it'll be live as soon as Unity gets done with approving it as a standalone package.

See Sketchfab below to preview the new content.

Link to sketchfab collection with all Dungeon Trap Pack models

13. magique

magique

Just purchased this. I look forward to trying it out. Great work.

14. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

Thank you for purchasing our package :)

magique likes this.
  15. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

Unity has decided to include this package in its "Madness sale". Get it at 30% off today!

TeagansDad likes this.
  16. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Picked it up this morning... Along with a bunch of other stuff from my wish list. I had 103 notifications from the Madness Sale...

I'm looking forward to checking this out and seeing what I can build.

17. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

Thank you for your purchase. We do hope it is useful for you, and should you have questions feel free to send us an email at our support email address :)

18. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I was planning on buying this but it looks like today is the day! :D

19. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

20. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

21. rerwandi

rerwandi

I bought Realistic Effect Pack 4 and the VFX really push my adrenaline to make something cool on top of it!
    My head can't stop thinking about my next game using it and i found Ziggurat is a really interesting game.

As a hobbyist and solo developer, i use many assets from Assets Store to make my game and looking forward using your modular dungeon pack.
    video showcase or demo would be nice and help me decide buying your asset

22. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

What type of showcase video would you be interested in? How to use the pack or how it visually is walking through it in a first person view?

23. rerwandi

rerwandi

In first person view. Demo would be better for me to wander around checking the details and performance

24. steeloblk

steeloblk

I am assuming performance is good on Desktop? How is the performance on mobile?

Also, any walk through videos are demos to test ?

25. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

I'll take a look at whipping up a demo that can be downloaded and run on the pc.

26. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

Performance is good on desktop if you do some scene optimization like baking light and using occlusion culling to keep the rendered polygon count down.

I'll be looking into whipping up a demo that can be downloaded so that you can see how it performs on your hardware.

As for mobile performance, I actually don't know. This was developed for desktop in mind, though this is something I can look into after I'm done building the demo.

StevenPicard likes this.
  27. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

28. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

This pack is back on sale, after a 1 day hiatus! :)

Grab it before Unity puts it back to normal price! :eek:

29. RoyS

RoyS

The "Cam" of the Door Trigger script is not accepting the "FirstPersonCharacter".

30. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

Hi, the only reason why it shouldn't accept it is if you are dragging the parent node onto it. The "Cam" variable is set specifically to only accept camera objects. If you are dragging the child node, which is the camera, onto it and it doesn't allow you to then I am unsure of what could be the problem. I just opened up the project here and it dragged over to the inspector just fine. If the problem persists, let me know and I'll see if I can't write a new script that I can send you.

31. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

32. magique

magique

Finally upgrading my project to Unity 5.5 today and I'll be digging into this package and seeing how it looks and performs with all my content. I'm really looking forward to getting this up and running. This appears to be one of the best designed dungeon assets on the store.

33. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

Thank you. Hope you get a lot out of it :)

34. magique

magique

Is there an easy way to eliminate the Substance workflow and just use standard textures? I have nothing but problems with Substance textures in this asset. I was seeing issues where the same textures would show up brighter after baking lighting and when I analyzed it the issue was related to reflection probes. So I tried disabling reflection probes, but then these textures rendered mostly black after that. Then I saw that the Metallic maps were almost pure white for these textures and tried changing them. And while it seemed to help, the substances kept changing them back on their own. I would change one substance and it would be fine, but then when I changed a different one then the one that just worked would revert to the bad one. So I changed everything to UBER Standard Core, but after doing all that it somehow reverted itself back to Substances. And even when I had switched to UBER, it still showed all the procedural stuff tacked onto the shader. Anyway, the bottom line is that it was unusable for me. I think the package desperately needs a standard shader alternative without substances.

35. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

Hi. Sorry to hear that you are having problems with the substances. We are aware of the metallic map problem and are working on a version 2 of the substance that makes correct metallic values, as well as other behind the scene optimization to get it to perform better and have more customization. There are just a few tweaks left before it is ready to be sent in to unity as an Update.

As for the baking issues, when using substances(at least our substance) we've found that in the lighting tab the 'General GI' option needs to be set to 'Directional Specularity', at least in Unity 5.5.0p1 that we are using as base version. We've yet to find the reason for why it does not bake properly with the other lighting settings. (See comparison below)
    You also need to use reflection probes with this as well to get proper result.

[Directional Specularity Bake]
    Unity5_5_0p1_DirSpecLightingBake.PNG
    [Directional Bake]
    Unity5_5_0p1_DirLightingBake.PNG
    [Non Directional Bake]
    Unity5_5_0p1_NonDirLightingBake.PNG

When it comes to the shader all the substance does is create texture files that is then used by the standard shader within unity. As for not using the substances, it should be as simple(though tedious) as changing the materials on the prefabs. You can not however change the textures inside the material that the substance create, as those are linked and the substance will always try to revert back. All new materials needs to be created and applied to the prefabs, there isn't any fast way around this. Though if it is desired we could bake out example textures from Substance Designer and set up extra materials that could be applied instead of the materials that rely on the substance created textures, though these would normal bitmap files and not possible to customize within unity.

I hope I've answered your questions, if not then I would like to know more details about the problems and what you'd like changed, and I'll see what we can do for you :)

36. magique

magique

Thanks. That all helped a lot. I'll give this another try with all suggestions and see how it goes.

37. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

Please keep us updated :)

38. magique

magique

Definitely. I was ready to give up on the package, but was not happy about it because I was getting super great performance and that was very positive. Other dungeon assets I've used were very problematic performance-wise and this one was so promising. So, I look forward to getting it working as intended.

39. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

Small update coming soon.

We've updated the base substance with new customization options, improved the look and fixed the metallic texture bug where the metallic texture came out white instead of black(making the material count as metallic in the standard shader).

Here are a couple of screenshots of the new and improved brick substance and some variations that can be done with it.

Substance_v2_3__001.PNG Substance_v2_3__002.PNG Substance_v2_3__003.PNG Substance_v2_3__004.PNG

TeagansDad and magique like this.
  40. magique

magique

Excellent. I look forward to the update.

41. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

New Vs Old

v1VSv2_001.PNG

frbrz and magique like this.
  42. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

The update has been submitted to Unity, so unless they find any hidden issues with the update it'll hopefully be live in a couple of days :)

Here is the change log for those interested:

Fixed substance producing white metallic texture instead of black for the non metallic surfaces.
    Improved Substance performance.
    Implemented new Height Based Ambient Occlusion into substance. Giving mutch better performance and better visual quality.
    Implemented more customzation options into substance.
    Re-orginized substance parameters to make it easier to work with.
    Fixed error messages concerning animations not being set to legacy. These are now set up correctly and should no longer give console messages.
    Added detail normal map to be used with stone materials. This needs to be applied manually to new substance materials as Substance Designer does not allow for this to be automatically applied to Unity Materials. Though we've applied it to the base materials.
    Added prebaked textures and materials option that can be used in stead of using substances. These need to be manually applied to the prefabs as those are set up to use the substances out of the box.
    Removed height map from StoneSlab and Stone substance, it is still on the StoneBricks substance. This was done' because it didn't look right with Unity's standard shader.
    Fixed some materials that was wrongly applied.
    Added 12 new decorative cutout chains

Any feedback and input on the changes is always welcomed :)

magique likes this.
  43. magique

magique

The update just went live. I'll definitely be giving this a try. It looks like you addressed all my issues/concerns. Thanks so much for being so responsive and willing to make changes. :)

44. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Do the Stone floors and Walls come with Heightmaps? I am big fan of POM / Tesselation features so some displacement maps (where it is possible of course) would be pretty cool.

Since this Asset is using a lot of custom substance stuff I suppose it is not working with UBER Shader?

45. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

I hope it performs more the way you expect. Also I added a section in the readme regarding using the substance textures with other materials/shaders than the material the substance create. Short answer; create a new material(not with the substance), use the shader you want( like the UBER shader you are working with), and apply the textures found in the substance folder(this is where the generated textures are stored as ordinary bitmaps). I was only able to try it out on a separate(non-substance) material using the standard shader. But it seemed to work in a build, where the textures where generated at buildtime(not at load time). Would love to know if this approach works with the UBER shader too.

If there are other things, issues etc. please tell me and I'll get on it asap :)

magique likes this.
  46. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

At present the only material that has heightmap is the Bricks, the others where removed because they frankly looked ugly and seem like you had double vission when looking at them with Unity's standard shader and there was no way to completely turn it off in the substance. So we removed them from the Stone and Stone Slabs materials. My thought is to bring it back as separate materials later.

As I mentioned in my replay to magique, there is a way to use the substance generated textures in other materials. Though I have only been able to test this with Unity's Standard shader.

Though this is a bit cumbersome as these new materials needs to be applied to all the prefabs you want to use the new materials. But once it is set up(I used 20-30 minutes to re-apply new materials this time to all the prefabs using the search function), every time you change the substance, your custom materials with the UBER shader should also update. Though, again, this has not been tested with that shader. Hopefully magique will have some positive results with this update and can enlighten us with his findings :)

47. pccross

pccross

Was wondering if this pack will be included in the Unity Asset store sale starting May 1. Thanks!

48. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

Thank you for your interest. The Modular Dungeon Pack will be on the madness sale. I got confirmation from Unity that it will be discounted for anyone who is an active Plus or Pro subscriber.

49. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

Our Modular Dungeon Pack is now on sale! 30% off from 30/4 until 12/5.

And a correction from my previous post; to our surprise it seems Unity has made the sale available for everyone.

So get it while its hot!

:)

50. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio