Search Unity

Collider lines are way too thin!! 5.3 & 5.4 on mac!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by enhawk, Jul 29, 2016.

1. enhawk

enhawk

Seems like on the non-retina mac at least, the collider2d lines, debug lines & grid lines draw way too thin!

Green on white is practically invisible!!

Would be nice if these were 2px lines or we could change to something custom.

Colliders are selected in these images

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You're not required to use green on white. You're required to use green on something ;)—collider colors aren't customizable unfortunately—but you can change others in the preferences.

Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 1.37.32 AM.png

Lines on retina seem to be 1px still, which seems like it would be problematic regardless of color customizability.

--Eric

3. shawn

shawn

Unity Technologies

Just fyi, It's on our radar to make handles lines aware of dpi and likely customizably thicker.

BrainSlugs83 likes this.
  4. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

@shawn
    Is there an ETA for this?
    I get really thin lines in the Editor overall.
    Also, I am using a 2015 Macbook Pro (Retina).
    It's really hard to know whether or not you rotate objects on just one or all of the axes.

5. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

I'm on a 1080P Windows 10 PC and while the collider lines aren't a game-breaker, they sure are annoying sometimes. Apparently this is even worse on Mac, but it is annoying on Windows too:

Like here you can't even see the bottom collider lines. I wish there was a setting to change their thickness. Some people may like them thin, but really I'd like to be able to have super thick ones like:

While super-thick collider lines might not be for everyone, I sure would love them. So let us customize them :)

Shushustorm likes this.
  6. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

It's pretty sad:

screenshot.png

This image shows a Debug.DrawRay! It's barely visible. Even the bad camera lines are better.
    Had to upload at full quality or you wouldn't even see the line at all.
    I agree with @DroidifyDevs ! Line thickness should be customizable.
    How should anyone debug raycasting like that?
    You can hardly see the line in a still image. At runtime it's even worse to see what's going on.

7. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

Oh, and by the way you can't change the thickness of Debug.DrawRay either, so you're screwed on that one as well.

Shushustorm likes this.
  8. k76

k76

Hi Shawn, thanks for giving this some attention. I am having issues determining where the box collider is on a game object because I have a really high resolution. Are there any updates to this issue? Any timeline for a fix or temporary workaround? Thanks!

9. Klian

Klian

Same problem here.

Any update on this?

10. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

The way we currently draw gizmo lines doesn't support changing their thickness. There are plans to improve and unify the way we draw lines throughout the editor, based on the recent line rendering improvements done for particles and line renderers. Once we have this, then adjusting thickness will be straightforward. I don't have an ETA for that work, though.

SiliconAvatar likes this.
  11. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

As a short-term solution, could you draw multiple gizmo lines closely parallel to each other to give the illusion it's 1 thick line? Might not be the best code practice but it would would get the job done.

12. blockimperium

blockimperium

Any update on this? Students something struggle with this because they cannot select the gizmo and end up performing some other operation.

13. Chris45215

Chris45215

I am also interested in an update for this old issue. I need to provide screenshots of the editor screen for documentation and instructions, and the lines are barely visible - which is a problem when the documentation is specifically explaining the concept of colliders and the reader can barely see the collider. Without such an adjustment, my options are to either zoom out in the editor and crop the screenshot, or add additional meshes with custom shaders that draw lines at the edges and thus look exactly like the colliders except thicker, or to copy everything into a 3D editor like Blender or 3DStudio and add the lines by hand (or use a custom shader). These are not ideal solutions.

14. SiliconAvatar

SiliconAvatar

I basically can't see the collider lines on a modern screen.

Is there a fix?

15. latrodektus

latrodektus

Would love an update on this.

mygameskwame, reinfeldx and luoni0129 like this.