Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Collaborate projects freezing Unity

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by rsodre, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @cedavis! Is your project smaller than 2GB? If so, then could you submit a bug report (using either the above mentioned method or by going to Help->Report a Bug in the Editor) and let me know your bug number? I'd like to see if I can reproduce this issue. Also, does it lag any time your Internet goes down or just during startup?

2. Khazmadu

Khazmadu

I did try switching it off in the ProjectSettings.asset file but that didn't work to well. I could open the Project but only till I open the Service Window. If I open it Collaborate will turn on and unity isn't reacting anymore.

But anyway I did solve the problem by opening the Project on another machine and deactivated Collaborate there.

It's not limited to any Project. Even then I create a new empty project and activate Collaborate unity freezes.
    I'm almost certain the problem is either my Network Proxy or the Wirewall blocking unity.

Maybe that gives you an Idea what the problem might be. I will try to send a bug report in a few hours when I'm back on that PC.

3. therealloft

therealloft

i having the same issue. and worst of all i cant even get perforce working or plastic scm. maybe this is what insanity is like

4. EHG_Unity

EHG_Unity

We have a 20 person team that this is impacting heavily. When will this be fixed?

5. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

@Khazmadu @frednjknn @moxjet2002

Can all of you check if you're able to reach the following sites?

*.unity3d.com
    *.cloud.unity3d.com
    *.*.amazonaws.com
    *.pubnub.com

@frednjknn P4Merge is not a supported diff tool and Plastic SCM is a little bit clunky. Would you mind trying SourceGear DiffMerge, TkDiff, Apple File Merge, or WinMerge?

6. Khazmadu

Khazmadu

I can reach all those sites but there is something I noticed with pubnub.com
    I tried "ping pubnub.com" with the Command line (That worked fine for the other sites)
    But it doesn't work for pubnub. I need to use "ping www.pubnub.com" to get a answer from the server.

7. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thanks for checking all of them @Khazmadu! Would you mind trying our Network Reporting Tool and posting the generated report here? That will let us see just how well your network can connect to the different services that Collab uses.

8. Spazdude2

Spazdude2

I started a project and after working on it for a little bit, I decided to let a friend help... so when I tried the collab, it froze, deleted the assets, and made 2 copies of an empty project... but its even making my Windows PowerShell not work for Unity

9. Khazmadu

Khazmadu

I did use the Network Reporter and it looks like TCP is the problem.
    I think it's either blocked because the Proxy isn't used for the Connection or it's just blocked in general by the FIrewall.

Any workaround for that?

10. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thank you for trying the Network Reporter, @Khazmadu! Could you try the following?

1. Turn off your Proxy and run network reporter again.
    2. Post or DM me your entire network report.
    3. Would you mind telling me why you're using a Proxy?

11. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

12. Khazmadu

Khazmadu

I did send you an DM.

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  13. atuls_Technicolor

atuls_Technicolor

@Ryan-unity

I have the same issue, and I have to use the proxy because of the security and some other constraints. I need to make the colaborate work. However, when ever I enable it, even for an empty project it freezes unity. I have to kill the process and start unity again but the project will remain frozen unless I disable the network.

I am sure proxy server is causing the issue as it works if I disable the proxy. However, disabling the proxy server is not an option.

Please help!

14. Spazdude2

Spazdude2

I'm just gonna use GitHub for awhile, just until the whole collaborator is fully functional with minimal bugs

15. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

16. atuls_Technicolor

atuls_Technicolor

Hi

Hi @ryanc-unity our IT team was able to solve the issue. We had specific setting for the proxy server. However, unity was not using the proxy settings from the internet options. So now we have modified our setup where we do not nee to specify any proxy settings. Hence unity collaborate works now.

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  17. BourbonBristles

BourbonBristles

I too am having connection issues with collab in the latest version. I haven't been able to successfully push an "Initial commit" of the project yet. Whenever collab is active it essentially HALTS my internet connection and any other programs accessing the internet appear offline (Dropbox/Chrome/etc). After waiting awhile Unity itself starts to show connection errors and timeouts in the console. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. Thank you.

I have the report from Network Reporter I can send to a Unity rep as well.

macOS Sierra 10.12.5
    Project size ~2GB
    Unity v2017.1.0f3

18. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Jaha! I'm sorry you're running into issues. Would you mind messaging me your network reporter log? If you're still running into timeout errors then would you mind messaging me your Editor's logs too?

19. MonkeyKiki

MonkeyKiki

Hi,

I have the same problem with a global proxy I can't disable (my company choice).
    With proxy environment variables set, the editor works fine and I can import a Collab project but once the assets are synchronized, the editor freeze.
    I tried to disconnect the project from Collab with cloudServicesEnabled to 0 and reopen the project, but same result.
    I tried to archive the project and reopen the locally saved project on my computer and there was no freezing.
    I used the Network Reporter but it can't go through TCP connection step.

Any idea to use Collab with a proxy ? Thanks

20. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @MonkeyKiki!

If you're unable to adjust your proxy's settings then you could try the following commands:

(Windows) In the Command Prompt, enter: setx UNITY_NOPROXY localhost
    (Mac) In the Terminal, enter:
    export UNITY_NOPROXY=localhost
    echo $UNITY_NOPROXY

That should allow Unity to be excluded by your proxy. Can you give that a try and see if it unblocks you?

21. MonkeyKiki

MonkeyKiki

Hi @ryanc-unity,

Still the same with the environment variable added.

22. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

23. MonkeyKiki

MonkeyKiki

@ryanc-unity I don't have access to my proxy settings which is a company proxy. It can block other protocols than http and https so perhaps it is a problem here.

As you asked, I am using these settings :
    Code (JavaScript):
    1. set HTTP_PROXY=http://domain.com:port
    2. set HTTPS_PROXY=http://domain.com:port
    3. set UNITY_NOPROXY=localhost
    4. unity.exe
    And my firewall is set to let Unity pass through.

The strange thing is that every online functions from unity are working except when a project is connected to collab...

24. Samkh

Samkh

Hi , i had the same issue of freezing when i try to use collaborate , if i am working offline it's ok but when i try to connect it's freezing again ...
    project file more than 25Gb , fast internet connection , unity 5.6
    the only solution working for me (tested it 3 times ) is to let unity freezing until it's unlock by itself it took about 4-5 hours , there is a memory compression process working in the background check it to see if it's working or not .

25. MonkeyKiki

MonkeyKiki

Hi @Samkh,

I tried to let Unity work all night long but it is still frozen.
    Neither Unity.exe nor UnityHelper.exe seems to do something.

It seems that I can't use Collab so I am using Git the old way.
    Too bad :(

26. pedro_unity

pedro_unity

Hello @MonkeyKiki,

I am incredibly sorry you're running into these issues while using Collaborate and wanted to thank you for your assistance as it brings us closer to a permanent solution to your and other users similar issues.

The command line "set" does not persist once you've closed the command prompt window (terminal). Only "setx" remains permanently / persistently on Windows.

setx UNITY_NOPROXY localhost

or use environment variables to set it:

upload_2017-8-7_11-4-33.png

Thanks for using Collaborate and please accept my sincere excuses for this frustrating issue,

P.

27. MonkeyKiki

MonkeyKiki

Hello @pedro_unity

don't be sorry, I am just an enthusiast user not a professional ;).

I have tried the second solution before using set command and this configuration is still active in my environment.

28. LaireonGames

LaireonGames

I am about to give up with Collab as well which is a shame because I have pro so its all paid for. Final straw today was I couldn't open a project unless I logged off and on again for Windows, then I could open a project but would have to do it again if I tried to open another project. What I found, as others suggested also, that turning off my internet let me open projects again. Although annoyingly this issue, for me, also affect projects not linked to collab. I couldn't open anything.

Anyway Collab is also just not there in terms of features, it really shouldn't be out of beta. I can accept less features than established tools but there are basically none. If someone pushes a commit there is NO way for me to see what they did (specifically) unless I keep a local copy of my files before each update. All I can see is they changed a file and when, which to me means whoever wrote this in the marketing department Really needs told off:

"Get peace of mind about project history. Your project and a complete history of its changes are stored securely with Unity’s cloud storage."

This is not even close to true. Your selling this to, ok a lot of hobbyists, but also a lot of professional developers. You talk about history with source control as a selling point I expect at least a little history!! Telling me this team member changed this file on this day is 100% USELESS unless I can see exactly what they changed.

Rant over :p I like the idea and direction of Collab but its just not there yet.

29. LilGames

LilGames

You should try being specific about what you want. How can Unity listen and implement new features when you are being vague? For example, here I assume you want to be able to do a DIFF? If that's not what you want, please say so. Submit a Feedback and ask us to vote on it: https://feedback.unity3d.com/

30. LaireonGames

LaireonGames

There is no point in being specific when a broad scope of features is needed ;) If you use proper source control regularly you will know exactly what I mean. I'm not going to sit and list a long comparison of things other source control sites/tools can do that Collab currently cannot.

Unity will already be keenly aware of the features needed for Collab since they will no doubt be using other source control tools every day. Its not at the stage were I can say its great but I am missing feature X. There just are no features so sticking something on feedback feels pointless. Thus my point that it shouldn't be out of beta.

31. Harsh234

Harsh234

Hey Developers, Unity has been hanging and freezing my computer since the time I have downloaded it. Please Update the Unity Software and also Upgrade the graphics including Ultra-Photorealism in Unity.

32. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Harsh234! I'm sorry Unity has been freezing for you. Which version of Unity are you using? Can you check if you can access the following domains from your browser that Collab relies on to work?
    *.unity3d.com
    *.cloud.unity3d.com
    *.*.amazonaws.com
    *.pubnub.com
    If not and you're using a firewall then you may need to add rules to it to allow those connections through.

33. bbvrdev

bbvrdev

Hey Unity team,

We recently decided to give Collab a go again after a few months haitus while we waited for it to become more stable. Unfortunately, as of today, Collab locks up Unity on update. The message "Checking workspace has not changed" appears, then Unity stops responding to input. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Question: With the latest version of Unity/Collab (2017.2), we still have to diff scene changes through plain text, which is really difficult to work with. For example, how do I know which change to accept if one side is only identified as "m_02985293487502" and the other side is "m_2394570983475"? Are you guys planning to have a visual scene diff at some point, or perhaps some kind of human-readable descriptor? If not, I'm afraid we will have to return to using Git and just accepting either "mine" or "theirs", which is a huge bummer.

34. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @sandworm! For your "Checking workspace has not changed" error, try closing Unity and moving your Collab folder out of your project's Library folder and move it to your desktop. Then reopen your project. You should be able to publish your changes now.

As for your question about diffing scenes, yes, we are looking into a visual scene diff feature to help ease the process of resolving conflicts within scenes. In the meantime, it's highly recommended that teams coordinate with each other on when they plan to push changes to a scene.

One recommended process is to have a single master copy of a scene that everyone's changes get pushed to one at a time, while each person working on the scene makes a copy that they can work in separately until their changes are ready to merge. This is to help avoid situations where you might need to resolve scene conflicts, which is not a very intuitive process at the moment regardless of if you're using Collab or a different source control option.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

35. sdebieve

sdebieve

Hi,

We have Unity 5.6.3p2 (64-bit) ver. and we have the same issue.
    We try all tricks we find of this topic and unity always freeze with collab behind proxy.

*.unity3d.com
    *.cloud.unity3d.com
    *.*.amazonaws.com
    *.pubnub.com

are full fonctionnal in my IE browser.
    We haven't firewall but we have a proxy.
    Behind a personal network connection (my home for example), Unity don't freeze with collab enabled.

Any ideas?

36. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @sdebieve! I'm sorry that you're running into this issue. Would you be willing to upgrade to 2017.1? We updated our framework in 2017.1 to remove freezes when Collab is unable to connect reliably. I'm afraid that Collab is still only a beta feature in 5.6. But if you update to 2017.1 then you should no longer experience Unity freezing on you when you turn on Collab. Please let us know if you're still experiencing issues.

37. JuanMaldonado

JuanMaldonado

Hi @ryanc-unity,
    I'm having some issues when submitting changes to collaborate in 2017.2. Last week it was working just fine and now I can't push any changes, it gets stuck at 0%. My teammates are using the same network as me and they are able to push changes successfully. Also I have this annoying bug that freezes the editor when quitting and forces me to end the Unity process, I think these issues are connected somehow as they both started recently.

Please help!

38. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @JuanMaldonado! That's definitely not good. Let me see if I can help get you unblocked. Could you try deleting your Packages folder? You can find it here:
    (Mac) <username>\Library\Unity\Packages
    (Windows) <username>\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Packages
    Then close and reopen Unity and try to publish again.

39. JuanMaldonado

JuanMaldonado

It just magically worked!!! And the editor quit freeze is gone for now. :D Did you change anything on your end?

I've been trying to push my changes all afternoon, trying a bunch off things with no success. Also restarted my computer at least 5 times and after a full shutdown it worked. It doesn't make any sense.

I didn't get to delete the Packages folder as you said, so I think that shouldn't be the issue, unless this folder is regenerated after a shutdown.

This whole issue also happened to me 2 days ago so I tried again on the next day and it worked. It looks like shutting down my computer helps somehow. Any ideas?

40. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

@JuanMaldonado That's great to hear! In general, restarting your computer can help resolve some network issues, which I feel might have been the case in this instance. Definitely let us know if you find yourself running into this issue again.

41. flapy-monkey

flapy-monkey

I got the same problem here, in some case of my projects that use collab will freeze and others fine, problem project about 2G size big, when it freeze, I have to leave it about 5min and It turn to fluent, so I think if your project is too big or your internet server is too bad, this problem will be with you.
    please fix it up soon.

42. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @flapy-monkey! I'm sorry to hear you're running into this issue. Have you tried checking if your firewall is interfering with your connection to Collab? Could you also try running our Network Reporting Tool and sending me in a DM your report file that's copied to your Desktop? It could help us to see if there's anything interfering with your connection.

43. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi, that was the best tip ever ..... even a year later ! Collab freezes my project totally. Only with your tip i git it back running. Thanks so much.

44. CRYWOLF86

CRYWOLF86

2019 and collab freeze is still a huge development roadblock. For how few features collab has, it should be more stable. smh. Do you guys have any plans to fix this, or should I just switch to github now?

themeshpotato likes this.
  45. HaakonL

HaakonL

You should switch to github. It's a huge relieve to have a version control that just works - all the time. And it feels great to remove the Collab package from the Package Manager, what a sh#tty product.

CRYWOLF86 likes this.
  46. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @CRYWOLF86, I assume you were using 2019.1 for testing. Can you open the Package Manager and tell me which version of Collaborate you've been using? v2.0.0-preview.8 aims to remove the checking for changes and other random freezes that some user were experiencing with Collab, with a new version being tested right now that will aim to work even better for larger projects. Could you give v2.0 of Collab a try and see if you're still experiencing these freezes?

47. whiskers434

whiskers434

Update to v2.0.0-preview.8 from the old verified version, on unity 2018.4, very large old project

old collab version had terrible collab performance issues

new version has removed "checking changes...", great but now doesn't see changes for a while after start up?

my first commit after updating left collab state as files to commit so I committed same files twice?

48. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thanks for giving v2.0.0-preview.8 a try! We're aware of the issue where it takes a long time for Collab to start picking up changes after start up. We've been working on a slightly redesigned workflow for v2.0 that should make it much easier to use with larger projects. It's in the middle of testing now but we'll be updating people soon on when it's ready to go.

49. CRYWOLF86

CRYWOLF86

I updated to 2019.1 as a last ditch effort to stop Unity from freezing. The problems was not the checking for changes window, which was really just a major annoyance. The project would freeze after momentarily working and would not recover. For some people on my team it would crash. I've removed collab awhile ago and don't remember which version (might have been 1.2.15). Removing collab fixed the problem. Had to start the editor offline just to have enough time to open the package manager to remove it.

We've switched to different version control for the time being. Might check out collab 2 when a stable version comes out.

themeshpotato likes this.
  50. DBarlok

DBarlok

Collab Freezing Unity until i disabled it. Was not happening. Started suddenly. Why???