Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Collaborate Project Folder Windows Operations Slow: Copy, Delete, etc

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by AdamKane, Mar 20, 2017.

1. AdamKane

AdamKane

I'm noticing that Windows Explorer file operations (copy, delete, move), are very slow for my medium sized collaborate projects (~1GB of assets).

For example, to copy the project took ~20 minutes. For example, when more than half complete, still 15 mins to go:

(I'm on a pretty burly machine, so that shouldn't be the issue).

It appear the source of the problem might be tens of thousands of small .bin files?

One of the use cases where this pops up:
    1. I'm a developer who needs to nuke project in order to do a full fresh checkout (for example, an resolvable merge conflict).
    2. I delete project locally.
    3. Wait 20 minutes.
    4. Re-download fresh copy. (Which is fast, but whole process end-to-end is slow).

2. Kyuugatsu

Kyuugatsu

Unity Technologies

Could you clarify at which step in your given use case the manual explorer operations come in?

In general, the latency of operations performed outside of Unity should not be affected by Collab.

3. AdamKane

AdamKane

It's not that Collaborate is directly slowing Windows operations down. Instead, a side effect of the tens of thousands of small .bin files created locally by Collaborate slows Windows operations down.

For example, Unity is closed, and I delete a Collaborate project. Windows takes a very long time because there are so many files.

4. Kyuugatsu

Kyuugatsu

Unity Technologies

AdamKane likes this.