Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

CityLife MORPG

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JamesPro, Jun 15, 2014.

1. JamesPro

JamesPro

I've seen alot of mods that allows you to Role Play as a Person in a Virtual City. Dark RP for GMod, Altis Life for Arma 3 and CityLife RPG for Arma 2 are a few that comes to mind. I haven't seen any good stand alone games out there of this type however. They are all Mods for existing games. So I present to you CityLife MORPG a Lobby Based user hosted Virtual City Simulator.

When you first start a new Character on a City Life Server you will be asked to Give your Character's First and Last Name and pick a Main Job/Occupation from an extensive List of Jobs available. You will then be spawned in the City Center and will be free to start your Journey through City Life. Through out your time playing you will be able to pick 2 more minor Jobs from the list. This allows you to shape your Character's story. You could be a Gang Leader (Gang Leader) who does illicit activities out of your Restaurant (Restaurant Owner) where you are the master chef (Master Chef). In the example I listed 3 possible Jobs you could pick from. The List of Jobs will be extensive and will include everything a city would need to keep running.

Each City Life Server keeps track of it's own User data. You will be able to create different characters on different servers and play out your life differently on each one.

City Life is Power by Unity3D, UniVerse MMO Framework (My custom MMO Framework), UniStream Asset Streaming (My Custom Asset Streaming System), and uses a highly customized version of a FPS Kit from ArmedUnity.com.

Server Admins have the ability to customize their Servers. Adding new Items, Weapons, Jobs, even a whole new Map if they wanted to be that involved with their Server. Server admins will also have the ability to turn on Perma Death where Players will have to recreate a new Character every time they die (Disabled by default).

Here is a Screenshot of the UniVerse Lobby Server:

I just bought hosting for the Lobby Server yesterday and got it all setup. I'll be releasing the City Life Server very soon and the first version of the Client will be released at the same time or shortly after!

2. mathias234

mathias234

sounds cool :D

3. john55223

john55223

This is great! I wanted to make something similar, but I don't have the knowledge with networking to do so. Kudos! :D Cannot wait to play.

4. Terminator75

Terminator75

Looks promising indeed! How about some screenshots of the city itself and some gameplay vids? (or is it too soon?)
    Anyways good luck to you and your game!

5. JamesPro

JamesPro

Thanks guys.

Terminator75 - it's still too early for Game Play videos. The Current Prototype Map is the Demo Scene that comes with City Slum Building Pack from the Asset Store. I wanted to focus on Game Play and programming at the present time rather then Map Building. There are several Modular City Construction packs that I would love to purchase from the Asset Store once I have the money.

Server Admins will also be able to create their own maps so different Servers more then likely will have different maps.

6. JamesPro

JamesPro

If anyone can point out some Modular City Construction sets on the Asset Store I would greatly appreciate it! I need some with Building Interiors as well.

More then likely what I'll end up doing is getting a Playable Game Released, get people playing it and hosting the Servers and then I'll put up a KickStarter to raise the needed funds for all of the City Assets I want to buy for creating maps with. The Goal prob. would be the cost of the most expensive asset Pack and then each stretch goal would go from most expensive to least expensive for the rest of them. I'd post links to the asset Store page for each asset pack along with Video if there is any available and screenshots so Contributors could see exactly what was going to be bought with the KickStarter Money.

7. JamesPro

JamesPro

Here is a screenshot of Character Creation in City Life. At some point I'll add in UMA and a 3rd person perspective but until then Character Creation is very basic. All of the Occupations you see there are currently on my Server and the Client is getting them from the Server. So I can add as many more as I want to the Server and they will all end up there on the Character Customization Screen.

8. mathias234

mathias234

Looks good

9. Luke3671

Luke3671

Any links?

10. Dentych

Dentych

This looks cool! Looking forward to trying it :D

11. Kman43759

Kman43759

CRAP!! I was making a game like this before I even stumbled onto this for the same reason as you are :/
    What do you plan to do with your game when its done?

12. JamesPro

JamesPro

This was one of a couple Demo Games I was making to show off my Networking Framework. At some point I may finish it but it's not high on my list of things to do right now.

13. Sergiuszwil

Sergiuszwil

So are you still doing the project or you just forgot about it...
    I really love the idea as Darkrp is in Gmod and Citylife is in Arma but it does not feel the same as SL. You roleplay as jobs ect. Please reply to this if able Thanks.

14. lgood2020

lgood2020

Maybe I'm 4 years too late but...

I'm working on a roleplay framework at the moment. I'm either going to make the game open source or make it so you can host servers and host your own content from there. It will probably be open source since I have no idea on how to serve addons/resources from say the steam workshop into a unity game (if anyone is willing to help it's greatly appreciated.)

Also, note that the project will be released as free nevertheless, but users would have the option to contribute to the project. (If you wanted to give the devs some coffee, for example, you could donate $1; even though this would not grant you any special privileges)