Search Unity

Cinematic Image Effects (Pre Release) package

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by willgoldstone, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

I'm guessing you are rendering the cameras on top of one another and the effect is on the second rendered camera? In this set up this is expected as you are rendering (and blending) into the same texture. If you want to just apply the AA to the second layer you need to render it separate (to a different render texture), apply AA, then blend it back onto the scene using premultiplied alpha. It's not a simple process, and not something that is normally done.

Martin_H likes this.
  2. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

BitBucket has been updated. Moved effects from alpha / beta into release + submitted asset store package (will take a day or two to be approved). Current code works on unity 5.3 and 5.4 :)

hopeful likes this.
  3. cAyouMontreal

cAyouMontreal

It's funny that you have to wait the approval from the asset store, even if you are working at UT :D

Acissathar likes this.
  4. Martin_H

Martin_H

I was more surprised how short the projected approval time is, that already seems like the "fast lane" compared to what other asset publishers report ^^.

5. elbows

elbows

Updates for quite a lot of non-Unity assets I own come through quite quickly sometimes.

Martin_H likes this.
  6. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Note: The version of Bloom and AO on BitBucket should now support single pass stereo properly :)

Kronnect, stevenwanhk and elbows like this.
  7. stevenwanhk

stevenwanhk

I am sorry, still cannot figure out a perfect solution. It is almost impossible to have no transparent texture in a game, at least I need some for particles. The current way I use is using another camera for particles putting in another layer, but still there is depth problem. Any way to ask AO ignoring certain gameobject or material? Thanks,

8. BlueBudgie1

BlueBudgie1

Could you include a tiny example scene displaying all the effects?
    I am quite new to Unity and still figuring out how you do things. You would probably need like half an hour for a very basic scene, but I try and try and try and try and ...

...I found a sample scene in the bitbucket download. The assetstore pack does not have one.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  9. Player7

Player7

hmm any tutorial on doing this? I don't mind it being complicated so long as the end result and performance doing it isn't bad... I'm getting the feeling the performance would suck to have any decent screen resolution and quality out of this rendertexture method?

AO- zero settings for falloff distance cutoff near or far with fade radius.. really should be settings for that included for tuning an effect like this, and both those options are in Unreal and Cryengine for built in AO.

AA- the debug passes completely flip the image upside down... not useful if it does that really.

10. olavrv

olavrv

Is it possible to get SSR reflections in transparent materials such as glass? It would be nice to avoid reflection probes in addition to SSR.

11. BlueBudgie1

BlueBudgie1

I would also love to see the SSR working on transparent materials for ocean/water. Right now, when I switch the reflection cube in the sample scene to transparent shader, all image effects from the pack disappear.
    This pack here manages SSR on transparent materials.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/15152

12. olavrv

olavrv

Have you tried this asset, and if so how is performance and quality compared to cinematic image effects' SSR? Also, do you know if it works in latest version of Unity? (saw that their latest update was one year ago)

13. BlueBudgie1

BlueBudgie1

Regarding the assetstore SSR Pack, I have not tried myself yet, but Ceto support was so friendly and tried after Plawius from the assetstore SSR donated a free key for experimenting. It works on SSR, that's the good news. However Ceto support was saying it was not working so well, but mainly due to overall limitations of SSR on large scenes. The attached screenshot is what Ceto support managed to get out. Maybe with more tweaking and trying it works.

Attached Files:

olavrv likes this.
  14. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

Are mobile and console optimizations planned? (Or is it even optimized already?)

15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

But you need reflection probes with SSR or you never get anything from offscreen, and it looks odd.

olavrv likes this.
  16. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

Any ETA when AA and tonemapping / color grading will support single pass stereo?

17. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

TAA will be a while (we need to do motion vectors changing) but I'll try and get someone to do it this week.

SunnySunshine likes this.
  18. Erind

Erind

can you add ssil to the ssao as an option

19. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Hi @Tim-C Just curious what happened with they stylistic - fog image effect, i mean the status are still in alpha.
    Is it practically production ready?

20. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

How close are we to a final release?

21. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

It's usable, but there is work still to go. When we think it's production ready it will be merged.

22. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

The effects are production ready. We have been using them for internal productions for a long time.

23. PeterB

PeterB

Will you ever combine them into one stack (except ofc AA), as is customary in the trade to achieve better rendering speed?

24. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Ah okay, it just i would like to modify it with some simple atmospheric scattering (without shadowing). Except if that is already in the plan for stylistic fog :p.
    Regarding of fog is it support transparent objects?

25. remoteplayfreak

remoteplayfreak

I'd also love to know this! So far this is the only real drawback for me. In a scene with lots of glass in it, it kind of hinders the immersion because the non-ssr glass objects look out of place.

26. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Very likely ;)

PeterB and Reanimate_L like this.
  27. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

It is not. The way SSR works is that it uses the deferred G-buffer to raytrace and recalculate lighting. Transparent objects are not in the G-Buffer. Because of this they are not seen as a target or receiver by SSR.

28. MZA_code

MZA_code

It does not work with the new beta 5.5.0b1
    (Missing shader....)

29. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Guessing the error you are getting is in SSR shader somehing about ndotl. You can delete that line from the shader and things should work again. It was mean to be in the upgrade guide (which seems to not have been published).
    Rumour is that the field will be readded in either b2 or b3 to stop this backwards breaking madness. Even though it won't be used.

Shizola likes this.
  30. MZA_code

MZA_code

yep, sorry, SSR shader.
    Now it's work, thank you :)

31. Absinthe23

Absinthe23

Can anyone tell me how to access the gamma property of TonemappingColorGrading from another script? Can't quite get my head around it. I want to change the gamma programmatically with a UI slider. Something like 'MyTonemappingColorGradingVariable.colorGrading.basics.gamma = 0.5f;' fails because colorGrading is not a variable.

32. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

Code (CSharp):
    1. GetComponent<TonemappingColorGrading>().m_ColorGrading.basics.gamma
    ...but you will need to make m_ColorGrading public.

33. Absinthe23

Absinthe23

Works great, thanks.

34. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

ahh you don't want to do that it breaks encapsulation.

You want to go:
    Code (csharp):
    2. var cg = GetComponent<TonemappingColorGrading>().colorGrading;
    3. cg.basics.gamma = 0.05f;
    4. GetComponent<TonemappingColorGrading>().colorGrading = cg;
    yay for struct semantics to avoid the GC.

LukaKotar likes this.
  35. BlueBudgie1

BlueBudgie1

It is absolutely possible to have SSR on transparent sufaces by shader modification. The post #565 above uses SSR on an transparent ocean surface. Would be great if Unity did this as well in their SSR pack.
    The SSR pack used in the above screenshot in post #565 is this one here https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/15152

Also many games do it (GTA5, AC4,...). So from a 'management' point of view I can not accept this answer when there is obviously a way to do it! Meeting adjourned ;)

36. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

looking at that image it's rendering the ocean into the opaque queue. I'm also not familiar with how their ssr works. do you have a renderdoc capture of this scene? Anyway, when you have water like this you should not use ssr, you should use planer reflections.

37. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

will we get a proper planar reflection effect soonish?

StaffanEk likes this.
  38. Erind

Erind

planar reflection are supported by the unity standard water asset if im not wrong

39. rsodre

rsodre

I still miss some brief documentation on using the effects.
    At least requirements, limitations and platform/hardware compatibility for each one.

Martin_H likes this.
  40. BlueBudgie1

BlueBudgie1

Yes, you are right. I did not see this. It is in the opaque queue. I have not done it myself, Justin from CETO Ocean tried the SSR pack after the SSR package creator was kind enough to donate one pack for experimenting.

41. Kolyasisan

Kolyasisan

Just tested out Lens Dirt effect that was implemented in bloom recently. It's really gorgeous. Good job!

42. Martin_H

Martin_H

How does it compare to Scion in performance and look?

43. Kolyasisan

Kolyasisan

I think it's better in Cinematic Bloom. I think it's much more prettier due to the "soft knee".

44. Martin_H

Martin_H

If that's the case, and in the future they also combine all into one asset for optimized performance, I guess this might possibly make Scion and other similar packages obsolete.
    I'll need to give it a try myself some time. Thanks for your thoughts on this.

45. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Trying to use the DOF effect in a test scene and its not working correctly, part of an object is being blurred correctly but other parts arn't, I've attached two grabs showing the problem and with the DOF visualize option on, can anyone help as to why the middle part of the object is not blurred correctly?
    dofissue.jpg dofissue1.jpg

46. Invizx3

Invizx3

TАA works only with standard shader?
    All objects with non-standard shaders have jitter effect.
    Can I fix it?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    Vagabond_ likes this.
  47. Martin_H

Martin_H

All objects with non-standard or all transparent objects? I suspect that with transparent shaders there's a technical limitation that makes TAA unviable, I've noticed the problem as well, on line-renderers.

48. Absinthe23

Absinthe23

I'm off for several months to read up on C# encapsulation... :)

49. CG_Echtzeitschmiede

CG_Echtzeitschmiede

Edited in order not to confuse anyone.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    Talhayousuf likes this.
  50. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Do you have an actual before and after, since it's basically the same technique - so is there a bug that needs to be reported?

Obviously, given it's been updated, you'll need to check the settings are the same. Probably they aren't.

Talhayousuf likes this.