Search Unity

Cinematic Image Effects (Pre Release) package

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by willgoldstone, Dec 8, 2015.

1. pleribus77

pleribus77

Hi Tim,

Thought I'd try TAA on a Vive headset, not getting quite as good results seen in video, particularly with the horizontal and vertical lines - wanted to check how to use:

Do I:

1) Using Antialiasing component set to SMAA, check the Temporal (Experimental) box?

2) Use Temporal Anti Alias as a camera effect component instead?

2. Zireael07

Zireael07

I think you do 2), the experimental box on SMAA does something else IIRC.

3. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

is cinematic bloom not working in webGL? i'm getting weird huge glow in webGL

4. dan-kroymann

dan-kroymann

I just discovered that in the latest beta builds of Unity, the LUT feature of the Tonemapping Color Grading effect seems to be busted and causes really bad visual artifacts in standalone builds (it does not repro in editor). The effect was working fine in 5.4.0b17, but after an upgrade to 5.4.0b25 it now causes bad artifacts. For reference, here's what it looked like in beta 17:
    b17.JPG

And here's what it looks like now in beta 25:
    b25.JPG

5. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

That does not seem good at all. We'll look into it. What platform are you deploying to?

6. Arowx

Arowx

It looks like particles are not reflected (5.4RC1).

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Are any transparent shaders reflected? would have thought they'd need depth...

8. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

and gbuffer.

9. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

It seems like there's a regression with Quality Settings. If you go to Edit -> Project Settings -> Quality and set Anisotropic Textures to Disabled or Per Texture that should fix it until we push a fix. The Forced On setting is applied to everything, even to textures it shouldn't.

Teejay5 likes this.
  10. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Transparencies are neve reflected as they are not in the g-buffer

11. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi tim,
    it looks like custom surface shaders break ambient occlusion based on gbuffer.

from left to right:
    1. custom surface shader (the one you get if you choose: create shader -> standard surface shader):
      ao is pretty noisy (hard to see on a retina display so i zoomed in)
    2. standard shader:
      nice and smooth ao.
    3. custom surface shader using a custom lighting function which normalizes s.Normal before it gets written to the gbuffer:
      nice and smooth ao.

Bildschirmfoto 2016-07-18 um 20.00.39.png

so it is pretty obvious that the artifacts which show up on the left model are caused by an "old" bug in the surface shader compiler which unlike the standard shader does not normalize s.Normal or o.Normal …

bug filed under 815131

i hope you can make some pressure to get that nasty bug fixed :)
    lars

Martin_H likes this.
  12. stevenwanhk

stevenwanhk

The FPS drops from 70 to 10 after I upgraded Unity from 5.3.5f1 to 5.4.0f1 when I use Ambient Occlusion
    And Ambient Occlusion does not work with Particles\AlphaBlend shader in both version
    I am using HTC Vive with OpenVR

13. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Hi, this isn't one our team looks at (as it's to do with the standard shader, not the image effect itself). I've made sure the right team knows about it. We might be able to add a workaround into the AO though :)

14. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

AO only works on opaque objects not transparent objects.

I need more information about your performance issue.

15. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

thanks.
    i think i t should be fixed in the code generated by the surface shader compiler as lighting is effected as well.

16. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

I agree, but a workaround in AO until then is also nice ;)

Martin_H likes this.
  17. stevenwanhk

stevenwanhk

Any workaround if I want to use particle system with alpha blend shader?

For performance issue,
    This is the statistic and profiler for 5.4.0b24 (pic 1 and 2) and 5.3.5f1 (pic 3 and 4), you can see the fps drops from 63 to 15, they open the same project

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      62.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      200.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      11 KB
      Views:
    • 4.png
      4.png
      File size:
      197.5 KB
      Views:
  18. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

looks like something in vr is taking longer. Are you using any different settings than you were compared to 5.3 (single pass stereo vs not). I don't know much about VR but this seems weird.

Nope. Transparent objects don't write to the depth buffer, so we can't put AO on them. This is a limitation of AO.

19. stevenwanhk

stevenwanhk

I directly copy the project folder and open with Unity 5.4 after installation and did not change any setting. Or does 5.4 have new setting that 5.3 does not have?
    Thanks.

20. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

5.4 has new settings buy you have to enable them. Can you raise a bug with your project folder (the 5.3 loadable version). This seems like a bad performance regression and we should fix it.

Martin_H likes this.
  21. superdupergc

superdupergc

SSR works great for me, and the temporal aspect is great for smoothing - but I started with 200 FPS, and it crashes me down to 50. Do y'all have any tips for tweaking it for performance?

22. stevenwanhk

stevenwanhk

Bug report has been submitted, case number is 816325. Thanks

23. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

So your frame time before was 5ms, and your frame time after is 15ms. This implies that the SSR effect is taking 15ms (quite slow). What settings are you using? You might want to reduce resolution of the effect and decrease the number of steps / step distance.

24. jimmikaelkael

jimmikaelkael

I'm interested, has this issue been reproduced by Unity ?

25. Teejay5

Teejay5

@Chman @Tim-C
    Update on the strange behavior of the Tonemapper/Color Grader in our game!:

We thought that the issue was specific to our project, because every time we did a test with a different project, the Color Grading would behave as expected. But as it turns out, the issue is specific to our camera.

This is how we found out: we created a new camera, then copied the Color Grading settings from the old one to the new one.
    We then made a build, with only the new camera showing, and behold, everything looks fine; All the colors are the colors we are expecting.
    Then, we made a button to toggle between the two cameras so that we can observe the differences.

Here is what the new, correct camera looks like (this is how it looks in the editor too):

Here is what the previous camera looks like (colors are incorrect):

The only differences are:
    Camera #2 was instantiated, whereas camera #1 was not
    Camera #2 has a different tag and slightly different field of view (but thats irrelevant i think)

Both cameras are using Forward rendering, and Color Grading is the only sub-component of the Tonemapping Color Grading script that is enabled. The color grading settings on both cameras are identical. Neither camera has any other image effect attached to them.
    In the editor, both cameras are behaving correctly, only in the build is camera #2 displaying the wrong colors.

So it's quite mysterious but I hope we can figure this out! Does it have to do with the fact that our camera is instantiated from a prefab at runtime?

26. Teejay5

Teejay5

It appears that spawning a camera from a prefab messes with the color grading in the build!
    We did a test where there were two cameras:
    Camera 1 is an instantiated prefab
    Camera 2 is a gameobject already in the scene.
    Both cameras are based on the same prefab. In the editor, switching between the two cameras makes no difference. In the build, you will notice a definite difference in color.
    So I think that's the cause of the issue! Something about spawning a camera that was a prefab messes with color grading settings. We tried making both cameras non-prefabs and it fixed the issue. I hope this helps!

27. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

I'm just here to say thanks, these effects look awesome! I recently imported the package (a week or two ago) from the asset store, and so far I have no complaints. The tonemapping, SSAO and bloom effects look great.

Looking forward to trying out the new motion blur effect (which was shown in the Unity 5.4 release notes) as well, once it's available:

28. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Try bitbucket?

29. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

It's not there, at least not yet

Edit: Thanks, I just noticed the "moblur" branch

30. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'm surprised it's not on the release branch! would have expected it by now..

31. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Yeah it needs to be merged in. Bit distracted lately with *secret project*, other *secret project*, and siggraph. :) Will address this this week :)

LukaKotar, hippocoder and Martin_H like this.
  32. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

i'm intrigued dammit :/

33. nxrighthere

nxrighthere

Shodan0101 likes this.
  34. 00christian00

00christian00

Other than what seem a vsync issue, the interlaced output seem common between motion blur effects I saw a similar output on the amplify motion that's why I never liked motion blur so far, works well only in controlled scenarios.

35. stevenwanhk

stevenwanhk

I tried to tick "Single-Pass Stereo Rendering" in Unity 5.4 and found that cinematic image effects do not support it.

36. 00christian00

00christian00

Just tried the new motion blur, I like it and it might be even usable on last gen mobile from 5s and on.
    It doesn't play nice with Unity UI it flickers a lot. Also it make UI Mask useless as it is rendering the whole texture.

37. brettj

brettj

It would be nice to if the vignette had an option to dither to get rid of banding. I'm using the noise image effect to fix the banding, but dithering seems like something that should be built in.

AcidArrow likes this.
  38. nxrighthere

nxrighthere

@brettj You can just apply Lens Aberrations effect before Tonemapping and enable dithering in the Color Grading.

Martin_H and brettj like this.
  39. brettj

brettj

Nice, thanks!

40. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You're a terrible person really. Now we must know!

41. brettj

brettj

The Line Renderer and Trail Renderer don't seem to work as expected with the Motion Blur image effect. Since the line stays with the camera, shouldn't it always be crisp? And for the trail, it looks too strong, right?

Loving it otherwise.

LukaKotar likes this.
  42. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

You'll not have to wait too long ;)

43. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Hi we've seen this bug logged on the bit bucket repository. Will ask keijro to investigate :)

44. cAyouMontreal

cAyouMontreal

Hi guys ! We tried the latest version of the taa (from bitbucket) in Subaeria. We were using the solution from PlayDead before, the result is quite similar, the aliasing is almost inexistant but when the camera is moving it's very blurry (textures, edges, etc...). I've reduced the jittering scale to 0.25 and it's a bit better, the cons is that when the camera is not moving the aliasing is back. fyi we are in deferred and linear color space.

I don't know if you guys planning to improve that in next updates, it would be great !
    Performances wise, it seems that's the post effect itself is very fast, faster than the PlayDead version (with vector motions scripts attached to objects).

Anyway, we will still let the user choose which AA he would like to use on the settings menu (TAA or SMAA). So if he doesn't like blurry things, he will enjoy an aliased game !

45. Player7

Player7

So I was looking for a way to get anti-aliasing on just one camera, figured I'd try out the cinema effects again just to see how things have improved..

Unfortunately the effect doesn't just work on only the camera its applied too :(

I've adjusted the viewport rect on the 2nd camera so you can see its applying the effect to what is drawn by the main camera, and not just the grid that is drawn on the 2nd camera (shown in camera preview). Ideally I just want anti-aliasing on the those grid lines, not the rest of the image for now anyway. Anyone know of a way(another asset?) to get that to work like this?

Also I'm using the experimental temporal setting as a cheap fuzzy blur filter to accentuate this problem, I think it works good for that right. :D

46. customphase

customphase

Wait, i dont get it. So these cinematic effects are still in alpha/beta? What the hell? I thought in the roadmap you said you will release final versions with 5.4. I just upgraded to 5.4 and i dont have cinematic effects in any standard package. I tried reimporting the Effects package, it says that i already have all the contents

47. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

customphase likes this.
  48. customphase

customphase

Ah, i see. I know about the repository, just thought im missing something. Thanks anyway.

49. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Yeah the TAA isn't even in our trunk yet because of issues like the one you described. Internally we still need a proper QA pass (it's happening this week :) ). When we get most of these kinks out we'll merge it in and it will be more official. We released it early to get specific scenes / examples from the community where it's failing. Internally we ran it though a lot of scenes, but there is so much user content that we can't catch it all.

50. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Most of the effects are not alpha / beta anymore and are ready. We just have not moved the folders / pushed a new release to asset store. I think I'll do that today :)

elbows and Soul-Challenger like this.