1. We're looking for feedback on Unity Starter Kits! Let us know what you’d like.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2017.2 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity 2017.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Introducing the Unity Essentials Packs! Find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out all the fixes for 5.6 on the patch releases page.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Help us improve the editor usability and artist workflows. Join our discussion to provide your feedback.
    Dismiss Notice

Cinemachine Collider Component Not functioning as Expected....is it a bug?

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by FrankenCreations, Jul 12, 2017.

1. FrankenCreations

FrankenCreations

To start some background info on me. I am completely new to game dev. I know literally nothing and may just be completely wrong about this. Knowing that I may just be doing something wrong I thought it best to ask rather than try to file some formal issue bs or anything. So here goes I hope I can explain it well enough.

I am using unity2017, freshly installed today. I am trying to get a virtual camera to collide with a wall and stop itself from penetrating the wall it collides with. I don't want it to do anything else other than track and look at one object, a cube in this instance. Should be a simple task I think but I can't seem to do it. I have made a test scene with 3 primitives created by unity all cubes and one virtual camera/main camera combo. The cubes are named ground, wall and target. The virtual camera is set to follow and aim at the target cube. I made it as absolutely simple as I possibly could. Everything was left at default the way it came out of the box except for the vCam which had a collider component attached with the line of sight check box disabled. The camera tracks perfectly, follows and aims correctly. When it gets pushed into a wall it will collide and push away or resist entering but only to the distance of the curb feelers roughly before it goes through the wall. If I want to keep the camera from entering the wall I have to set the curb feeler distance equal to the distance of the camera offset. If set to a reasonable distance the camera will enter a wall long before the cube gets to it.

to summarize: one camera tracks one object and the collider doesn't collide for very long with the line of sight disabled. When line of sight is enabled it does all the work. How do I get the collider to just collide and not slide down the wall because the line of sight feature forces it closer to the target instead of the collision taking over and leaving the camera high on the wall looking down at the target.

Attached is a copy of the test project if you need further clarification.

Attached Files:

2. FrankenCreations

FrankenCreations

Help? Anyone?......even a simple it's supposed to be that way would work. I don't even know if I'm doing something wrong and the collider is supposed to require the line of sight checkbox to be active. It seems like the collider is broken to me. If it requires line of sight to be active why can I disable it? Does it work right for everyone else? Am I just not getting the hang of how it should work. Im completely lost here.

3. FrankenCreations

FrankenCreations

I hate to sound desperate but has anyone else used the collider component effectively?

4. Image3d

Image3d

Hi Franken. I am using but still have some problems. Waiting for the collision demo they promisse

5. FrankenCreations

FrankenCreations

At least I'm not alone

6. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

@FrankenCreations @Image3d Hey sorry for the late reply. I was on vacation and just got back. Indeed there is an issue with the Collider, and for now it only works if LineOfSight is enabled. This is a bug that somehow slipped through our QA, and we are working on getting it fixed. I'll let you know when we have something. Hang in there!

7. FrankenCreations

FrankenCreations

I had read in one of you other posts that you were on vacation so I wasn't really pushing the issue. That and I almost dont even feel right asking too loudly since I don't really contribute as of now. Im using the free unity and I'm not even experienced enough to answer questions on the forum much. Anything you guys do for me is just that, doing something for me, since im not doing much for you. I am glad you do these things and I hope to be able to give back in time. For now all I can do is say thank you for letting me know I was correct in my line of thinking. I am at the point in learning where I'm not always sure if im wrong or if it actually is a problem and you cleared that up for me.

I was working on a way of achieving close to what I wanted using the priority system on a cloud of cameras but that seems wrong to me even when it works. It's just too much going on to do what could be done by one virtual camera. I tried having the virtual cam following a cube with a rigidbody collider and addForce. I couldn't get it to follow quickly enough to suit me. Im looking for near perfect tracking with no dampening and just wasnt getting it good enough. I have been trial and error tinkering for a while now but just haven't come up with the right thing. Now that I know it is an actual bug that may get fixed I will move on to other things for a bit and see what happens.