Search Unity

Cheetah3d Material Color import?

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by CpH, Apr 27, 2008.

1. CpH

CpH

Material color doesn't appear on the models I import into Unity. I can see the name of the material in my Unity inspector but no Main Colors are displayed, only shows up white. I can import any texture maps just fine. I've tried every Shader type Unity has every material type Cheetah has without any luck, not even an error message to trouble shoot.

Oddly the material colors are displayed in every other application I import into except UT. I get the same results with FBX's from Cheetah also. I've tried changing UT asset import options, but no effect.

I've got to be over looking something.
    Is importing Cheetah3d materials with color applied to the polygon mesh even possible without baking them first?

I'm on a GMA950 MacMini 2GB IntelCoreDuo.

Attached Files:

2. jeffcraighead

jeffcraighead

Like you mentioned, you have to bake your Cheetah procedural textures. If you use a UV mapped image as a texture in Cheetah then it should import automatically.

3. CpH

CpH

Thanks for the heads up. The link for Cheetah3D import "http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/Manual/HOWTO-ImportObjectCheetah3D.html", mentions materials diffuse color as one of the imported features. So I'm a little confused about that. Is it due to the material type (poloygon shading -vs- vertex shading) technology in UT being unable to recognize it?

I can export my sample object to FBX from Cheetah3d open it up in QuickTime with the free AutoDesk FBX plugin and it will display my test object with all material colors. Strange Eh!?!

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Is this about vertex colors? (Yeah, terminology confusion. ;) ) If so, there aren't many shaders that use those. None of the built-in ones (I think), but there are a few on the wiki.

--Eric

5. boojeboy

boojeboy

Yeah this is a little confusing ot me as well. If I create simple ball in Cheetah3d, make the Object Editable, apply a material to it (like marble for example) and then bake it, only a while sphere shows up and the material is white.
    How should we be exporting the materials from Cheetah3d for use with Unity?