Search Unity

Character with Animation: back to the original position in Timeline preview

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by johnny1225, Mar 17, 2017.

1. johnny1225

johnny1225

I put a character A in timeline as a animation track. Then dragged 2 animations: running, sprinting forward roll in A's track. I wanted A to running at the begin of this track and then roll forward. And it worked when I click the Unity "Play" button.

But when I tried to replay it in Timeline Editor at specific time, things changed. Character A went back to the original position after "running" animation clip finished, then rolled from that position, which was totally different from what I saw in the "Play" mode.

upload_2017-3-17_12-3-39.png

upload_2017-3-17_12-4-6.png

upload_2017-3-17_12-4-35.png

2. Selzier

Selzier

I'm also having a problem with the Timeline Editor and character's position. If I have a character in my world, who has an Animation Track, when I click on the animation track in the Timeline Editor, the character is moved to world position 0,0,0.

So I want my character to start on top of a hill, but when I click on the Timeline Editor, or when I press Play in Unity, the character is immediately moved to 0,0,0 (underneath of the hill mesh).

3. Selzier

Selzier

Here's the problem explained, am I doing something wrong?

4. julienb

julienb

Unity Technologies

In order to edit the initial position of an object bound to an Animation Track, you can use the track's offset. Click on the animation track in the timeline, activate the Apply Track Offset checkbox, then edit the position/rotation to match your desire.
    677fd3b6b7bcc9c8aefb47b3b289a3f9.png

Jykob, sikkiv, jipsen and 2 others like this.
  5. Selzier

Selzier

That fixed it for me, thanks. However I do still have the same problem that original poster has reported.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  6. zyeurgh

zyeurgh

Hi,

I ran into a similar issue when trying to play two root motion animations sequentially on a character.
    Specifying the offset works for the first animation but then the second animation will start from whatever offset is specified for that second clip (as the motion of the first clip is not remembered or applied?).
    We would then need to specify another offset for the second clip or any following clips, which seems error prone and would become wrong if, let say, the first animation changes slightly.

Is that what that chehckbox "Äpply Track Offsets" is there for? It doesn't seem to be present in the currently available build (5.6.0b6).

Cheers,

SamRock likes this.
  7. zyeurgh

zyeurgh

Actually, the "Äpply Track Offsets" is there on the track inspector, I was looking at the clip level.
    I see it applies the offset for all the clips, which is nice but it still requires to have a local offset for each sequential clips to align them after the previous one.

8. zyeurgh

zyeurgh

Alright, it looks like the way to handle this is to right click on the animation clip and hit "Match Offsets to previous clip".

Marrlie, jonatiti48, SamRock and 4 others like this.
  9. jayanam_games

jayanam_games

Same problem here:

Add a character with an animation to the timeline, but the animation does not move the character. So I try to record a move animation in the time line for this character like so:

1. Move to first frame and press record.
    2. Move the character just a few pixel to get the keyframe -> ok
    3. Move to another frame and move the character to new posistion still recording
    4. Deactivate recording

When I move now the time slider in the editor, the charcter's movement is not reflected in preview.

When I press save the character is moved *somewhere* in the scene
    When I then use the timeslider the animation is played backwards (Character starts from end and moves to beginning)

Feels very buggy this thing.

kev_pearman likes this.
  10. elettrozero

elettrozero

Is it possibile that after all this time I still have the same issue??

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  11. jayanam_games

jayanam_games

Yeah same here, so annoying

12. Roy-Massaad1

Roy-Massaad1

how can we access and change the track offset vector variable of a certain playbable director/timeline/track by code from a c# script?

13. julienb

julienb

Unity Technologies

From a TimelineAsset, you can get a list of all the tracks by calling TimelineAsset.GetRootTracks. Then, on your AnimationTrack (you will have to cast TrackAsset as an AnimationTrack), you can set the AnimationTrack.position and AnimationTrack.rotation values.

Roy-Massaad1 likes this.
  14. eladleb4

eladleb4

I saw and used this workaround from another thread:

"The only workaround I can give you right now is to have a parent gameobject that would be used to record the position and keep the Humanoid object for animation clips."

I think it's a reasonable workaround as I found working with the offsets confusing and error prone.

ericjacobus likes this.
  15. walidabazo

walidabazo

Show this video very easy to Character Animation with Mixamo

16. SamRock

SamRock

You are a life saver! Sad to see that even Unity employees didnt suggest this! Now my Characters smooth transition from one clip to another at the position it ended!

17. soompanda

soompanda

Thanks

18. roja_ch

roja_ch

I Couldnt find Apply Track Offset checkbox in the Animation Track
    upload_2019-9-12_2-7-42.png

and i am using Unity 2019.1.0f2 Personal

19. Onsterion

Onsterion

Same problem here i can't find the Clip Transform offset for disable it.

SamRock likes this.
  20. Jykob

Jykob

This helped me man, thank you!

21. XenoGaming

XenoGaming

I've found a solution for those who don't have the checkbox. Right click on the left line. Then "Track Offset" > "Auto" (but deprecated) unityTransformOffset.png

RoaringHeart and Pawciu like this.
  22. Pawciu

Pawciu

Thanks, this one fixed it

RoaringHeart likes this.