Search Unity

Character System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by RobinS, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Gherid_lacksGPS

Gherid_lacksGPS

Fantastic stuff, RobinS. I look forward to the demo and more of your work.

2. RobinS

RobinS

Thank you! I'm happy to hear that. The next version is almost ready and comes with many little fixes.

3. Zozo2099

Zozo2099

Hi RobinS I have 3 questions

1- Can I replace the Ninja with my custom animated character easily? I mean do I need optimizations and work to get the system to work with my character, or it is just replacing the model and assigning the animations to it?

2- And secondly do I need to have all this huge set of animations like the Ninja for my character for the systm? or just the basics can also work like: Run, Walk, attack, jump, hit? :D

3- Can I use the Ninja character in my commercial project?

Thanks

4. RobinS

RobinS

Hi Zozo2099,

1- To get the system working with your character is relatively easy, depending on how your character is build and the animations it has etc. You just need to build a ragdoll with the "ragdoll wizard" ..then attach the scripts.. then replace your animation names in the animation controller script your character has attached .. then fine-tune until you like the result. It has no auto magic systems ..i created the system to archive good looking results with reasonable performance costs. Its basically meant for users who want to build upon or integrate it , which of course take some time. This may change when U4 comes with Mecanim.
    2- You don't need to use all features provided. It works modular, you can use parts of it with doing minor changes ( project oriented ).
    3- Yes, sure you can use the ninja commercially.

You're welcome ;-)

5. Mikie

Mikie

Rob,

Could make a movie(simple stick person) that takes the model from Blender and inserts it into Unity and animates? I did buy the pre-released version of Unity 4. And they are going to give me another $500 off.

6. RobinS

RobinS

Hey Mikie,
    You mean a tutorial video? yeah, good idea!

7. Mikie

Mikie

Yes.

8. Zozo2099

Zozo2099

Yes it will be great to have a video tutorial on how to use the system for our own characters, a little support for the 85€ we paid :)

Thanks

9. RobinS

RobinS

No worry's gentlemen ;-) i'm working on the next release. a setup tutorial will follow soon.
    Also, the demo scene in combination with the script comments should help in the meantime.

10. RobinS

RobinS

I submitted the first update.

Version 1.0.1
    - Added a Cool-down for the jumping function.
    - Fixed problems with the procedural animations.
    - Tweaked the character movement to reduce "sliding".
    - Movement and some animations are quicker now.
    - Fixed Camera clipping in various situations.
    - Improved the demo scene.
    - Other minor optimizations..

11. elias_t

elias_t

Very well thought and made.
    The tutorial for a custom character would help a lot.

12. RobinS

RobinS

Thank you very much,
    A tutorial video is in production besides some new features for the next update, version 1.0.2

13. Mihai93

Mihai93

Ok i Bought it Robins i test System is excelnt to all peapole ho whantt to buy it is realy excelent but for 90 Dollrs i think will need to have more fatures

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTiQfy9FBbg

Take a look this video to know you can do that animation more clear and how to make climbing for houses

14. RobinS

RobinS

Thanks for your comment,

The package will get ongoing support and upgrades in the future, as mentioned earlier.
    I think $90 is a very reasonable price. Just take the 89 animations, not to mention the control scripts, then the character.
    If you divide that by 90.. How much is that for just one animation? ;-)
    Climbing on "houses" is absolutely possible.
    I just missed to add that basic programming skill is a must for using, integrating, and upgrading this package.

15. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Absolutely !!! this asset worth each penny invested in it ! it s a bargain for customer ! i wish i add time to get it and play with it !!! I m really thinking to team up with a dev friend to use that as a base to do something. I still have a lil baby in mind that would really take a huge advantage of that wonderful feature.
    Keep it up !
    Hope you re having great sales :)

16. RobinS

RobinS

Thanks, the same to you ! mon ami.
    We're always excited about your new creations ;-) great job man!

17. Mihai93

Mihai93

@RobinS is possible to add an animation when him go at horse exemple ridding xD idk how to tell you

P.S i just pay and downloaded is absolute INCREDIBLE MAN i Love ALL Thanks RobinS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. RobinS

RobinS

A horse riding animation is a cool idea! will add it to my feature list ;-)

19. RobinS

RobinS

Version 1.0.1 is now live in the asset store!

- Added a Cool-down for the jumping function.
    - Fixed problems with the procedural animations.
    - Tweaked the character movement to reduce "sliding".
    - Movement and some animations are quicker now.
    - Fixed Camera clipping in various situations.
    - Improved the demo scene.
    - Other minor optimizations..

20. Zozo2099

Zozo2099

I really canot figure out how to make climb objects for the ninja in my custom scene :confused: we really need a tutorial

21. RobinS

RobinS

Bear up just a little please, the tutorial is ready very soon. It's really easy and fast to set up as you will see ;-)
    You could use the pre-made climb objects as prefabs in your scene to compare whats wrong with your custom ones till then.
    Thanks for your patience.

22. Mihai93

Mihai93

Hey man i add a cube and rename it "climbObject" how i add to it layer nothing?

23. gumboots

gumboots

Hi Robin,

I just purchased the system, seems really great so far, congrats! People should also realise you don't only include the character, anims, and engine, but things they wouldn't think of, like post processing effects etc. A really great package! I'm wondering whether you have any intention of adding gradual motion rather than instant starting/stopping? I've noticed the ground drag affects how quickly you stop, but is this a default value? Or dependent on how fast you're moving? And additionally, I'd love to be able to warm in to movement, even if it's only half a second, so rather than instantly moving, the character has to warm up.

Additionally- I turned up the 'Start Ragdoll Force' which stopped it from triggering a ragdoll when I ran over a hill. However I'm wondering how hard it would be to make the character basically stick to the ground unless you jump? If you run off say the slope that leads in to the water, the ninja flies in to the water rather than running down the slope in to it, does that make sense? Is this a limitation? Or something that could be implemented?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  24. RobinS

RobinS

@Mihai93: Please hold on just a little longer the video is almost done ;-)

@gumboots:
    Hi gumboots, thanks, makes me always happy to hear that ;-) The drag is a constant effect it behaves like air resistance. I like the idea of the gradually movement effect, like under inertia. I guess it will be a new feature for version 1.0.2 ;-)
    Thanks for your feedback guys !

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  25. Mihai93

Mihai93

Ah i see a very useful Update you can made for this in the next Update you make character can climb on houses but can not jump down again so you should do something that could also fall back on the same steps

26. gumboots

gumboots

Hi again Robyn,

Great to hear you like the idea! Any ideas on going down ramps? I don't want my character to leave the ground when they run off a ramp, only when the player jumps. Is this because of the rigidbody? Or is there a fix that can be done?

27. RobinS

RobinS

@Mihai93: It's a kind of "leap/jump-climbing" you can do the same backwards or downwards if i understood you right, or just use the wall climbing feature.

@gumboots: I just made some tests on strong slants, you're right. If everything goes well it's fixed in 1.0.2, thanks for pointing that out!

28. Zozo2099

Zozo2099

please can we know when the tutorial video will be available? Thanks

29. RobinS

RobinS

Finally! the tutorial has arrived :)

I hope you find it helpful.

30. Mihai93

Mihai93

Soo if i have another character i can add your animations??

31. kerterz

kerterz

My account got snacked by UDN i guess. -.- ..can't log in anymore.

Yes if you retarget them or use the skeleton for your characters.

32. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

After the 1.0.2 update I will gladly make a tutorial showing how easy it is to retarget Robs ninja animations (with his permission of course) to any other t-pose based character in motionbuilder.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  33. kerterz

kerterz

You have my permission sir, looking forward to the video :)
    btw 1.0.2 is making good progress and will have many fixes and new features!

34. sonicviz

sonicviz

Hi,
    I'm looking to get this but have a couple of questions.

1. Will this integrate easily into the new Unity4 animation system?
    2. Will you be adding any throwing animations, like a shuriken? (he is a ninja after all!)
    3. Would it be possible to add a simple example of sword combat and collision detection in action?
    ie: Example Character against another instance of character. I guess it's just a trigger detection of whatever colliders the swords have on them? Ditto for body contact? How do you differentiate different points of contact in that case?

Looks great btw! Thanks for the recent tutorial as well.

ty.

35. Balbi

Balbi

Is there any plan to support Mobile out of the box with an onscreen joystick and buttons?

36. poboczny

poboczny

OMG ! This is amazing !

I was looking for a climbing system for soo long ! :)

Nice, I belive that after Ubrin I'll be creating some characters for climbers !

Ubrin

37. norby

norby

Hi Robin

Great Video, Good work

Norby

38. kerterz

kerterz

@sonicviz: Hi,
    1- I will work on an implementation for U4
    2- i like the idea and will put it on my list! :)
    3- Its hard to fit everyones needs in that matter. A combat and damage system should be done by the user to fit the gameplay needs in my opinion.
    Btw the package is very customizable for programmers.
    Thanks! and you're welcome.

@Baldi: This should be pretty easy to implement. But i don't own mobile licenses nor a up to date phone to test it.
    Would like to see a third party plugin in that matter.

@poboczny: Thanks!

@norby: Hi norby,
    Thank you! ;-)

39. Korok

Korok

OMG this is awesome, I've been dreaming about this XD

40. Mihai93

Mihai93

Can you tell what will be on 1.0.2??

41. RobinS

RobinS

I can access my account again!.. thank havens :D
    @Korok: Haha! Thanks! ;-)
    @Mihai93: A list will go out, soon.

42. RobinS

RobinS

I made a short trailer, for devs with less time :)

43. Mihai93

Mihai93

Robins Can i tell you samthing exemple on tut video i see you export a rigged character and after you add Ninja animations so my question is if i have an character with else animatin i can add to him these animations?

44. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

how hard is it to only take the first person camera nad the third person camera and dont use anything else on my own character with locomotion on him ?

45. RobinS

RobinS

@Mihai93: As i told you, you need to retarget the animations.

@mrbdrm: It's very easy, just drag the camera script on your character, add the camera reference, if you didn't need the orbit state remove or exclude it.

46. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

i just got it
    but i must say im not happy to pay 90$ to use the camera .
    EDIT : i did what you said and the script cant find the head position , why dont expose the head position variable in the inspector ?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  47. Mihai93

Mihai93

Man for 90$ make please like this

48. RobinS

RobinS

@mrbdrm: Great! ;-) thanks for your feedback i will make the head position expose able in the next update.

@Mihai93: Please stop posting nonsense in this thread.

49. Balbi

Balbi

Mihai93, he's not going to do your work for you :) If you want something like that, I would suggest hiring a programmer that can do it for you. For $90, you're getting something that studios would have spent thousands of dollars on salaries. RobinS's package get's you quite close to that video. With fine tuning, your own animations and a talented programmer you could be most of the way to an Assassin's Creed-like game. Also, keep in mind, it costs millions of dollars to make an Assassin's Creed title.

50. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

so do i have to wait ? what do i do now to fix this ? also please do some documentation . i have no idea how to do anything .
    i will rate it now .