Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Combat Framework

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by username_unity_of_my, Aug 29, 2016.

1. username_unity_of_my

username_unity_of_my

Hello people of unity!

I released a new package on asset store.
    Its general purpose third person character controller system and creator.

Along default character controller system which is aimed to be extended as wished,
    added is more specialized combat system with npc interaction.

Purpose is, along with basic movement system, is to easily create player and/or npc controller with few clicks.
    Placing npcs on map ready for combat with customizable animations and sounds.

Character controller is using rigid body capsule as movement collider, it can push and be pushed.
    Also has body parts colliders which can be used for body location hits with ragdoll fall and hit reaction system.
    Package provides playable game demo to show examples of using player and npc controllers.

Features:
    - player and npc creator
    - camera that can follow, rotate, zoom to player and wall collision prevention
    - top down camera that can follow, rotate and zoom to player ( for top down view system ).
    - unarmed, one handed weapon & shield, two handed weapon attack, block, block hit, locomotion animations, crouch, jump, dive roll etc...
    Movement modes:
    - walking towards moving direction strafing and ledge climbing movement mode.
    Weapon modes: ( v3)
    -one handed weapon & shield, two handed weapon and unarmed, bow, dual wield.
    - drawing / sheathing weapons ( switching between weapon and unarmed systems )
    - possibility to assign unique animation clips to every weapon and shield ( like attack, block, locomotion and other )
    - combat system with animated hit & block reactions.
    - ragdoll & accurate physics hit reaction system with ragdoll - animator transitions.
    - slope climbing limitations.
    - walking / running up and down steps and uneven terrain.
    - footsteps sound system.
    - sound manager
    - trigger management system with premade:
    - ladders climbing.
    - jump over obstacles.
    - jump on obstacles.
    -climb on obstacles
    - jump down
    - leap
    - ledge climbing.
    - npc local avoidance
    - npc nav mesh traversing
    - included example of combat demos with animations, sounds, npc and player prefabs.
    - and more...

I think better view can be obtained by looking at the videos.
    Since there are lots of videos, I'll separate them into two posts.

Player Demo & Setup:

Npcs Trigger & Obstacles Demo:

Top Down Demo:

Combat Framework:

Unarmed Demo:

Even more insight can be gained by trying out the demo scenes:

Dungeon combat scene: LINK

Player course scene: LINK

Blacksmith Demo: LINK

Multiple Scenes - TopDown and ThirdPerson: LINK

You can get the package at the: Asset Store LINK

Thank you for your time!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    MaximilianPs likes this.
  2. username_unity_of_my

username_unity_of_my

More videos ( it wont fit in single post ):

Slopes, steps & uneven terrain traversing feature:

Tutorial Videos:

Player Item Setup: LINK
    Archery System: LINK
    Npcs Triggers & Obstacles Setup: LINK
    Player & Footsteps: LINK
    Combat Framework Tutorial: LINK
    Top Down Tutorial: LINK
    Player Triggers & Ladders & Ledges: LINK

My YouTube Channel: LINK

Thank you!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  3. username_unity_of_my

username_unity_of_my

Hello again!

First update released!

Added weapon system with two modes: weapon&shield and two handed weapon.
    Switching between unarmed and weapons.
    Drawing / sheathing weapons.
    Possibility to assign unique attack, block, locomotion and any other animation clip to every weapon and shield.
    General fixes and improvements.

Here's setup video for combat framework player and weapon / shield setup.

4. Gherid_lacksGPS

Gherid_lacksGPS

Ran across this not to long ago. Haven't delved into the asset / code / setup itself but the demos, tuts and so forth are fantastic. It feels super good and seems to offer some nice platforming and combat out of the box. Dual wielding in V3 looks amazing. Any insights into future plans / updates?

Excellent work, needs more recognition.

5. username_unity_of_my

username_unity_of_my

Hello again,
    I just wanna report that version 3.0 is released.
    v3 updates:
    - added more items to item system: bow, quiver.
    - added more weapon modes: bow mode, dual wield mode.
    - added item highlighting when picking.
    -archery system
    - bugfixes
    - overall improvements.
    ... more on chages & updates look in README.txt

Version 3.0 player setup video:

Version 3.0 item setup:

Version 3.0 archery tutorial:

... and link to another player: Blacksmith Demo

6. username_unity_of_my

username_unity_of_my

Thank you!
    Well, for future updates I plan to add inventory system, character custimization ( armor, helmets etc...) improve ai and make more npc types.
    I already made that just need to polish:

7. Twoonebe

Twoonebe

Hello, I found the GP & Combat Framework feature very interesting. Can I still have some infos from you?

Multiplayer: how is it with the AI from there are possible changes to the system perhaps angry system

I know your inventory is still at the beginning but will there be an intregration or possibility to use Inventory Pro?

Find it is simply one of the best inventory systems there is.

Or will your inventory system be similar?

What about an action bar? Will there be something in the future?

A small tip yet I would in the assetstore with your product with the link in this forum with so that the people can see better what your character controller GP & Combat Framework has to offer?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  8. Twoonebe

Twoonebe

Looks very good, is there already something new to see or are you on vacation?

9. username_unity_of_my

username_unity_of_my

I am taking a rest for a few days, but I cannot without poking at the keys a little.
    I am optimizing npcs - I will put many npcs video soon. Also I am creating open/go trough door, climb rope, push/pull objects features on CCGP - also video soon.

10. Twoonebe

Twoonebe

sounds good

a little question: Did your AI work with other creatures or only with humans ?

11. username_unity_of_my

username_unity_of_my

Hmmm, Ai script is calculating path, local avoidance, idle, wait, chase states etc.
    Currently npc and player are required to be humanoid. Mostly because of unity IK system needed for ledge traversal, ladder climb and the like.
    But I dont see many modification needed for npc to be generic - if you dont need those triggers for npcs ( or those triggers with IK for npcs ).
    Good that you reminded me, npc can be made to work with generic much easier - I'll adress that after next updates.

12. Twoonebe

Twoonebe

okay sounds good

13. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi Mario,

I purchased your asset and imported to a new blank Unity project but cant use it as there is a console error after importing the Package :

Assets/_CharacterControllerGP/Standard Assets/ParticleSystems/Scripts/Hose.cs(32,32): error CS0426: The nested type `MainModule' does not exist in the type `UnityEngine.ParticleSystem'

How do I fix this as I cant use it at all at the moment and test run any example scene?

Edit Update :

OK I think I fixed it so hopefully no worries.

Peter

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  14. Twoonebe

Twoonebe

Hey peter how did you fix that, i thinks it`s helpfull for other users here in the Forum ?

15. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi Twoonebe,

I had a few initial error messages as I had imported the asset into a new blank unity project- all of which were simply fixed by adding the Unity Standard Assets files that were missing.....

After that I wanted to import and use the Controller asset into existing projects (the reason for having it) that use many other assets and had a few more problems. More adjustments and those were fixed and any issues I had - overcome too in my existing project. Some of the issues were simple and rather silly like the player was not animating correctly over the terrain by default - "relevant tags missing" but it took me a while to discover and work out for myself that was the reason.

Sounds/tags were also missing in places so they did not work out of the box and they would not I guess.

None of the issues were anything to do really with this asset which seems to be very well put together though I have not had time to go through everything and have only set up the player as yet so I can walk around as I need do so to build the level further. Not even added any weapons or enemies as yet. Don't really need them getting in the way of level building though I wont be able to resist a battle for long :)

I am doing the necessities first re : the Player, e.g. collision and so on.

I have a question for anyone that can help regarding the In Game - On Screen Pointer (mouse pointer)...

How can I hide it from view when in gameplay. It looks awful and invasive and as far as I can see serves no purpose whatsoever as there is nothing to click with it In game exe - no menu - if there was it should only appear when a menu is called to display. Pickups don't need it and again if they did, it should only appear when in close proximity to a collectable/item of user interaction.

One more issue is that I cant hide the in game on screen Controls i.e. "Press F1 to hide the controls" or to be more exact it's the words "Press F1 to show/hide the controls" themselves cant be removed (hidden) as they should be until F1 Pressed to display them again? I have even tried reinstalling the asset with no luck :)

One way or another I will remove it but hopefully can turn it off in the asset system somehow? Is there a choice anywhere to turn it on or off? I don't particularly like orbital cameras and perhaps its needed in this instance for that though I don't think so?

Anyway glad to post something here.

I have attached a screen shot for anyone to look at with an interest and bear in mind its a one day into it shot.

:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    ocimpean and Twoonebe like this.
  16. username_unity_of_my

username_unity_of_my

Hello,
    It is stated in the manual that after you import project you click on the 'Tools/Character Controller GP/Setup Project Requirements'
    That will create all axes, tags, layers, physics exclusions etc...

I created project working in unity 5.2.2 and 5.5.0 using standard assets for those ( standard assets are needed for some scenes only - not needed for actual system ) and I noticed that standard assets scripts are changed based on unity version - so, if there are problems with standard assets, just import version for your unity version.

For removing info text - just remove UnityEngine.UI.Text object from GAMECONTROLLER object GameControl component InfoUI field ( set to null/none ).

Twoonebe likes this.
  17. supanatuwral

supanatuwral

How do we add animations?

18. username_unity_of_my

username_unity_of_my

You can add animations in animator, overrider or individualy for each weapon in inspector.

supanatuwral likes this.
  19. supanatuwral

supanatuwral

I'm sorry, can you give a bit more of an explanaition? I am very split between getting this and the Invector System. What you have here is great, especially for AI. Since both products are competitively priced, I really want to do my homework before I commit. I am very new to this and I am willing to put the work in to learn but what kind of scripting will I need to do for adding animations? Will I need to just drag and drop when it comes to replacing them? What is the overrider? These questions are the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on this item. Your tutorial videos were really good, but they did not cover much animation details. Thank you in advance for answering my questions.

20. Knightmore

Knightmore

I watched your progress on your asset since you released it but now I have question about something.
    I am still thinking about if I should go this path for my work or just buy your asset as it is (it has nearly everything I would want to use/create myself) and only work with the third-person aspect:

Are you planning to extend this and add a first-person-view (maybe with full body awareness to use all the climbing features and such)?

My first goal was to use first- and third-person-view with a transition by scrolling in to the character, but it seems like there is no solution for this on the asset store and your asset at least provides everything needed for the third-person aspect. :)

21. username_unity_of_my

username_unity_of_my

No need for scripting for adding animations.
    First, you can replace animations the usual way - drag animation clip into the current state in animator ( like attack combo or locomotion idle or else ) - just be carefull to create animation events on new animation clip if needed.

Second, you can create AnimatorOverriderController and replace clips that way. Also be carefull for needed animation events upon importing new clip.

Third, you can replace clip for each weapon/shield so every weapon have unique attack/block/any other animation - drag clip in weapon animation clip inpector field and type in original clip name you wish to override - look out for needed animation events.

supanatuwral likes this.
  22. username_unity_of_my

username_unity_of_my

Well, I was planning to add first person, but to be honest, its not near the top of my TO DO list.

23. supanatuwral

supanatuwral

Can I use an asset like http://u3d.as/mvc? I just purchased your controller and want to use these animations but they are in one FBX and I dont know how to add them. Would it be easier to just use Mixamo animations? Sorry for all the animation questions but I really like this controller and want it to work.

Attached Files:

24. Knightmore

Knightmore

Ah okay, well I have some idea to combine your asset with the "realistic fps" and transition to third person everytime the player has to use climbing etc.

I think those two assets are the best for my project at the moment :)
    Count me in as a new customer the next weeks :D

25. username_unity_of_my

username_unity_of_my

Yes, I tested with mixamo models a lot. Thay have T bindpose which suits nicely for my default animations.
    And I just checked animation from link - I haven't tested it but I think it will work fine.
    Just remember to check for animation events upon import when replacing animations.

supanatuwral likes this.
  26. supanatuwral

supanatuwral

Ok this is really fun to work with. One thing, setting up NPC's and Guard Zone like in the video, I get the NPC's to attack but they wont follow me. Its like I have to be on top of them to attack me. I know I'm doing something wrong, but I've redone it 3 times already and same result. Does it have something to do with Navmesh? Since it doesnt show you how exactly to apply it in the video I added it to each NPC. Should it be applied to the terrain instead?
    So far the Asset is great!

ocimpean likes this.
  27. username_unity_of_my

username_unity_of_my

Yes, NavMesh have to be generated on terrain - it have to be static mesh ( navmesh static ). Also type in number of allowed attackers and fight area in guardzone.
    Only allowed number of attackers are attacking at once other wait around you in fightarea distance of player.
    Did you setup layers, axes etc.. ( Tools/Character Controller GP/Setup Project Requirements) ?.

supanatuwral likes this.
  28. supanatuwral

supanatuwral

Sorry for being such a nuisance, but still no luck. When I click on Tools/Character Controller GP/Setup Project Requirements nothing happens. I went into the blacksmith scene to see how it all works. When following your video step by step creating an NPC and guardzone from a cube, no good. I then copied your prefab npcguardzone1 and placed it in front om my own NPC and got it to work(all in the blacksmith scene). In my own project I copied the same prefab and it didnt work. I then went back to the blacksmith scene and moved the player character, npc, and guardzone outside the wooden walls and it didnt work. So what is on the GroundCube that lets it all work? and why cant I access Tools/Character Controller GP/Setup Project Requirements?

29. username_unity_of_my

username_unity_of_my

That looks to me like you dont have NavMesh generated - like, in my blacksmith scene NavMesh is generated only inside fence - so if you put GuardZone outside - it wont work ( NPC cannot traverse ground).
    Did you generate NavMesh on your scene?
    When you click 'Tools/Character Controller GP/Setup Project Requirements' it will create layers/axes,tags etc. so if it is setup already it will do nothing.( I dont think that is the problem because it would tell you 'Input axis dont exist' or something like that).

For generating NavMesh click on ground mesh and make it static ( top right corner in inspector).

Then go to Navigation window - 'Window/Navigation'.
    In Navigation panel click on 'Bake'.

It should look like this:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  30. supanatuwral

supanatuwral

That was it. Thank you so much. I should have found that out on my own!

31. supanatuwral

supanatuwral

Is it possible to make the player move while in combat? As in not being rooted to the ground when attacking.

32. username_unity_of_my

username_unity_of_my

Hmmm, I dont know exactly what you mean - you can move during attack - you can create any attack animation you want, you can dive roll - change attack direction during attack ( only on start of attack swing ).
    If you mean to blend between locomotion and attack state in another layer - then no. It looks akward when walking and applying attack animation in top layer. You can implement it yourself though.
    You can implement attack combo blend tree with attack combo of standing in place and moving forward then apply one or the other depending of forward move input. I did this before and it looks good.
    Its on my TODO list but I need to create duplicate attack animations of standing in place attacking.

33. Twoonebe

Twoonebe

Something news ?

34. username_unity_of_my

username_unity_of_my

Here what is coming in the next update ( among other things ):

Very soon ( this week I'll submit if goes as planned).
    I'll write more details when I'm done.

MaximilianPs, ocimpean and Twoonebe like this.
  35. Twoonebe

Twoonebe

Wow looks really good, which makes me very intressed as it looks in the future it will also be possible to have enemy npc "no human" as opponents are only human possible?

36. magique

magique

Just stumbled across this while browsing the asset store forums. Looks fantastic. I don't know how this one slipped past my radar. I own every other major 3rd person controller and this one looks to be among the best.

37. username_unity_of_my

username_unity_of_my

I will start with generic npcs implementation after this update. I think it should be fairly easy.

Twoonebe and magique like this.
  38. magique

magique

Quick question. In the demo scenes when you use a ladder, the character automatically climbs all the way up or down. Can it be configured so the player can go up and down on his own?

Also, in the player course scene when the character is hanging from the beams near the top of the course it says to 'Use' to pull up or 'jump' + 'use' to reverse. But when I tried it, neither key combination did anything and I couldn't go any further.

39. Twoonebe

Twoonebe

Hey maginque,

easy quest use the demo version and test it out :). And for your question the character move not automatically you must step up and down the charakter on ladders

40. magique

magique

When I played the demo, it automatically went up and down without press up/down keys.

What about the issue on the player course?

41. username_unity_of_my

username_unity_of_my

I used method like in resident evil games - player goes all the way up/down on ladder when used.
    I guess I could make it to go up/down on pressing keys, but I thought there are more important things to do before.
    Can you explain, please, the issue on player course demo - I tried it moments ago, and I couldn't find the issue - where it is in the demo?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  42. magique

magique

When you get really high up and you can walk out on the beams there is a place where you can jump up and grab a hold of a beam and climb left/right while hanging. At some point the text says you can press 'Use' to pull up or 'Jump' + 'Use' to reverse (presumably to flip around to the other side of the beam). But when I press either key combination, it does absolutely nothing.

43. username_unity_of_my

username_unity_of_my

Hmmm, Ok, i found two bugs ( error in setting up triggers not system error ). They are fixed.
    I will not change web player with updated version until I update whole system.

44. magique

magique

Awesome. Thanks.

45. castlesidegamestudio

castlesidegamestudio

Hi

Noticed you are planning on releasing 3.1 soon.

Was wondering if you had a roadmap of planned features.

I really like what I have seen so far.

Thanks so much!
    Brian

ocimpean likes this.
  46. username_unity_of_my

username_unity_of_my

Hello,
    plan is this:
    - in 3.1 - look at this page: 3.1 updates
    after 3.1:
    - additional features ( I already have this implemented - just not releasing now): more triggers: jump to ledge in front and repel from it, push/pull object, climb up/down rope EDIT: Oh yes, open - walk through door.
    - add inventory system
    - add saving & loading
    - character customization ( armor, helmets, pants/greaves etc. )
    - counterattacking
    - swimming
    - horse riding
    - improving animations & npcs & system overall
    Note that plans might change based on unforseen factors.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  47. castlesidegamestudio

castlesidegamestudio

Great!

I am especially looking forward to the following:

- counterattacking
    - swimming
    - improving animations & npcs & system overall

Cant wait!
    Brian

48. magique

magique

You should get with Malbers and have him do an integration. He already has integration with all other major 3rd person controllers and his next update is going to include improvements on them. Here is his asset:

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/48700

49. username_unity_of_my

username_unity_of_my

Sure, I'll consider it when I come to that bridge.

50. username_unity_of_my

username_unity_of_my

Ok, version 3.1 released!
    I'll repeat link to 3.1 updates: LINK

Here's videos of new stuff:
    Npc improvements mostly & player heavy attack added & scene transition saving:

TopDown Scene With Many Npcs:

Npcs Triggers & Obstacles Demo:

Here's new web player scenes to check out ( Third Person & Top Down ):
    Web Player

Thank you!