Search Unity

Changing the preview image?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Democide, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Democide

Democide

So, I have a bunch of custom ScriptableObject assets, and when I change the project view to show larger preview icons, I only get the default asset image. However I'd rather show something else to give me a better overview. What's the best way to change this?

2. McMayhem

McMayhem

Hey there Martin. I've got a whole bunch of custom icons and gizmos I use for my custom components so I've dabbled quite a bit in what you're talking about. I'm just a little bit confused on what exactly is happening on your side. Are you saying that you are able to set the icon and it reverts to the original C# icon when increasing the icon size in the Project tab?

Otherwise, I assume you've set up your icons using the drop down window on the Icon Object in the Inspector tab. Looks like this:

If you click on "Other..." it will open up the standard texture browser and you can pick from anything in there.

Hope that helps a bit.

3. Democide

Democide

So, I've fiddled with this a bit, and using RenderStaticPreview to show an image from within the asset, and now I have this:

Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 13.22.58 1.png

It does work but doesn't seem to update all the preview images.

Here's the code:

Code (CSharp):
    2.     public override Texture2D RenderStaticPreview(string assetPath, Object[] subAssets, int width, int height) {
    3.         Card targetCard = target as Card;
    5.         if (targetCard == null || targetCard.image == null || targetCard.image.texture == null)
    6.             return null;
    8.         var preview = AssetPreview.GetAssetPreview(targetCard.image.texture);
    10.         if (preview == null)
    11.             return null;
    13.         Texture2D cache = new Texture2D(width, height);
    14.         EditorUtility.CopySerialized(preview, cache);
    16.         return cache;
    17.     }
    Your solution doesn't seem to work, since it's only for c# assets, not .asset scriptable objects.

4. fernantastic

fernantastic

For anyone looking for the answer, Democide's solution works but the previews are generated when the asset is *created*. So in that case to fix the missing preview images the assets would need to be saved again.

5. Democide

Democide

Do you have a fix for that?