Search Unity

Car Tutorial

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by antenna-tree, Apr 24, 2010.

1. drift501

drift501

Hello. Whenever I import the tutorial into a project I get a whole bunch of errors. That doesn't really matter that much because it still works but it makes it hard to find errors in my scripts. But the main reason I am postin is that whenever I close unity and then re-open it the next day or whenever the models and scripts and everything are just gone. The files are still there but in the inspector it just says things like missing mesh and missing script. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Zac.

2. pinchmass

pinchmass

Is their any other source (asset store) or on the forums (that I have not come across) for a very simple (arcade if you like/mario kart) and also I presume very efficient car rig out their.

Or would this actually be possible with a character controller and I'm over thinking it

3. wipyk

wipyk

Sucks!
    This is nothing!! Or is this normal?
    http://www.kephost.com/view3.php?filename=a1_2012_9_11_clvf8p8002.jpg

4. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

No it's not normal. Looks like you are missing the level geometry. In the hierarchy window select the object called Track. Move the mouse into the Scene view, then press the 'f' key. That should show you where the track object is. Maybe the track is moved far away from the car. Did you console window show any errors?

5. LtKelleyUSMC

LtKelleyUSMC

That is really KEWL. Check out my video on YouTube of what I have produced with these TUTORIALS. It is MY racing game... A lot of this comes from Andrew Gotow's tutorial...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrXn-xqh9VA

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
    adel_deli likes this.
  6. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

7. mutazalhawash

mutazalhawash

Interesting i used that tutorial to create my graduation project before a year and it was really very helpful and useful :D thanks Unity

8. LouisSong

LouisSong

9. 2013GameLearner

2013GameLearner

I worked on Unity 3D Car Tutorial which can be found in "http://unity3d.com/gallery/demos/demo-projects". After finishing first pdf, the second one says, the car should move, but will flip etc.However, my car doesnot move and strangely, my game screen doesnot get maximized either when I use mine to play. What am I doing wrong ?

When I open the console, I see 2 errors. Appreciate the community feedback

UnassignedReferenceException: The variable reflectingMaterial of 'Generate2DReflection' has not been assigned.
    You probably need to assign the reflectingMaterial variable of the Generate2DReflection script in the inspector.
    Generate2DReflection.Start () (at Assets/Scripts/CSharpScripts/Generate2DReflection.cs:18 )

UnassignedReferenceException: The variable brakeLights of 'Car' has not been assigned.
    You probably need to assign the brakeLights variable of the Car script in the inspector.
    Car.GetInput () (at Assets/Scripts/JavaScripts/Car.js:254)
    Car.Update () (at Assets/Scripts/JavaScripts/Car.js:91 )

Appreciate the Game community feedback.

Thanks

10. 2013GameLearner

2013GameLearner

Okay, Feeling Good. Solved my own problem. Just for reference to help others in case they have similar problems
    In Car Game Object,
    1)Go to Inspector and in Brake Lights, choose CAR_Lights
    This will get rid of the brakelights variable error
    2)Again Go To Inspector and remove Generate2DReflection component. That reflecting material. I am not sure, if it came out of box from tutorial or I added. Whatever, if you remove, things are good and car moves

Thanks

11. TerraCo

TerraCo

Getting the following error when deploying the game to any platform. The game runs fine in the editor, and this only happens when using a car from the Alternate Physics folder. The regular car works, but I'm not too happy with the physics of that one (accelerating without pressing buttons etc)

When I click on the error in the list, it says the issue comes from line 268 of Wheel.cs
    $error.png

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  12. Divinux

Divinux

So I just spent the whole night figuring out the issue the previous poster had. Long story short for anyone stumbling upon this issue later on - don't give up, it still runs properly on Unity 4.

You have most likely seen this

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/364586/car-tutorial-raycast-issue-since-upgrade-unity-4-b.html

and this

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/40806-Script-not-working-in-build-ok-in-editor

by now. Same issue. after updating to U4 scripts compile, no errors in console, no errors in editor log, runs in editor but output log spewing
    Code (csharp):
    1. The file 'C:/[...]/mainData' is corrupted! Remove it and launch unity again![Position out of bounds! 89164 > 89160]
    and
    Code (csharp):
    1. Scene::raycastClosestShape: The maximum distance must be greater than zero!
    2. UnityEngine.Physics:INTERNAL_CALL_Internal_Raycast(Vector3, Vector3, RaycastHit, Single, Int32)
    3. UnityEngine.Physics:Internal_Raycast(Vector3, Vector3, RaycastHit, Single, Int32)
    4. UnityEngine.Physics:Raycast(Vector3, Vector3, RaycastHit, Single, Int32)
    5. UnityEngine.Physics:Raycast(Vector3, Vector3, RaycastHit, Single)
    6. Wheel:FixedUpdate() (at C:\[...]\Assets\Standard Assets\Scripts\CSharpScripts\Wheel.cs:268)
    What solved it for me in the end was actually creating a new project, and rebuilding the car from scratch. Not ideal, but now the output log is clean as can be and everything works as intended. Granted, for now with cube placeholders. I'll let you know if I run into issues with my assets. But yeah, try the solutions from the links, and if that doesn't work, it'll definitely be fixed by rebuilding it with nothing but the alternate scripts imported.

If you need reminding- root with a Rigidbody, Carcontroller, Drivetrain, SoundController. A collider child, and a CoG. Wheel scripts on 4 children, with the meshes parented to those.

Good luck, future people!

Edit: Okay, here's whats happening. The bare minimum for the alternate physics model works. When I added my other scripts to the folder, the console printed 6
    Code (csharp):
    1. BCE0018: The name 'Drivetrain' does not denote a valid type ('not found').
    I assumed it has to do with the compilation order as described here, so I put the 4-5 scripts that were 'not found' into the "Plugins" folder to have them compiled beforehand, and the rest of my scripts into an outside folder.

That made the console errors go away, but the problems in builds came back, corrupted mainData and raycasts going mad. So it's either a BCE0018 in the editor, or corrupted data in the build. What I did now was leave the few scripts in the Plugins folder, move everything else back in too, and delete any script giving out the bce0018. In my case that were Car.js, SoundToggler.js, Crashcontroller.js. None of them are used, I'm assuming they're leftovers from the arcade driving physics. With them deleted, it doesn't seem to matter where the rest of the scripts are, I do have an own script that gives the same error when in the same folder, so I pulled it outside, and it works fine. Builds are clean too.

So basically, check your project hierarchy, pull the scripts that need compiling first into the "Standard Assets" or "Plugins" folder, and delete the scritps giving BCE0018 errors, not the scripts they can't find.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  13. NullSignal

NullSignal

I'm having issues using this with custom models. I'm trying to use this script for my first game (I know, jumping in over my head) and I've modeled some cars, but I can't get them to stay upright and I'm having some camera issues. I'm not worried about the camera issue so much right now as the fact that my cars don't want to level after I apply the CenterOfMass. I can get them level on the Z axis or the X axis, but never both. It always wants to tilt on either axis, no matter where I place the CenterOfMass object. Anyone else have similar issues?

14. KCK360

KCK360

Ummm how do I get to the tutorial itself and how do I play the game?

15. Project Zero

Project Zero

Thanks you, i just try this and work fine.

16. mgfilm

mgfilm

my last minute thank you

17. dvu

dvu

I successfully built it for PC., Tested it. "play" with it.
    but(!). when I tried to build for android, I got these errors.
    When I tried to remove Car.js of project, compile errors for Android is no longer taking place, the scene loaded, but nothing else happened.
    please. kelp to resolve it

18. MichaelMcFarland

MichaelMcFarland

I'm not seeing the link for this project anymore. Does anyone know where it is?

To clarify, I don't see the link for the tutorial part. I did download the project and that worked fine. But I don't see any tutorials.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  19. snakebreath

snakebreath

It's in the assets store category >completed projects>tutorials

20. ItsAmee

ItsAmee

Hi,

I'm enjoying the tutorial and started working through the code to understand what's happening. I very occasionally get a NaN error from this line in the UpdateDrag() function.

rigidbody.AddForce(transform.TransformDirection(drag) * rigidbody.mass * Time.deltaTime);

I'm presuming it's the drag and checking if it's a number first eg.
    if ( (float.IsNaN(drag.x)) && (float.IsNaN(drag.y)) && (float.IsNaN(drag.z))) // my check added since occassionally got a NaN error

But that seems to screw the handbrake up, but I'm not sure as the handbrake doesn't seem to completely stop the car?

If it makes a difference I'm using Unity 4.3.7

Any suggestions welcome ;)
    Thanks,
    Andy

21. adel_deli

adel_deli

I can't find this tutorial ! is that exist any longer ?

+ Yeah I can find it in assets. so, there is no video for this tutorial ?

22. adel_deli

adel_deli

Hey you must save your scene, not only your project. create a folder in asset, name it Level or Scene, then file--> save scene ---> find your folder in asset folder, save it. then go back to the Project window at the Asset sub folder you can see your created folder, open it, you can see your saved scene there

23. Nirav-Madhani

Nirav-Madhani

when i export it to android it shows error

24. Ostwind

Ostwind

25. Nirav-Madhani

Nirav-Madhani

Any way i can make it for mobile ?

26. Ostwind

Ostwind

Only by optimizing everything in it and making it mobile compatible yourself. Probably requires you to remodel the car and level to have less details.

27. cl9-2

cl9-2

Only The C# version of the tutorial (under AlternatePhysics) works with Unity 5.

The Javascript version of the tutorial does not work with Unity 5.

The C# version uses its own custom wheel colliders, which are better than the Unity 4 wheel colliders, but slower than and not as capable as the Unity 5 wheel colliders.

I believe all of the models used in the Alternate Physics C# version are low-poly and suitable for mobile, but you'll need to make a number of changes to some scripts to work on Android, in particular the CarController class.

You'll need to replace all of the Input gathering code with code that reads from the accelerometer or input from a touch button. If your Android device is not as fast as an iPad Retina or Air, you'll also want to find another race track since it's not optimized for mobile, but not extremely high poly as to limit performance on newer devices.

28. Gaming-Dudester

Gaming-Dudester

How do u download it?

29. cl9-2

cl9-2

30. tanvir_reza

tanvir_reza

hello, its amazing. but i have a problem. i can't run this. car is jumping jumping and jumping. its starting automatically. i'm using unity5. plz some one help me...

31. avinash_unity542

avinash_unity542

32. kre2016

kre2016

Link to download Car Tutorial replay NOT FOUND / 404.
    if it's no longer available, please is there an alternate ?

Thanks!

33. Home_Builder

Home_Builder

I realize that this is a very old project - 2010 - Unity 2.n - I would like to try it. Can you please send me a link to the project files.