Search Unity

Capturing screenshots to sdcard?

Discussion in 'Android' started by paulbrighton, May 1, 2012.

1. paulbrighton

paulbrighton

I have an Samsung Galaxy Y (Android) and I'm using:

Code (csharp):
    1. Application.CaptureScreenshot("/mnt/sdcard/DCIM/Camera/screenshot.jpg");
    I have the write access drop box set to external but nothing is showing up in this folder. :(

This folder exists so I don't know why it isn't working?

I also tried:

Code (csharp):
    1. Application.CaptureScreenshot("/sdcard/DCIM/Camera/screenshot.jpg");
    If I try: Application.CaptureScreenshot("screenshot.jpg"); and run it in the editor it captures a screenshot just fine. Any ideas?

2. paulbrighton

paulbrighton

I used the DDMS tool from the SDK and it gave me the error:

Code (csharp):
    1. failed to open file at path: /mnt/sdcard/data/com.mycompany.myprogram/files/mnt/sdcard/DCIM/Camera/screenshot.png
    So it seems like Application.captureScreenshot always tries to write to the folder /mnt/sdcard/data/com.mycompany.myprogram/files when either because it is installed on the sd card or because write access is set to external (not sure which yet). But I want to save it to /mnt/sdcard/DCIM/Camera/ so it will show up in the gallery is there a way to do this?

I tried

Code (csharp):
    1. Application.captureScreenshot( "../../../../DCIM/Camera/screenshot.png")
    which works but this can't be the best solution. Really I would like a way to write an absolute path to the sdcard and the DCIM folder.

Is captureScreenshot supposed to behave like this or does this count as a bug?

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  3. jemonsuarez

jemonsuarez

I'm trying the same, and seems that the "/mnt/sdcard/data/com.mycompany.myprogram/files" path is attached to the string automatically, but didn't find a way to set a different one. I'm not familiar with Linux, and wasn't able to find a "go root" command other than the "go parent folder (../)" command (I think '//' should work, but didn't tryed yet). This path is usefull to save inernal application data, but you can't retrieve this data from file system.
    I have tryed on Samsung Ace and it works, will update with other devices and maybe it is the best way to access the sdcard.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  4. kookyoo

kookyoo

Hi, I'm facing the same issue. Did anyone succeed in saving data to DCIM folfer ? For now on my Nexus4 I can only access to an emulated external sdcard (because the device doesn't have one and don't seem to want me to write on internal one) and I'm not able to read those data from a computer even if they really are present.

5. jvil

jvil

6. maximus9600

maximus9600

Please note that Application.CaptureScreenShot is an asynchronous process. So it will take time for the image to appear. And if you want to open the image as soon as it is captured you can use the Application.persistentDatapath and copy its contents to the DCIM/Camera folder. Moving can take some time but i feel copy is a lot better

7. DeveshPandey

DeveshPandey