Search Unity

Canvas is huge

Discussion in 'Linux' started by knobby67, Apr 26, 2017.

1. knobby67

knobby67

Hi All,
    sorry if this is incorrect place, but I can only think this is some Lubuntu issue or Unity Linux build issue.

What my issue is I add a canvas to a scene, this is a "screen screen - overlay". My issue is the canvas is huge, I'm taking 20 seconds to scroll to the right end of the canvas. So placing buttons or images is just guess work in the scene view. However the game view is fine.

I've read tutorials, looked at videos but am unable to fix this. Is there an issue with canvas in linux scene view or am I doing something stupid?

Thanks.

Trentu likes this.
  2. Sir-Tiddlesworth

Sir-Tiddlesworth

This is completely normal behavior, and is the same on Windows and macOS.

When the canvas is set to screen overlay, its size is set to the same resolution as the game window.
    So if your window is 1920x1080 pixels, the canvas will be 1920 units long and 1080 units high (hence why it is so massive).

If you wish to have a smaller canvas, set it to either "Screen Space - Camera, or "World Space".

Alternatively, select the canvas and hit the "F" key. This will zoom out the camera so the whole canvas is visible.

3. knobby67

knobby67

Thanks that seems really odd behaviour. Makes it really hard to work out where to put things.

4. LaneFox

LaneFox

It is a fairly stupid way to do the Canvas design, but thats the way it is.

Typically you'll just toggle everything but the UI layer off when you want to work on the canvas, then turn the UI layer off when you're done. The layer toggles are on a dropdown in the top right.

5. Ziplock9000

Ziplock9000

I would like to add this is absolutely NOT a solution. This fundamentally changes how the camera works in-game. It's not just an editor UI toggle.

drbn, Talasas and HoodieSticks like this.