Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Can't push and merging deletes scripts

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by acr1378, Jul 12, 2017.

1. acr1378

acr1378

I'm having some very serious issues with Unity Collaborate. I'm linked to my colleague and we are both coding simultaneously. Periodically I am not able to publish any of my code. The only option is to update his changes. When I do that everything goes haywire. Collaborate cuts off scripts...literally deletes the bottom half of the script, and I lose all the changes I have made (and cannot retrieve them). When it first happened I lost a weeks worth of work. After that I was super careful about saving the files before every commit. But the issue has not been resolved. I'm now stuck in the same place. I've made a days worth of code changes and there is no option to push my changes. The only button that pops up is the option to Update my colleagues changes, which kills scripts outright.

I love Collaborate when it's working, but given how dramatically unreliable it's been I might have to switch back to my old methods. What do I do?

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @arandono! I'm so sorry that you're having issues. It sounds like there might be some confusion on Collab's workflow and I hope I can clear up any misunderstandings.

With Collab, it is not possible to Publish new changes if there are any outstanding Updates that need to be pulled from the server. This is to simplify the source control process by allowing you to resolve all conflicts before pushing them to the rest of your team.

That said, if any saved local changes conflict with changes from the server than a merge conflict should be prompted in the Collab Toolbar. We do have a fix on the way for the next 2017.1 patch and 2017.2 beta where Unity will prompt you to save your local changes before you pull any Updates. For now, though, you need to be manually saving the changes you want to keep when pulling, which it sounds like that's what you're doing.

Are you losing any of your changes when you save before you pull the latest Updates from the server?