Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't delete mono.exe leftover from 2017.1.0b7 install

Discussion in '2017.1 Beta' started by Soren025, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Soren025

Soren025

I noticed I still had the folder created for my 2017.1.0b7 install and went to delete it, however I am unable to. The culprit is the file `mono.exe` and all attempts to delete the file have failed saying I don't have access. Initial attempts saying I need administrator permissions to delete the file when I in fact am the adminstrator.

I have tried many things to remove this file, going so far as to attempt `TAKEOWN /F <filename>` in the admin console with no success.

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Did you try rebooting? Perhaps something locking the file.

3. Soren025

Soren025

No change after reboot.

4. Invertex

Invertex

I have experienced this issue as well on b9. Even though Unity was closed, the mono.exe file was still locked. But a restart did fix it for me. This still seems like an issue that needs to be fixed though, a file shouldn't remain locked after Unity dies.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  5. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Could you use Process Explorer to see what's locking the file? It's likely it's machine configuration specific, as we haven't seen this issue in house yet.

6. Soren025

Soren025

Not sure if what was used was Process Explorer, but my buddy did a search for processes that were touching the file and nothing showed up.

However this isn't a problem for me anymore because I was able to delete it just a few minutes ago. I haven't done anything out of the ordinary to actively try to delete the file, I just decided to try and delete it on a whim when I noticed this thread had some responses.

Still bugs me that the cause was not found, and that I won't really be able to find out on my end anymore.

7. Soren025

Soren025

Your experience did give me a possibility. When I said a reboot did not work, it was because between than and that my post my computer had been shut off and turned back on a few times. However just now when I tried and it worked it was one of the first things I did after turning on the computer.

I am no longer in a position to test this, and I am not too familiar with how applications lock and unlock files, but here is what I came up with. Perhaps the current install of Unity (b8 and then later b9 in their separate folders) somehow locked both its own and the b7 `mono.exe`. Then when closing unity, it would only unlock the `mono.exe` in its own directory.

8. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Windows automatically unlocks files when the process that was locking them is terminated. Something must have been actively using that file - perhaps some kind of anti virus software?