Search Unity

Can you copy rigs from DAZ Model

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ActivePrime, Apr 16, 2017.

1. ActivePrime

ActivePrime

Hello,

I got a project in which I have to retopologize the DAZ Model into low poly for Unity game engine.
    4 tasks I have to perform like retopologizing the model, texturing, Rigging and Blend Shapes.
    I just want to know, can I copy the rig of the highpoly model into the lowpoly which I am going to retopologize.
    I have 0 experience on rigging, please advise how should I take up this project.

Best Regards,
    M.Aqib

2. Teila

Teila

You should contact Daz about this. They have pretty strict requirements for using their stuff in games and you do have to pay for a license.

3. ActivePrime

ActivePrime

License issues the customer will handle, I have to do the job as described above.

4. ActivePrime

ActivePrime

Model SS attached

Attached Files:

5. drewradley

drewradley

Yes, DAZ Studio has a quick way to copy the rigging from one figure to the other. It's under "Edit/Figure/Rigging". You are better off asking in the DAZ forums for more specific help.

wccrawford and Ryiah like this.
  6. ActivePrime

ActivePrime

I don't have the DAZ studio, can I do the same in 3ds max ?

7. castlesidegamestudio

castlesidegamestudio

It appears from the image that you posted that you are using:

https://www.daz3d.com/selina-for-genesis-3-female

If that is the case, then you are not allowed to use that model in a game.

This is because there is no game license for that particular model.

A daz3d game license would cover models with the Daz Originals artist tag.

This particular model does not have a Daz Originals tag and those authors do not sell a gaming license at this time.

At least that is my understanding.

Your mileage may vary.

wccrawford likes this.
  8. drewradley

drewradley

DAZ Studio is free. Don't own 3ds max so I can't answer.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    wccrawford and DragonSAR2013 like this.
  9. Teila

Teila

I would make sure they do. If they get in trouble, they could say you used the Daz rig without permission or a license and therefore, blame you for it. Some clients are clueless. I would ask to see the license prior to giving them any work or exchanging money. You should have that written into a contract.

hopeful, theANMATOR2b, Ryiah and 4 others like this.
  10. DimitriX89

DimitriX89

If the Max version of the model is weighted by Skin modifier, you can use Skin Wrap modifier to transfer weights to different topology:

(2.35 explains Convert to Skin command)

ActivePrime and theANMATOR2b like this.
  11. daisySa

daisySa

OP: Assuming you do in fact want to use the Selina model, the answer is no. Demonica don't allow use of their DAZ models in games; i.e. no licence is available, regardless of whether you're happy to pay for it.

theANMATOR2b and Teila like this.
  12. ZJP

ZJP

ActivePrime likes this.
  13. DragonSAR2013

DragonSAR2013

I think it is possible to contact author or PA via DAZ to buy game license as well.

14. DragonSAR2013

DragonSAR2013

You can use free product DAZ Studio to Decimate DAZ characters which preserves character's rig and weight maps etc. DAZ support can advise more options.

ActivePrime likes this.
  15. ActivePrime

ActivePrime

I don't want to use anything, I just have to do this task for the customer and his game is already live on steam. He have to handle all of the stuff and the licensing issues. That's not the girl which you have posted the link to.

16. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

The lisences are literally all you have to deal with. The technical side is pretty straight forward for any decent artist.

'The client made me do it' is not a legitimate legal defense. So be careful.

Ryiah, Teila and Ostwind like this.
  17. ActivePrime

ActivePrime

Thank buddy, you helped a lot!

18. ActivePrime

ActivePrime

19. ActivePrime

ActivePrime

Thanks buddy, probably the most suitable option

20. drewradley

drewradley

If you decimate in DAZ, I recommend hiding the eyes and then exporting the eyes alone and parent them together in Unity. Even the lowest level of decimation will make the eyes look horrible. You can set the weights and give more priority to the eyes, but it is much faster and better to make the eyes separate.

DragonSAR2013 likes this.
  21. DragonSAR2013

DragonSAR2013

Very cool, I also like DAZ Studio's Texture Atlas option.

22. goat

goat

To answer you question you can't use those DAZ rigs or even a small texture from one of those models in a game without licensing rights from DAZ and once you do you can't even pass those rights on to the customer.

So

1) If you buy the rights it is only for use in your games and apps, you can't redistribute any of it in whole or as derivatives to anyone else, i.e. if your customer make a game using a product derived from a DAZ product see 2)
    2) The customer does need to buy the rights to a license but if you aren't distributing you actually don't need to
    i) Customer also needs to buy every single DAZ product you bought needed to recreate your DAZ derivative product
    3) Have you as the digital art expert hired informed your customer of that?
    4) Did they actually ask you to use DAZ 3D property? Are they expecting these extra expenses. You are their expert.

23. DragonSAR2013

DragonSAR2013

You can also try following character/asset system from DAZ 3D called MORPH 3D if license seems too complex to deal with.

Normally DAZ 3D support is really good in helping out and advising best options for license.

MORPH 3D:
    https://www.morph3d.com/

Unite 2015 video:
    https://youtu.be/I2FLLFaEmcE
    It is well integrated with Unity and allows character customization during runtime as well.