Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Can Unity's Servers Host My Multiplayer Game?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Brandonian, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Brandonian

Brandonian

I'm building a multiplayer game and I was wondering if there was a way to have Unity's servers host the game instead of a player acting as host? I'm having trouble finding the answer to this question. I can't even so much as find a straight Yes or No. If this is possible, could anyone explain how to set this up or point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Brandonian

Brandonian

Thanks for the help, The-Britain. I do not have a dedicated server. I'm kind of new to the whole networking thing, so what I need is the have Unity be the dedicated server, if that's possible. In other words, I don't want to have my machine or any player's machine be the server. Do you know if that's a possibility? I read the first link you gave, but I'm still unclear if Unity's servers can be the dedicated server.

3. Brandonian

Brandonian

Ok, well, I think I found the answer to my question. It appears that Unity only offers relay servers. So, unfortunately, that's not going to work for what I'm trying to do. Thanks again for the help, The-Britain, I'll have to look into something such as Photon to accomplish my goals.

4. TwoTen

TwoTen

Well. You can just rent a server. Amazon has quite good pricing. You can use that the same way you would if Unity hosted the servers