Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Mono Upgrade Can only debug once before a crash

Discussion in 'Experimental Scripting Previews' started by strich, Feb 17, 2017.

1. strich

strich

We're on the latest preview build with VS 2015 and the VSTools preview version. We've found that currently one can predictibly crash the editor by debugging something once, then trying to debug again shortly after. One has to close the editor and reload it before one can debug again.

This is not a complaint thread - We understand what a preview build is. :)

Just wondering if we should bother providing crash reports/dumps/etc? Happy to help in any way to speed things up. If not, we'll just sit back and deal with it.

Cheers.

2. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Actually, debugging managed code shouldn't work at all with the latest preview build. I'm surprised you got as far as you did!

We have corrected this internally though, and the next preview build will have managed debugging support.

3. strich

strich

haha. Yeah it works fine actually, until it doesn't. Good to know though.

4. dadude123

dadude123

1. Will we be able to move the execution cursor then? Thats currently not possible in the latest version (official / live 5.5, not preview).
    2. And evaluating expressions in the immediate window? At the moment anything other than "." (lookup a sub-value) will give an error like "operator + is not supported". Even most function calls don't work.
    3. Will breakpoints be on the right locations?

I'm not saying those things have priority or should be given priority. I can live without them. Just asking if the upgrade will bring those changes with it automatically :)

5. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@dadude123

We're not planning for any debugger improvements initially with the Mono runtime upgrade. We're just looking for feature parity with the current Mono runtime.

Can you submit bugs or feature requests for these issues though? I'd like to be able to capture them, even if I can't promise they will be implemented with the Mono runtime upgrade.

6. dadude123

dadude123

Yeah, that can't come soon enough, can't wait for it :D
    I was just wondering if those things are just a limitation of mono 2.0 (because it didn't exist at the time mono2.0 was made?) or if its something that Unity did / didn't do.

Will do! :)
    But yeah screw those improvements if it means the upgrade will be out faster :p

edit: fogbugz 883613_f7u961hk

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  7. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@dadude123

Thanks for the details in the bug report. We will investigate these issues.

8. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

Hello folks,

Jb here from the VS Tools for Unity team.

There are two things here:

1. Using VSTU with the Unity Mono Update Preview: get in touch with us at the email below and we'll share a custom build with newer fixes that we worked on in coordination with Unity.
    2. Supporting more features / bug reports. Adding new debugging capabilities that require the Mono Update will be rolled on gradually. We do want to hear about expressions that are not working for you! Breakpoints are a function of the debugging symbols and the C# compiler. Unity 5.5 shipped with a newer C# compiler that drastically improved those!

@strich, could you get in touch with vstusp at the company that does windows dot com?