Search Unity

Can I Use "Unity Essentials"?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PMasta, Mar 11, 2017.

1. PMasta

PMasta

Can I use Unity's own free assets in my games and outside of the Unity like other assets on the store or they have a different license?

2. Metron

Metron

Unless I'm wrong, but any asset bought on the asset store may only be used together with Unity. You may not use them with another engine.

3. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

I may be wrong but I'm understanding that this only applies to the free assets provided by Unity. If I buy music, models, or something else I would expect to be able to use it how I see fit though. If I'm wrong anybody can feel free to show me(wouldn't be the first time).

4. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

The Unity Asset Store Knowledge base states:
    However, each asset can come with it's own unique license(s). So you should always check each asset individually. The Asset Store EULA covers the general terms and conditions in full detail, but in section 2.2 it describes both "Non-Restricted Assets" and "Restricted Assets". So each asset can vary.

TL;DR - Always check the license of each individual asset.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  5. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

EDIT***
    The original post is between the "***" lines, and is not accurate. I had misread something in the EULA under discussion. "Restricted" assets aren't exclusively editor extensions, rather are an exception to some of the restricted asset details of the EULA. That's my bad. I'm leaving it here edited like this to make sure there is no misinformation, while making sure the topic is able to be followed, and to not hide the fact that I misread and made a mistake...sorry.

The "restricted" assets I saw mentioned are specifically the ones that are "editor extensions" and honestly there isn't any way to "directly" use those assets in other engines, unlike media, and even code to a certain extent.

But yes, it is best to check the license of the specific asset to be sure.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  6. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

@kburkhart84 I only pointed that "Restricted Assets" section out to illustrate that conditions vary from asset to asset. For example, the official "Unity-chan!" model provided by Unity themselves comes with it's own unique license that I believe restricts commercial use of it. So you should always check the license for each asset.

7. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

No problem. I didn't "interpret" anything there, you didn't say something wrong or anything like that. It seems we agree it is best to check licenses. That's good.

8. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

@kburkhart84 Of course, just trying to clarify my intent. We both agree that it's best to check the license for each individual asset.

By the way, how did you learn that "Restricted Asset" specifically applies to editor extensions? I know that editor extensions have unique restrictions, but I can't find anything in the EULA that suggest "Restricted Asset" applies specifically to them.

The Asset Store EULA section 2.9 states:

9. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

That's my bad...I read too quickly on that. The part I'm saying is that some of the restrictions on "restricted" assets won't apply to editor extensions.

10. Mikael-H

Mikael-H

Just to add to the confusion a little bit...

In section 2.2 there are mentions of "Non Restricted Assets" and "Restricted Assets". Now, I have always assumed that this means all assets are unrestricted unless there is a specific license applied that says otherwise. As I am now pleading the case to use assets at work the question arises:

Does it actually say anywhere that assets are unrestricted unless otherwise specified?

Apparently management is not as comfortable to "assume" the above as I have been in my own coding endeavours :)

11. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

@Mikael-H I think section 2.9 (quoted in post #8) makes it clear that all “Restricted Assets” are designated such in the accompanying materials. Everything else (with the exception of editor extensions) are "Non Restricted" unless otherwise noted in the accompanying materials. The Unity-chan! and Adam Character Pack assets are good examples of restricted assets that even warn you in their asset store description pages.

Disclaimer
    : That's just my own interpretation however. You should check with Unity if you want to be completely certain. So don't sue me if I'm wrong :)

Mikael-H likes this.
  12. Mikael-H

Mikael-H

Ahh, good point, I missed that section. I actually did contact Unity for a clarification and am awaiting their clarification. I'll report back here what they say when they answer.

13. GoodOldGames2017

GoodOldGames2017

Hi Mikael-H, may I ask if you have finally got Unity's staff clarification regarding the above?

14. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

@GoodOldGames2017 I think sections 2.2, 2.3 and 2.9 of the Unity EULA make things pretty clear. You should read through the EULA in it's entirety if you're at all concerned about Asset usage.

If you don't understand the EULA after reading it then you probably just have to get an attorney to help you understand it, but in most cases that's a bit extreme and unnecessary. I only gave a disclaimer before because he was talking about using it at his place of work and I didn't want anyone to take my input as legal advice.

I don't think Unity will respond to any general inquires on the topic because that would probably make them legally venerable and that's what the EULA is supposed to protect everyone from. It would be foolish for Unity to just email individual people and say "Yeah, you can use the assets." when the EULA is meant to address all uses cases and cover all legal aspects in great detail already.

15. GoodOldGames2017

GoodOldGames2017

Thanks, of course we all know that legal terms are very subjective on a case by case basis. I have indeed read through the EULA and also having the same question as the initial author here (found this post whilst searching for answer). As the initial author had stated he will attempt to get response from Unity official staff and will get back to here with an answer, I don't think it really hurts for me to just ask whether he did or did not get a reply, right?
    It is an indication of responsibility as an end user to try to understand and avoid violating the EULA, and I do not think your way of lecturing is helping except letting me know that, either I cannot read, or I am too dumb to understand what I read, and that I am asking dumb question that will never get answered.

16. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

@GoodOldGames2017 I was not trying to lecture you so sorry if I gave you that impression. I was just trying to explain why I don't think you or anyone will get a response from Unity. The EULA is supposed to cover all that and it's really up to the end-user to understand and agree to abide by it. Unity is under no obligation to help anyone understand it and trying to do so would probably only lead to legal problems which the EULA is supposed to prevent.

If it helps you I can at least give you my own understanding of this in layman terms.

From what I understand, any asset on the Asset Store that doesn't come with any explicit license(s) can be incorporated into "electronic games and interactive media" and distributed without restrictions. However, you may not redistribute and/or sell the asset alone, it must be a part of a released and complied game, but it doesn't have to be a Unity game.

If an asset does include license(s) then this can override the standard EULA and you will need to read each included license to find out what exactly the terms and conditions for that particular asset are. Additionally, any asset designated as a “Restricted Asset” by Unity can only be used for personal and non-commercial purposes.

Hope this helps you!

Actually, the goal of all legal jargon is the exact opposite! It is however sometimes hard to follow because they're intentionally trying to make the wording as unambiguous, clear and objective as possible, at least from a legal standpoint.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  17. Mikael-H

Mikael-H

Sorry, totally forgot about this thread :) Yeah I got a response from Unity, I have actually been back and forth mailing them concerning Asset Store EULA (which changed during the time as well...)

The answer I got from them was along the lines of that @IsaiahKelly wrote above.
    I have gotten response from Unity sales department on direct questions. They have actually been very forthcoming. They do weigh their words very carefully though so you may need to ask with very specific questions what you need clarified.

Note however, that they can change the EULA without telling you, and you will implicitly have agreed to the new EULA by using any asset, so make sure to check the EULA for updates before any release (see section 10.2 of the EULA: "You understand and agree that if you use the Unity Asset Store and the Assets after the date on which the Terms have changed Unity will treat your use as acceptance of the updated Terms.")

I tried to get a proper clarification of that part as it sounds ridiculous to me (just consider them adding a clause saying you need to jump on one leg for a year, and you do not know they have added it, but you agree to it just by using the asset) but the only answer I got was something like: "Yeah but that would apply to all our customers so we will not add a large change lightly". Funny thing is, they never said that "No we definitely cannot make you jump on onw leg for a year", just that they prpbably will never add such a clause due to it being bad business on their part... :D

18. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

Thanks for responding @Mikael-H. I'm no lawyer and just throwing theories out there which is probably a bad idea. :) Upon reconsideration I guess answering general specific questions would be totally fine since they already have the EULA to protect them as the final word on any legal matters. These questions can also help them update and refine the wording of the EULA. So it's probably a good idea to always email Unity support directly whenever you need something clarified.

As for section 10.2, I'm sure that's just a precautionary clause to protect them in the event of a legal dispute over updated terms. I'm also sure there are legal limitations to what they can require an end user agree to do. Jumping on one leg for a year seems highly unlikely, but of course they don't want to rule out any legal options they might have. So they won't give you a definitive "No" :)

Mikael-H likes this.