Search Unity

Can I use free assets commercially?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by IvanDonets, Apr 17, 2016.

1. IvanDonets

IvanDonets

So this is a question that appeared. I download free assets from assets store (also from other sources), and I am not sure if I can include them in commercial version of a game and sell it. How do I know if asset is really free? Or if it is free on assets store, I still may need to contact publisherr and ask him if he allows to include that asset in my commercial game?
    Aslo, I am sure that there are different free licenses.
    I am just asking because I can't buy at the moment some commercial assets, so i am using just free (from assets store mostly) instead.
    I am mostly interested about licenses of 3d models/characters with their animations (say, I use model of samurai, zombies, troll etc).

hopetolive likes this.
  2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Your biggest concern will generally be with the other sources. The Asset Store is not a problem unless there is a custom license included with the asset specifically forbidding commercial use. If there isn't then you're free to use it.

3. IvanDonets

IvanDonets

All right, if i can make commerical game with such assets, then it is a good news ;-) Still, can I use those free assets (without mentioned license) from assets store for my own assets (commercial)?

As for other sources. Hm, I don't know how where to get the license(s) for those files. I just think that if I can freely download some file (say, I use fbx 3d models, no animations), then it is also free for commercial use, no?

I just wonder, if those 3d models are available for free downloading, they must be free any use, 100%, including for commercial use. Am I right?

Well, in fact I'ld be happy to share income from selling a game with those free assets with those who made them, but as far as I can undestand, usually it is not possible to contact creator of asset (I am not talking about assets store). But if asset is so fine, then why I not use it, even though I can't contact its author?

4. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

I'd say if you aren't sure about it, then you probably aren't safe using it. Many free assets are actually safe to use for commercial usage.. But the website you are getting them from generally is quite clear on this, so you would be sure you are good. If that is not the case, then it is possible you are taking a risk. Also, note that there are many resources that you can use for free, but only non-commercially.

I know you want to make games, and are not necessarily an artist. But sometimes, for some things, you are better off either learning to make your own assets, or paying someone(or getting someone for free if you can find someone) to do them for you. The issue isn't only in the possible liability of using free assets that aren't really legal, but also in how difficult it can be to make things work in the same style as your game is, and this is even worse when you have assets from multiple places.

ADNCG and Kiwasi like this.
  5. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

All assets on the asset store can be used in commercial products, but I wouldn't use any free assets that aren't provided by Unity in a asset you are creating to sell - unless it is for demonstration purposes only.
    Two exceptions - 1. The Unity essential assets are free to use for commercial purposes and to use in assets you create to put on the asset store.
    2. I believe Unity Chan has a separate eula which eliminates use in commercial products.

From other sources (not asset store) If you don't know about the license use for those assets - It's best not to use them in a commercial game. A lot of freely available and downloadable content is available for use for learning purposes only, not for commercial use.

hopetolive, Ryiah, ADNCG and 2 others like this.
  6. IvanDonets

IvanDonets

so, the "default free license" for assets from other sites is just for learning, non-commercial use? ;-(

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

It entirely depends on the site itself. Always read any site and asset licenses. Additionally keep in mind that some sites are known for having copyrighted works. Be wary of assets from any store aside from the official Asset Store as you could run into legal trouble.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  8. bmwm

bmwm

where is it mentioned in the asset store for a free item for example that it can or cannot be used in commercial purposes?i sought an axe for example,it's free to use,but i cannot see if for commercial use or anything

9. LaneFox

LaneFox

Unless there is a custom EULA that specifically forbids it then the asset is legally usable in a commercial project as long as it is compiled into the build and not distributed in a raw format (like, an axe shipped with a game as an .fbx file in the game folder).

10. Teila

Teila

One point to remember, you cannot just package up free assets and sell them as assets. You can sell your game that includes the assets.

sjdull1234 likes this.
  11. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

All assets from the store, including free assets, are covered by the same license. See Appendix 1 section 2.2:

https://unity3d.com/legal/as_terms

"Restricted Assets" are the ones that can have restrictions on commercial use, but it should be clear before downloading the asset that what you're getting is a Restricted Asset. If you don't see anything mentioning that, then you are safe to assume the regular license is in full effect, which allows for commercial use in completed builds.

Non-restricted assets can also have some additional terms, but they can only be less restrictive than the Unity license. For example, a strict reading of Appendix 1 section 2.2.1 could be interpreted as not allowing for assets to be used in trailer videos for a game which includes the assets, since the license only allows for use in games or interactive media, and a video is neither. When I released some models on the asset store for sale I specifically included that they can additionally be used for making video content or screen shots.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  12. dactandn0

dactandn0

Sorry, but I have a question:
    Can I use unity Assets bought in youtube videos and game written use other platforms (not Unity) -
    p/s: Iam Vietnamese and not good at English to understand EULA. :(
    Thanks for reading

13. As long as you do not distribute them (show the source code of the asset line by line, etc), yes, you can show them, but you can't give them away. Not even the free ones!

Depends on the assets. Usually yes, except if it is a Unity-created asset.

Disclaimer: IMNAL (I am not a lawyer). Also, I can be wrong, I haven't read the EULA in a while. If you're serious about your game, talk to a lawyer.

14. ADNCG

ADNCG

Wondered for a second why the abbreviation started with IM.

omarzk5 likes this.
  15. feratechinc

feratechinc

Be careful, your biggest concern here is that the website you got these assets from got them legally. If you use these assets and they are stolen you will be held responsible, not the website.

16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Nothing you get from asset store is your property. You can only sell your own property on asset store.

angrypenguin likes this.